E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Check Engine light for car software upgrade?

02-11-2010, 11:58 PM   #1
smartbing
Rep
Drives: 2009 335XI

Check Engine light for car software upgrade?

Hey Guys:
Recently my Check Engine light was on, the car only has 3500 km on it now.
The car shakes badly twice when I was idling.
Took the car to the dealer and they did the check up, told me that there seem no problem with the car, and it would need a firmware upgrade to get rid of the Check Engine light. They car is only like 6 month old, 2009 335xi, I told them to go ahead, but still wondering why would a 6 month old car need a firmware upgrade for the computer system?

Anyone had this problem before? Many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 12:06 AM   #2
Bimmer This
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Sounds like you had a couple misfires while idling. Are you in a lot of cold weather?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 09:44 AM   #3
freekobe15
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335i

This has happened to me too!!! I was driving to work and my check engine light came on, the car was driving normal and I just happened to be coming up on the exit to the service department and decided to take the car in since I was right there. I have an 08 335i with 33K on it and it's probably on its 3rd hpfp, with the last being replaced 1 month ago. I pick the car up a few days later and they said it was just a software update and that nothing was wrong with the car, when I looked at my paperwork it read "Fault code 30ff Turbocharger, charge-air pressure too low" followed by some blah blah blah stating nothing was found and tests were ok. Sounded a bit fishy to me... but as I mentioned the car seemed to be okay. I would like to know as well...
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
smartbing
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer This View Post
Sounds like you had a couple misfires while idling. Are you in a lot of cold weather?
Yah the weather is cold, but I only drove it for like 5 times during the winter. Most of the time it was parked in the garage.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 11:25 AM   #5
smartbing
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freekobe15 View Post
This has happened to me too!!! I was driving to work and my check engine light came on, the car was driving normal and I just happened to be coming up on the exit to the service department and decided to take the car in since I was right there. I have an 08 335i with 33K on it and it's probably on its 3rd hpfp, with the last being replaced 1 month ago. I pick the car up a few days later and they said it was just a software update and that nothing was wrong with the car, when I looked at my paperwork it read "Fault code 30ff Turbocharger, charge-air pressure too low" followed by some blah blah blah stating nothing was found and tests were ok. Sounded a bit fishy to me... but as I mentioned the car seemed to be okay. I would like to know as well...
I would see the paper works today, they had to park the car for the night for the software, don't know why tho. But the car only had 3K on it! Man! So mad.
Appreciate 0