2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Night Vision

02-19-2010, 03:26 AM   #1
species
Rep
Drives: BMW F01 750i

Night Vision

Anybody with information on this option? Input from owners who have it would be welcome. Recommendations and critic needed so that an informed buyers choice can be made.
Most of the information available on the net is BMW sales info.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 06:14 AM   #2
Acquarian
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: new F10 - 535 BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by species View Post
Anybody with information on this option? Input from owners who have it would be welcome. Recommendations and critic needed so that an informed buyers choice can be made.
Most of the information available on the net is BMW sales info.
Thanks
Mercedes and Audis have it also, but to be the honest I feel that if have been driving without it for the last 20 years, my question is why do I need it now,?

I guess It is a nice toy , but to pay an extra £ 1400 or $2000 , is it worth it?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 05:09 PM   #3
lux
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87 M2, 2011 E90 M3 Comp

I would consider it as an option if it is not too expensive. I drive frequently on toll roads which have poor lighting and risk for animals crossing the road. We also get coastal fog in our area as well but unfortunately, IR is pretty useless in those conditions. Not sure about how it works in heavy rain--another time I wish we had enhanced driver vision.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
HaloEye
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Honda Accord

I currently live in Mass, USA and i would not buy it. BUT i am considering moving to NH and i think i would consider getting night vision if i moved to NH since there are heavily wooded areas and streets lights are rare in certain areas.

Like some of the above posters pointed out, it is expensive and that money could be put towards other options
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 09:02 AM   #5
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AMG GTC + RR Velar + 640d GC

Garage List
I would get it if my daily drive was through a poorly-lit, wooded area prone to wildlife (deer, fox, moose) running across the road - they can do serious damage! I still think it is an unnecessary driver aid and that money would be much better used in things that really matter: comfortable seats, AC with extended features and a professional sat nav imho

The other silly option is lane change assist (not necessary the blind spot assist).
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 06:41 PM   #6
Acquarian
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: new F10 - 535 BMW

Cool

Blind spot assist will be great for Van drivers , as well as the reverse camera,

but on on the subject of options I was very much impressed on Audi's new sunroof,
as an option it has a solar panel, this solar panel will switch on the air condition in the car as soon as the temperature inside becomes to hot,
So A) as soon as you enter your car on a hot day it will be already nice and cool, , and most important for airhead people that sometimes leave their baby or pet inside the car on a hot day it could save lives.......

Appreciate 0