E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > those little round mirror things

Closed Thread

02-20-2010, 02:28 AM   #1
pc4400
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

those little round mirror things

Hey everyone, I got a pretty stupid question;

Due to some neck pain, I'm finding it a pain checking my blind spot. So I was thinking of slapping on those little round mirror things to help me see my blind spot. Anyone here think this is tacky? It's 50/50 for me, Im just curious what anyone else thinks.
Also, I was thinking it may be a bad idea since the mirrors are heated, I believe.
Unfortunately, I didn't get the idrive/nav, otherwise I would have piped in a wide angle rear-view camera.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 02:40 AM   #2
Andrew9931
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3

Euro mirrors' outer section acts as a convex lens that eliminates the blind spot.. get the euro glass and put them in your mirrors.. I did this on my e46
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 02:42 AM   #3
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Adjust your mirrors properly and you don't need to crane your neck to check your blind spot.

I do think they look ugly, but if they would really help you then safety > aesthetics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVM3NYC View Post
Euro mirrors' outer section acts as a convex lens that eliminates the blind spot.. get the euro glass and put them in your mirrors.. I did this on my e46
Those are quite pricey. Especially if you have auto-dim.

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-328...erior/Mirrors/
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 03:57 AM   #4
pc4400
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
Holysmokes those are expensive. If I could just find a dashmounted nav unit that has rear-view camera input I would be happy. I was trying to go minimal with this car since my last car had cameras all over the place. But now I see I should'a got stock nav, so I can pipe in a camera or two or three
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 06:22 AM   #5
Bulldog 6
The Logistician
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 230i M-Sport

Garage List
2007 328i E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc4400 View Post
Holysmokes those are expensive. If I could just find a dashmounted nav unit that has rear-view camera input I would be happy. I was trying to go minimal with this car since my last car had cameras all over the place. But now I see I should'a got stock nav, so I can pipe in a camera or two or three
A $700 mod that will improve safety is minimal compared to damage, possible injury, lost wages, etc. Just think of it as insurance especially since blind spots are problematic for you. This is a great find, anyone know if installation is DIY?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 06:35 AM   #6
Majikthese42
Philosopher-king
Rep
Drives: 2008 E91

Quote:

The price has gone up a lot since I bought mine. BTW, they were "Made in USA" according to the origin stickers on the backs.

If you don't have the autodims, they aren't terrible -- and you really only need the left side. I just have a left-side aspheric on my Volvo and it works fine.

Also, they show up as used parts on e-bay from time to time. Europeans wreck their BMWs, too!

http://www.bmwdiy.info/aspheric-mirror/index.html

http://www.toolworks.com/bilofsky/boxster/mirrors.html

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_h...spotmirror.htm

E91 6MT Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display, tire pump, jack, floor mats.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 08:03 AM   #7
wizardsway
Jim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

you don't need to look behind you or signal, just step on gas pedal and slowly change lanes. do it slowly so if there is anyone there they have a few seconds to slow for you or get on the shoulder. lol oh wait maybe they only do this in Florida not sure. either way nobody wants to hit a BMW after all with the way insurance company's put blame on the other guy chances are it wont be your fault.

just a joke on Florida drivers i do use my mirrors.

Wife's BMW 2007 328i
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 08:52 AM   #8
3lusive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MINI JCW Hardtop

You can help eliminating your blind spots by adjusting your side mirrors so you don't see your own car at all. There is an article from Car and Driver that suggests this can help

http://www.caranddriver.com/features..._spots-feature
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 09:23 AM   #9
BRAISKI
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lusive View Post
You can help eliminating your blind spots by adjusting your side mirrors so you don't see your own car at all. There is an article from Car and Driver that suggests this can help

http://www.caranddriver.com/features..._spots-feature

Ahhh yes, I was trying to find that... Thats similar set up as I have now.

OP, if you think you really need it then I suggest getting it esp if you have a habit of not checking your blindspot. True it doesnt look really good and I am not sure how well it will work with the heated mirrors. But if this will save you from a possible accident then get it.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 11:07 AM   #10
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:
He yhey hey, that's crazy talk. I can still turn my head, just a little painfull. I think I'll just keep an eye out for some of those euro-glass (made in USA) mirrors. Im sure tey'll come up used some day.

