E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Just wondering how common HPFP failures are

02-13-2010, 11:07 AM   #1
steelknight7d
steelknight7d
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i Msport,Le Mans Blue

Just wondering how common HPFP failures are

Ive been reading alot of posts on here about problems with the 335i HPFP and stuff like that and this is my 2nd bmw but i want to know is how common are these problems and do i need to be thinking of getting another car oh and ive posted 2 other topics on here and nobody repiled and I thought thats what this forum was for any ways any inside knowledge on these problems would be helpful
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
continentalg5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I don't think they are ultra common, but enough to cause concern.

Didn't they change the part number recently?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 11:15 AM   #3
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

It seems that some people can have multiple replacements, and others, none. As if the hpfp isn't the root cause, and continually replacing them doesn't eliminate the root cause....
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
maswastage
Resident Diesel Junkie
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW 335d

It's hard to judge; based on this forum you'd think it's guaranteed to fail everybody at least once. But I've met people who have never experienced a failure and, in fact, had no idea what I was talking about.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 11:24 AM   #5
steelknight7d
steelknight7d
United_States
Rep

well not just hpfp all the problems my 1st bmw was 2008 328i never heard nothing bad about them but I always wanted a 335i and when i got back from Iraq i got a good deal on the 1 I have just dont want 2 go through drama b4 that i'll just get another car
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 11:53 AM   #6
Angry3
All your 1 are belong to us!!!
Rep
Drives: '08 135i 'Vert

I've seen this question asked more times than I can count, and I still don't get why anyone would sell their car or not buy one over the HPFP issue.

Is the failure rate on them acceptable? Of course not.
Has BMW's response been as timely or thorough as it should have been. Probably not.

Would I sell my 135 because of the possibility the HPFP might fail, perhaps several times? Please.

I guess I'm a bit jaded, the 135 isn't my first BMW and when I had my E36 M3 I was a regular visitor to the dealer. I expected my 135 to be the same, and it hasn't suprised in that regard (4 trips to the dealer in my first year with it for various issues and service.)

Why do I tolerate it? There's nothing I could have bought for any sane amount of money that had a better combo of performance, practicality, amenities, and competence as a daily driver.

Honestly, if your car starting and getting you where you want to go reliably is your top priority and/or your life or others depend on that, or you just can't stand to have to take time to take a car in for repair, then you shouldn't own a BMW to begin with. IMHO having to deal with issues with pumps, sensors, gremlins, and sometimes things much more significant is just part of owning a BMW, and certainly part of owning an N54 car.

I think a lot of people on here are new to the brand and I appreciate their frustration with this HPFP situation. That said, I've don't ever recall hearing anyone claim that BMWs were the most reliable cars in the world, especially given their expense. In the end everyone has to decide what their tolerance for dealing with issues is and base their decisions accordingly.

Good luck OP.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 03:39 PM   #7
steelknight7d
steelknight7d
United_States
Rep

its crazy to hear all this about the hpfp and my worry is that i'm going to the states now after being stationed in germany for awhile i dont know where to take my car if something happens i'll be stationed at Fort Sill OK so if theres any1 in that area that can tell me where to go it would be real helpful
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 03:58 PM   #8
Zero.7
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340i AW M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry3 View Post
I've seen this question asked more times than I can count, and I still don't get why anyone would sell their car or not buy one over the HPFP issue.

Is the failure rate on them acceptable? Of course not.
Has BMW's response been as timely or thorough as it should have been. Probably not.

Would I sell my 135 because of the possibility the HPFP might fail, perhaps several times? Please.

I guess I'm a bit jaded, the 135 isn't my first BMW and when I had my E36 M3 I was a regular visitor to the dealer. I expected my 135 to be the same, and it hasn't suprised in that regard (4 trips to the dealer in my first year with it for various issues and service.)

Why do I tolerate it? There's nothing I could have bought for any sane amount of money that had a better combo of performance, practicality, amenities, and competence as a daily driver.

Honestly, if your car starting and getting you where you want to go reliably is your top priority and/or your life or others depend on that, or you just can't stand to have to take time to take a car in for repair, then you shouldn't own a BMW to begin with. IMHO having to deal with issues with pumps, sensors, gremlins, and sometimes things much more significant is just part of owning a BMW, and certainly part of owning an N54 car.

I think a lot of people on here are new to the brand and I appreciate their frustration with this HPFP situation. That said, I've don't ever recall hearing anyone claim that BMWs were the most reliable cars in the world, especially given their expense. In the end everyone has to decide what their tolerance for dealing with issues is and base their decisions accordingly.

Good luck OP.
AGREED. I definitely knew ahead of time before purchasing. I've driven the 3 series since 2002. I just love the overall driving dynamics of this car. As long as the problem can be easily "resolved" and I am on my way, I can live with it. Plus, with the extended warranty on these HPFPs, I'm covered for a very long time (longer than I intend to keep my car at least).

So, it's a biatch that we have to deal with this issue, BUT not enough to sway me to another make or model. And for those who love the current 3 series but can't accept the HPFP issue, just get the 328i.

