E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Sport seats, issue with side bolsters...

02-15-2010, 03:31 AM   #1
XJS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335iM

Arrow Sport seats, issue with side bolsters...

Hi everyone. I recently bought myself a 335i touring, or wagon as it's called in the states. A wonderful car and I hoped my first post would be somewhat of a happy happy joy joy story.

Unfortunately I have run in to one issue, which I'm hoping someone out there has had as well so I know what to expect. I've used the search function but have come up with nothing.

My car is equipped with the M-sport package which also include sport seats which has side bolsters which you can adjust by a switch. When pressing the swtich you blow air into the side bolsters, or you can deflate them.

On my driver's side however, this no longer functions correctly. My left bolster is completely filled with air, while the right one is deflated. Pressing the switch to blow air into them, causes the motor to sound properly, but I only get a minimal effect on the left bolster. Nothing happens with the right one. Deflating them does nothing, basically no sound at all (I don't know how to describe it, but there is supposed to be a "whooshing" sound when the air is released).

Anyone else that has had this problem? Can I do something on my own to fix it?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 03:36 AM   #2
EJ_92606
Ultimate Driving Machine
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 550i; '11 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJS View Post
Hi everyone. I recently bought myself a 335i touring, or wagon as it's called in the states. A wonderful car and I hoped my first post would be somewhat of a happy happy joy joy story.

Unfortunately I have run in to one issue, which I'm hoping someone out there has had as well so I know what to expect. I've used the search function but have come up with nothing.

My car is equipped with the M-sport package which also include sport seats which has side bolsters which you can adjust by a switch. When pressing the swtich you blow air into the side bolsters, or you can deflate them.

On my driver's side however, this no longer functions correctly. My left bolster is completely filled with air, while the right one is deflated. Pressing the switch to blow air into them, causes the motor to sound properly, but I only get a minimal effect on the left bolster. Nothing happens with the right one. Deflating them does nothing, basically no sound at all (I don't know how to describe it, but there is supposed to be a "whooshing" sound when the air is released).

I don't believe the side bolsters fill with air but are rather just motorized. The lumbar support does fill with air. I had a short with the wiring under my seat which caused the switch for the side bolsters to burn out. Perhaps you are experiencing a similar issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 04:11 AM   #3
XJS
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
I don't believe the side bolsters fill with air but are rather just motorized. The lumbar support does fill with air. I had a short with the wiring under my seat which caused the switch for the side bolsters to burn out. Perhaps you are experiencing a similar issue.
I always assumed it was air that filled the side bolsters, thanks for clearing that out.

It would be nice if it's just a short in the wiring, do you know if there is a way for me to check this by myself? I have an appointment with BMW in a couple of weeks but it would be nice to reset the side bolster somehow since it is quite annoying to have the left side dig into my hip...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 12:53 PM   #4
SS e93
Captain
Rep
Drives: e93 M3

it definitely sounds like air especially when widening (deflating) them. and it just doesnt have that motor feel when adjusting them. could be wrong. i only have bolsters, no lumbar.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 12:56 PM   #5
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
It sounds like air to me, does anyone have a diagram of the internal parts?
      02-15-2010, 01:26 PM   #6
campbelly
AC Schnitzel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

same sorta thing happened to me where there was a lot of air on one side and not the other and it wasnt deflating. what i did was i held down the button on the deflate position while i squeezed or "milked" the air out with my hands akin to a farmer massaging the utter of a lactating calf. im no mechanic, or a farmer for that matter, but the problem seemed to be solved after i tried this...hope it helps
      02-16-2010, 01:08 AM   #7
XJS
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbelly View Post
same sorta thing happened to me where there was a lot of air on one side and not the other and it wasnt deflating. what i did was i held down the button on the deflate position while i squeezed or "milked" the air out with my hands akin to a farmer massaging the utter of a lactating calf. im no mechanic, or a farmer for that matter, but the problem seemed to be solved after i tried this...hope it helps
I did speculate on the fact that since one is blown up, and the other is deflated, it creates a catch 22. Was your solution a permanent solution? Sounds like it could happen again.

