BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-12-2010, 09:04 PM   #1
floralscent
Rep
Drives: silver x3

extended maintenance?

I am in the process of purchasing an '07 BMW X3 CPO with 31,000 miles on it. The original maintenance warranty expires 11/2010 and I am wondering if it is worth spending $1,895 on the extended maintenance (I drive about 12,000 to 15,000 miles a year). Is the extended maintenance the exact same coverage as the original maintenance? Is there a deductible with the extended? I hear that the extended can be purchased after the car is purchased but before the original expires but costs more. Is this true?

Since this is my 1st BMW, I have no experience with BMW maintenance costs or time intervals of maintenance. I have been unable to find costs online for oil changes, oil service costs, wiper blade costs, brake replacement costs, inspection 1 & 2, etc. to know if the extended plan is worth the cost. At what point do brakes usually need replacement...before or after the extended maint. expires? The brakes are at 9 and 8 on the certification report.

I was hoping that someone could chirp in with maintenance costs and extended maintenance experience. I just can't decide what to do.

Thanks so much-
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 09:39 AM   #2
vrrooom
SES
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: 335ix'09,X3'11&911TCab

Garage List
2009 335ix  [0.00]
1987 Turbo Cab  [0.00]
2011 X3 3.5  [0.00]
Smile Some Experience with BMW Extended Maintence

I have Extended Maintence and Warentee coverage on both my X3's and would note that you need to pay $50 each visit to the dealer. But I have more than covered the cost with Brake pad/Disc replacements on both Axles (retail at $1K) 3 oil changes (at $100 each) and several electronic failures of modules all this in 75K miles. Make certain you know what is coverered, for example the Nav/Radio is covered under the origional warentee, but not the extended warentee that I have. I had the radio replaced under the origional warentee and it was over $1K, the Nav would be even more. All in all i found the warentees expensive but worth it. Negotiate with the dealer on a BMW warentee, they have a 30/40% margin, in fact you can get the warentee from any dealer and it is good anywhere.
Appreciate 0