'16 f30 AW 340i M-sport
8-speed Auto
BMW ///M Performance Power and Sound Kit with Carbon Tips / Gloss Black Performance grilles
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 04:35 PM   #9
maswastage
Resident Diesel Junkie
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cni2i View Post
. And for those who love the current 3 series but can't accept the HPFP issue, just get the 328i.
Or 335d
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 05:23 PM   #10
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
It's hard to decipher the amount of HPFP related problems in 335's. It only looks common on this board because people don't post about how well there HPFP works, only about when they fail. I'm not saying the problem is among a small percentage but no one can really give you an accurate estimate. HPFP failures just happen and are usually sudden failures. Some people experience long cranks before failures and others just fail out of no where.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 08:54 AM   #11
steelknight7d
steelknight7d
United_States
Rep

thanks for all the info i love my 335i and i had a 328i but with the 335i i plan on keeping it for awhile just trying to learn bout all the bad things i hear but like i asked b4 if any1 knows where to take my car if something was to happen in fort sill ok it would be real helpful i'm still in germany wont be there until the 8th of march just trying to get ahead of the game
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 09:48 AM   #12
Why Knot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

It is very strange that those who have had hpfp failures seem to have multiple failures while most have no failure. The hpfp warranty for my 2009 135i has just been extended to 10 years/120K miles. This is not a solution, but at least hpfp failure won't cost anything for a long time.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 12:50 PM   #13
doggiedog
Captain
Japan
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i 6MT SG/BL

I just had my second HPFP put in on Friday at 8900 miles. My first one went at 2500 miles. My HPFPs never failed but they did have symptoms of something wrong. My dealership has been very good about proactively fixing the problem. My service agent said I got the new HPFP so I'm hoping it will last this time.

I changed my gasoline for the second HPFP. I only put in BP 93. Before I put in Sunoco and Hess 93. There are no Shells in my neighborhood.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 03:53 PM   #14
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

N55 might be HPFP free, you will never know...
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 11:27 PM   #15
Craig@SupremePower
G.O.A.T.!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 GMC Yukon XL

very common...
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 11:45 PM   #16
Bobby_LeMans
Banned
Rep
Drives: your mom wild!

Knock on wood....got car since Aug. nothing yet
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 01:07 PM   #17
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

BMW just scrapped all the old pumps!

Had to take mine in this morning for long crank problems, and the service advisor told me they just got a memo from BMWNA directing them to scrap ALL the old number pumps they might have in stock, and to order and install ONLY the new part number, made by Continental as a replacement for the Bosch pump.

I guess they decided they were all going to fail eventually. I mentioned that survey to the service advisor, and his reply was "ONLY 30%?"

So in case your dealer didn't get the word, don't accept a replacement pump without the new part number ending in 943.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 01:42 PM   #18
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by maswastage View Post
It's hard to judge; based on this forum you'd think it's guaranteed to fail everybody at least once. But I've met people who have never experienced a failure and, in fact, had no idea what I was talking about.
+1 on that one.

I've never had an issue with my pump either, but then you see posts with guys on their 5th one.

I'd speculate that there is something in the fuel that's killing them. All they do is pump fuel from the tank, pressurize the rail and bleed back to the tank. If it was something physically wrong with the pump, then it should be more common.

A couple of years ago, Shell up here had issues with a refinery, and if you used fuel from that batch, you risked the fuel pump or fuel sender gumming up (something like that). They were covering replacing these parts. And way back when, ethanol was bad for seals in carbs. Could be the same type of deal. More ethanol on certain fuels. Pure speculation though.

What I'm pretty sure of is if it was fully widespread, or root of the cause was fully known, BMW would most likely do the change to get rid of the problem, instead of increasing the warranty and swapping pumps.

My 2 cents...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 04:02 PM   #19
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
+1 on that one.

What I'm pretty sure of is if it was fully widespread, or root of the cause was fully known, BMW would most likely do the change to get rid of the problem, instead of increasing the warranty and swapping pumps.

My 2 cents...
Well, since they just told their dealers to scrap all the old pumps they have in stock, I guess they did decide "do the change". A recall would cost a lot more than just replacing the pumps under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 05:47 PM   #20
The Cleaner
Thats all you need to know.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 , 2016 X5

The HPFP is the best reason to buy a 335, it has the longest warranty period for any system on the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 01:21 PM   #21
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromisdesigns View Post
Well, since they just told their dealers to scrap all the old pumps they have in stock, I guess they did decide "do the change". A recall would cost a lot more than just replacing the pumps under warranty.
I thought I read that some guys were still having issues with the new pump model number though? I may have mis-read that though.

I fully agree with their position though. If it's a small percentage, then it's just cheaper to do the swap when it dies. It would be different if it failed in a way that blew fuel inside the engine compartment. Then it would be a recall.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 01:57 PM   #22
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I think it's too early to tell whether the new pump will fix the problems, or not. Like anything else, you have to expect some of the new ones will be defective -- the real question is, will it be a tiny percentage, to be expected of any mechanical part, or the widespread failures of the original version. The jury is still out on that one.
Appreciate 0