E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > NEED HELP- I want to get an e92 330i - watch video please

02-17-2010, 05:28 PM   #1
ArtVandelay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

NEED HELP- I want to get an e92 335i - watch video please

Hey,

I need to pick your brains please...

Very simple, I just need you to listen to this vid and tell me if it's normal for an 07 335i with just 19k miles to be this damn loud.

http://www.youtube.com/user/rshere

*** I REALLY appreciate your time. You and yours have a great night.

Last edited by ArtVandelay; 03-15-2010 at 10:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 05:55 PM   #2
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
That is an e90, e92 means coupe...my 325i and 335i are both quiet cars, that one sounds abnormal in my opinion.
      02-17-2010, 06:21 PM   #3
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

I'm guessing you're talking about the "ticking" sound. It's pretty common for BMW NA engines. Though I also think it's being magnified in that video by a crappy camera microphone and crappy Youtube audio quality.

There's lots of discussion about how "normal" this is, and whether or not it's actually a problem. There's a 60+ page sticky on this at the top of the forum (here) and also a very recent thread just a few below this thread (here).

The NA engines are very reliable so I wouldn't worry about it much. If it really bothers you and the car is still under factory warranty, you might be able to convince the dealer to do the HVA bleed or even replace the head depending on how persistent you are. The sound goes away when the engine warms up.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 07:43 PM   #4
ArtVandelay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in PA View Post
That is an e90, e92 means coupe...my 325i and 335i are both quiet cars, that one sounds abnormal in my opinion.
Thanks man, yeah I thought it sounded half like a diesel. I know lifter and injector noise and it seems loud...
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 07:50 PM   #5
ArtVandelay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
I'm guessing you're talking about the "ticking" sound. It's pretty common for BMW NA engines. Though I also think it's being magnified in that video by a crappy camera microphone and crappy Youtube audio quality.

There's lots of discussion about how "normal" this is, and whether or not it's actually a problem. There's a 60+ page sticky on this at the top of the forum (here) and also a very recent thread just a few below this thread (here).

The NA engines are very reliable so I wouldn't worry about it much. If it really bothers you and the car is still under factory warranty, you might be able to convince the dealer to do the HVA bleed or even replace the head depending on how persistent you are. The sound goes away when the engine warms up.
Thanks for your reply. I should have clarified. Yeah, the ticking, but not so much as the overall loudness of everything all together.

Yeah, I had of course thought of the mic, and I asked him and he actually had stated that he thought it was loud as well when he got it so he had a leakdown performed on it and has the paperwork that it's fine ...

To my understanding, isn't a compression test done first then if there's a cylinder that seems low then a leakdown is done??

I'll def check that sticky out, thanks..... But using the word "common," instead of "normal," is that much noise common then?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 08:35 PM   #6
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandelay View Post
I'll def check that sticky out, thanks..... But using the word "common," instead of "normal," is that much noise common then?
I didn't use those two terms interchangeably. It is absolutely very common, hence the huge sticky thread on this topic. Whether or not it's normal is debatable.

I've heard reports of the sound diminishing even by going for an aggressive drive. You don't have to beat on it, but if the NA engine is absolutely babied all the time the sound seems to be worse. This is just based on people's observations, nothing factual.

Even more discussion on this here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289882

X7 LCI // Incoming
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 09:03 PM   #7
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

The noise ISNT normal. Next time you hear the noise, shut the car down and call a tow truck and take it to the dealer. They will do a bleeding procedure (rev the crap out of it), it will make noise a week later, call another tow truck, this time they will start replacing parts.
      02-17-2010, 09:14 PM   #8
spdy330
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Tundra, 15 FIT, 17 CRV

Does not sound normal to me.
If you will be purchasing ANY AT&T services online or in store could you mention that you were referred by me? My Employee Referral ID is eo4489. This would be a great help and it costs you nothing, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 09:33 PM   #9
ArtVandelay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbiz View Post
The noise ISNT normal. Next time you hear the noise, shut the car down and call a tow truck and take it to the dealer. They will do a bleeding procedure (rev the crap out of it), it will make noise a week later, call another tow truck, this time they will start replacing parts.
So you guys would advise not to get it right? Or you think if I can get a good deal and then use the warranty that's apparently good until Sept 2010 that I should pull the trigger?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 09:36 PM   #10
ArtVandelay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
I didn't use those two terms interchangeably. It is absolutely very common, hence the huge sticky thread on this topic. Whether or not it's normal is debatable.

I've heard reports of the sound diminishing even by going for an aggressive drive. You don't have to beat on it, but if the NA engine is absolutely babied all the time the sound seems to be worse. This is just based on people's observations, nothing factual.

Even more discussion on this here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289882
Thanks again. That's my only issue with the car... And eventhough I'm getting fairly mixed replies as to whether it's ok I'm on the fence here... I don't know if I should steer clear of this one... The sad thing is, it's al lthe way down in VA, so it's a looong drive to go drive it. Then all this would be put to rest.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 09:40 PM   #11
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep

Is it still under full factory warranty? If so, and the price is right, I wouldn't be too turned off by it. You still have time for the dealer to rectify the problem for free.

X7 LCI // Incoming
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 09:51 PM   #12
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

Quote:
So you guys would advise not to get it right? Or you think if I can get a good deal and then use the warranty that's apparently good until Sept 2010 that I should pull the trigger?
if you plan on working youre ass off to get it fixed do it. if you could careless about going to your stealer a lot i'd pass.
      02-17-2010, 10:54 PM   #13
ArtVandelay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbiz View Post
if you plan on working youre ass off to get it fixed do it. if you could careless about going to your stealer a lot i'd pass.
So in your experience it's like pulling teeth to get stuff fixed under warranty apparently?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 11:03 PM   #14
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
So in your experience it's like pulling teeth to get stuff fixed under warranty apparently?

I prefer to go in armed with a service bulletin so that they cannot give me any crap or stories. That isn't always possible, but it makes everything smoother.
      02-18-2010, 04:14 AM   #15
ArtVandelay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

LOL yikes.... It sounds like we have a lot of unhappy/disgruntled 3 series owners just in this thread.... I can't imagine the full scope of this...
Appreciate 0