E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Asia > Hong Kong > How do HKers see luxury marques like Bmw? Do they distinguish between the marques?

02-21-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
Wolfman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

How do HKers see luxury marques like Bmw? Do they distinguish between the marques?

Coming from the States, luxury autos like Mercedes, Bmw, Audi and Lexus has clear target market segments. Wondering if this is the case with Hong Kong as well, or do Hong Kongers see all luxury autos as the same?

For example, in the U.S, Mercedes are seen as the car for the CEO and those who have really made it, but skew somewhat to a older demographic. Bmw by contrast, are prefer by those who want a refined yet sportier ride while still retaining practicality of a daily driver. Lexus are the ones that prefer comfort and ride quality at the expense of handling and performance. Audi meanwhile has quattro and 4 while drive technology, but it's identity is less clear. Do these perceptions whole true in Hong Kong as well? Or is it less clear? Or are all of them seen as the same status symbols?

To illustrate the above example, I found on bmwblog that Audi in the U.S take digs at it's competiton by highlighting it's stereotypes:

This one is call the "Spell", quite funny and worth a look:

http://www.youtube.com/user/AudiofAm.../7/K3zSL-OyJEw

This one is called "Friendly Competition" and takes direct aim at Bmw:

http://www.youtube.com/user/AudiofAm.../6/e16QgD5-aLc
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 02:12 AM   #2
Icy J
im a car
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 220i M Sport | 520i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 220i  [10.00]
Other than enthusiasts, driving anything not Japanese is generally saying = 'I Am Rich'
Well not exactly, but more or less. My parents are definitely not enthusiasts, and the only reason they bought a BMW is 'because it's a BMW'. Same applies to Mercedes, less so with Audi and Lexus, I think. Not sure though :S

'14 220i M Sport | AW/CR | PUR Wheels RS07 19" | KW V1 | MTC Design F2X Kit [CF] | Stage 1 ECU Tune | Eventuri CF Intake | Manhart Race Exhaust/Resonator Delete | ER HFC Downpipe | F8X LCA + TS | M Style Grilles | Gloss Black Roof | Custom Steering Wheel | Autotecknic Competition Shift Paddles [YMB]
Instagram: @icyj95 | FB
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 03:44 AM   #3
Wolfman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

I see, but do Hong Kongers choose one marque over the other for particular reasons. E.g, I pick Bmw because of it's sportiness and handling over Mercedes. Or do they choose any brand at random so long as it convey luxury? How do Hong Kongers pick a luxury auto brand over the other? Mercedes, Bmw, Audi and Lexus are relatively close in price, so there must be other reasons.
Appreciate 0