E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > First Dealer Visit Advice?

02-18-2010, 04:54 PM   #1
Contradiction
Rep
Drives: '07 335i

First Dealer Visit Advice?

Ok Fellas, Just got my CPO 07 335 last month and it's going back to the dealership tomorrow to:

Get the second CA key they owed me programmed to the car
I'm having the snap in adapter option installed in the console

And the most frustrating thing... To have the brakes looked at because I have a pretty good wobble in the wheel when I'm on the brakes. I'm fairly certain there is a rotor out of true. It didn't do it when I bought the car, weird.

Question is though, is there anything else I should be asking the dealership to do while they have the car? TSBs, recalls, software updates? anything like that, that they arent going to otherwise do unless I ask them too.

I have the extended maintenance plan btw, and the car is still under the factory warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 08:20 PM   #2
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

If there isn't a problem, why fix it?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 08:21 PM   #3
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
+1, just have them do what you need and take care of the brake wobble.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 08:24 PM   #4
runrider
I pretend to be smart.
Rep
Drives: '06 325i 6MT 39k

My dealer told me that they check for recalls etc every service visit, and take care of them if they come up. I think they call it like a "standard scope" or something like that.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 09:09 PM   #5
s3touring
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '03 Dinan S3 540 Wagon-sold

hi contradiction,

cpo'd '07, so you got about 1 yr. are you planning to get the 6yr/100k extensions for both warranty and maint?

regardless, if i may suggest, since you ask, you need to befriend the service guys. perhaps you might want to visit a view dealerships close to you. look up the service manager, and drop by. introduce yourself, and say you are looking to build a long-term relationship with a great dealership. let your gut guide you.

after that first meeting, drop in with a little something for the guys. i did, and still do, every now and then show up with 2-3-4 costco pizzas. just because.

when they are on your side, and some warranty issue gets tight, or whatever, they will take care of you. done it for 9 yrs. i'm greeted by name from everyone including the porters to the owner.

let's face it - if most of us are candid, none of us bought a bmw for its reliability. i have almost 10 yrs to prove otherwise. it's self-inflicted masochistic pleasure at its automotive best. that bmw will be in the shop. make the best of it for you.

"The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away, blessed be the name of the LORD."
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 09:37 PM   #6
Contradiction
Rep

Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
I live over 100 miles from the dealership so I'm just wondering if there is anything I could get them to look at or do that gets me out in front of some impending problem and save me a trip later.

Not sure if it's related to my wobble or not but I have an intermittent pop somewhere in the left front brake/suspension when braking. Car only has 25k on it.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 09:40 PM   #7
Contradiction
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3touring View Post
hi contradiction,

cpo'd '07, so you got about 1 yr. are you planning to get the 6yr/100k extensions for both warranty and maint?
From the way I understand it the CPO automatically extends the warranty and I did buy the extended maintenance. Not so sure if that was a wise purchase or not though. Thinking about seeing if they will refund that. I can change my own damn brakes and oil.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 09:48 PM   #8
s3touring
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contradiction View Post
From the way I understand it the CPO automatically extends the warranty and I did buy the extended maintenance. Not so sure if that was a wise purchase or not though. Thinking about seeing if they will refund that. I can change my own damn brakes and oil.
ah yes. getting old and tired. the cpo gets you the 6yr/100k warranty, NOT maintenance. some people like it, some don't. it is obviously a strategic calculation. how many miles on your '07?

in general, if you are putting few miles, it's not worth it, pay it out of pocket, and especially if you are handy. for dimwits like me, who also will put on more miles, and because i can thankfully get them very close to cost, it has more than paid for itself on multiple bmws.

also, the cpo is NON refundable. found out the hard way when we had to lemon our bmw. the maint extension was refundable. frankly, you don't want the refund on the warranty. as has been stated, and i agree, any hig-perf bmw without a warranty is a one-way ticket to a money pit.

Last edited by s3touring; 02-18-2010 at 09:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 10:31 PM   #9
Contradiction
Rep

No, I'm happy with the CPO extended warranty. I just didn't fully understand the difference between that and the extended maintenance when I bought the car. After taking some more time to read I realized what I'd actually bought. Like I said I can do my own maintenance and don't really see myself taking it up to the dealership 125 miles away for an oil change after the factory maintenance is over. I'm hoping I can get my money back on that. It's got 25k on it right now btw.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 10:33 PM   #10
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

I suggest just telling them whats wrong and having them fix whats wrong. There are plenty of horror stories around here about people demanding them to fix every random service bulletin and things that weren't problems. Chances are you'll wind up with more headaches that way.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 10:50 PM   #11
s3touring
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contradiction View Post
No, I'm happy with the CPO extended warranty. I just didn't fully understand the difference between that and the extended maintenance when I bought the car. After taking some more time to read I realized what I'd actually bought. Like I said I can do my own maintenance and don't really see myself taking it up to the dealership 125 miles away for an oil change after the factory maintenance is over. I'm hoping I can get my money back on that. It's got 25k on it right now btw.
gotcha. iirc, the service extension is NOT part of the cpo. warranty only, so you're set. by the way, be careful about working on your car. while not bringing your car to the dealership does not void the warranty, perhaps someone else can chime in on what may or may not mess up the warranty...hope i didn't open a new can of worms.

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 09:38 AM   #12
sbux
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i 06

btw is oxygen sensor covered by the cpo extended Warranty ?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 11:17 AM   #13
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Extended maintenance will only get you what is called for by the OBC and the maintenance schedule in your manual. Basically oil service every 15K, brake fluid flush every 2 years and brakes if needed during that time frame. Based on your statements that you can do your maintenance and are 125 miles from the dealership I would try and get that refunded, the refund will be prorated based on time etc.. As far as warranty and doing your own maintenace as long as the parts are BMW spec approved IE oil is BMWLL1 brake fluid,pads and rotors OEM approved then the only issue is if they detemrine install was to blame they will honor the warranty (remember brakes are not a warranty item anyway they are wear and tear). Save your receipts to prove the part validity and labels and search the DIY section on home to reset your service indicator when done.
Appreciate 0