Oh, and readjusted my mirrors. So it's not as bad as before.

Thanks for all the info guys
I was actually behind a guy in an E92 today with one of those and it didn't seem tacky to me. His windows were tinted so I couldn't see if he was a real old guy, but I'm sure they work just as well as they do on any regular sideview mirror. Hope your neck gets better too lol. Do you know what's causing the pain? Did you sleep wrong?

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.

Last edited by Verbiage; 02-22-2010 at 01:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 11:23 AM   #11
BMWinNorthdakota
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i e90

Quote:
Adjust your mirrors properly and you don't need to crane your neck to check your blind spot.

I do think they look ugly, but if they would really help you then safety > aesthetics.

+1 on the first statement. SO many people complain about blind spots because their mirrors are not properly adjusted. You should not see half your car in your side view mirror. Also, the side view mirrors should not display the same exact view as the rear view mirror.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 01:06 PM   #12
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWinNorthdakota View Post
Also, the side view mirrors should not display the same exact view as the rear view mirror.
LOL, is that even possible? That doesn't seem too safe

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 01:13 PM   #13
Tee212
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: yes

Garage List
2010 335  [8.00]
lean forward then look
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 02:52 PM   #14
pc4400
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian III View Post
I was actually behind a guy in an E92 today with one of those and it didn't seem tacky to me. His windows were tinted so I couldn't see if he was a real old guy, but I'm sure they work just as well as they do on any regular sideview mirror. Hope your neck gets better too lol. Do you know what's causing the pain? Did you sleep wrong?
Yeah I know what's causing it, herniated discs. And I'm not old!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 04:24 PM   #15
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:

Who the hell even noitices if you have them?

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 05:31 PM   #16
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I know what's causing it, herniated discs. And I'm not old!
Sorry man. Sounds painful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Who the hell even noitices if you have them?

CA
Well, I did, sort of

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 05:39 PM   #17
vadim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog 6 View Post
A $700 mod that will improve safety is minimal compared to damage, possible injury, lost wages, etc. Just think of it as insurance especially since blind spots are problematic for you. This is a great find, anyone know if installation is DIY?
+1000. A pair can be had for under $500.

Installation is a piece of cake. Takes 30 seconds per side. Just carefully pull on the upper edge of the glass and it will pop out; then disconnect the plug. Put the new one, connect the plug, align the glass, then gently but firmly press on its center area with a palm of your hand, and it will snap into position.

Last edited by vadim; 02-22-2010 at 05:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 05:40 PM   #18
xG35c
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i

Talk about obsessive compulsive...
I don't like driving without one of those wedge blindspot mirrors - nothing like taking a quick glance and knowing without a doubt the lanes clear and you can go for it!
Just spend a few seconds to place it properly and make sure it's level.
My wife's bought-off-the-lot SUV was equipped (to my dismay) with one of those full time K-band blasting Blind Spot systems. Even when it's giving me the "all clear" I'm still not comfortable without looking and it DOES miss vehicles approaching on curves and ramps! THEY SUCK!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 05:50 PM   #19
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:

+1
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 08:04 PM   #20
BMWinNorthdakota
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i e90

I just dont understand the need for this thread.

Instead, it should be: "How to adjust your mirror properly" Seriously!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 08:23 PM   #21
cfabluenose
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian III View Post
LOL, is that even possible? That doesn't seem too safe
It's very safe. The only small blind spot that sometimes exists is at your shoulder. But you usually can see the car in your peripheral vision and a very slight turn of the head eliminates the blind spot. This really only occurs if you're far to the right and the other car is far to the left. It takes a day or so to get used to it and then you'll feel very uncomfortable from then on if the mirrors are not properly adjusted.

2009 328i
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 11:06 AM   #22
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfabluenose View Post
It's very safe. The only small blind spot that sometimes exists is at your shoulder. But you usually can see the car in your peripheral vision and a very slight turn of the head eliminates the blind spot. This really only occurs if you're far to the right and the other car is far to the left. It takes a day or so to get used to it and then you'll feel very uncomfortable from then on if the mirrors are not properly adjusted.
Also, the side view mirrors should not display the same exact view as the rear view mirror

This is what you were referring to, right?

Appreciate 0
Closed Thread