I'll try "milking" the bolster after work
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 01:56 AM   #8
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbelly View Post
akin to a farmer massaging the utter of a lactating calf.

02-16-2010, 11:13 AM   #9
XJS
Private First Class
Rep

Well, just tried out the "milking process" suggested. It did help in a sense, because I was able to deflate the left bolster manually. But the right bolster is still completely deflated and won't inflate at all. The left bolster functions properly, except it won't deflate unless I "milk" it manually...

I don't think it's a shorting in the wires either, because the switch does inflate the left bolster, and I hear a clicking sound when I try to deflate it (but of course, no whooshing sound since the air isn't let out unless above process is used). The passenger sport seat still functions properly and it does generate a louder clicking sound when the button is pressed to deflate the bolsters. But other than that it's a similar response.

Any other tips out there?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #10
JayTdotP
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Coupe Navi

Old thread but.. Anyone else experiencing this problem?? this problem just popped up on my car the other day, im trying to find a fix.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #11
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM X3M

Wait...so the seats in an M-Sport are different than the seats that come in a Sports Package (ZSP)???
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 10:42 AM   #12
vinnyraj
Vin's Diesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

similar issue

I just noticed a similar issue, except my bolsters inflate, but then they dont hold the air...it deflates within 10 minutes. I havent tested the passenger seat yet.

taking it into the dealer tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 11:11 AM   #13
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp4cheddar View Post
Wait...so the seats in an M-Sport are different than the seats that come in a Sports Package (ZSP)???
No they are the same. What makes you think they differ?

Tom
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #14
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post

Tom

The talk above regarding adjustable lumbar support.

Unless...I can actually adjust mine? Can I? I didn't think I could...
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 11:50 AM   #15
ndog14
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT

I ignored everything after the first sentence. I want a 335 wagon!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #16
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post

Tom

HOLY SHIT!

I just looked...I had never noticed the first two buttons towards the front of the seat.

The seats have adjustable lumbar support!!!

LOL
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 02:46 PM   #17
anerbe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Red E90M 6MT

OP, I would love to see pics of a 335i M-sport wagon. Could you post some?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #18
triger716
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp4cheddar View Post
The talk above regarding adjustable lumbar support.

Unless...I can actually adjust mine? Can I? I didn't think I could...
I believe the lumbar support is part of the premium package if I recall. i.e. I believe it is possible to have sport seats with out the round lumbar support button.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 03:52 PM   #19
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
The side bolsters are air controlled. I've had my seat out and dismantled completely before. The lumbar and side bolsters are all pneumatically adjusted using air tubing and balloon type bags that look like breast implants. They meet up with two junction boxes (gang valves) under the rear seat cover, one which controls the lumbar and the other the bolsters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnyraj View Post
I just noticed a similar issue, except my bolsters inflate, but then they dont hold the air...it deflates within 10 minutes. I havent tested the passenger seat yet.

taking it into the dealer tomorrow.
You have an air leak, probably between one of the tubes or on one of the bolster inflators themselves. Incredibly common problem actually, the motors on the seat pull the tubing farther than it is supposed to go causing it to come loose partially or completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJS View Post

Like the guy above you should check your pneumatic tubing for pull-offs and the bolsters themselves for ruptures. If the bolsters cease to work altogether then you are looking at a fuse.

Congrats on your 335i wagon, I wish that BMW would sack up and send them stateside.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #20
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by triger716 View Post
I believe the lumbar support is part of the premium package if I recall. i.e. I believe it is possible to have sport seats with out the round lumbar support button.
Ah...well either way I have both packages. I went out to my car and realized I have it. I know what I'm playing with on my way home!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 10:08 PM   #21
JayTdotP
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Coupe Navi

no answer to my question....
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 11:24 AM   #22
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTdotP View Post
no answer to my question....
I answered it yesterday. Check post 19, any info that you need should be there.
Appreciate 0