ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-23-2010, 06:21 PM   #1
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
The Modifying has Started...

I have already started to mod the car.

Since I wanted IPOD connectivity w/charging capability, I went with the same setup I have in the Roadster.

I ordered an Ipod Audio/Video/Charging cable from Ebay. http://stores.ebay.com/Autoware302_Ipod ... ec0Q2em322

Cut off the cigarette light power plug and along with my Garmin and Radar Detector, wired all of them up to switched power in the fuse box.
With the exception of the Garmin cable, all cables are hidden in the dashboard. The Garmin cable runs internal to the dashboard and exits dash at the bottom right corner of the instrument cluster. I did wire in a SPST (on/off) switch for the Radar Detector as you can see in the third picture. The red button.

With this done, I also added a ground loop isolator in-between the Ipod and the Aux input. This is a must..

I also ordered my Proclip Ipod mounting. Of course, one of the items from Proclip is on backorder....

Then I decided to try something different on how I mount my Garmin. I ordered a 'Kuda Mount'. http://www.kudausa.com/kuda_mount_and_h ... -3-36.html

This mount attached to the center vent. I went with this mount really for only one reason. This is a test mounting.
My endgame is to build a CarPuter for the MC. The real drawback was trying to figure out just how/where to mount the 7" touchscreen.

I think this issue has been solved.

Currently, I have mounted the Garmin unit to the Kuda mount and I will evaluate just how this mount works keeping an eye on eventually having a touchscreen display on that mount.

Some of you will not like this approach. But this is a test. If I don't like it, I can take it off.

Some are going to say that you can't use the CD player with the GPS mounted. I never use the CD. That's what the Ipod is for.
In the last picture, you can see where I have the Ipod currently. Just waiting for the Proclip parts...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 06:30 PM   #2
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Shipkiller, what's the function of the ground loop isolater? I have my Ipod set up as a direct connection to the aux input with no problems. BTW, great start to the mods, what's next?
      02-23-2010, 06:44 PM   #3
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I had a problem with the same setup in the Roadster. I was getting ignition noise when playing the Ipod/Aux input.

A ground loop can occur when your audio equipment has a different ground potential than the chassis of the car, and one of the audio components will attempt to get its ground through the amp instead of the ground you provided. It will normally manifest its self as clicks or ignition noise. Since I power the Ipod from the fuse block, this ground potential difference reared its ugly head. A Ground Loop Isolator is a high performance audio coil that physically separates the Ipod from the radio. It only cost $15.00.

If your Ipod is not powered from the fuse block and just providing audio input, you should not see any issues.

Whats next? I have lots of things in mind.

I had three years with the Roadster to get all the mods I want to do with the MC thought out. I did not do that much to the Roadster since I knew I was going to get a MC and my wife likes her car just like it is.....
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 04:54 PM   #4
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The car is scheduled to get a ClearBra on Tuesday.

Front, hood, side rockers and mirrors..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 08:28 PM   #5
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep
Drives: R8, 996 C2, Z4MR (sold)

I am a big fan of your guides
Two thoughts: 1) why not run the wire through the vent? 2) Someone has installed a Z4 nav screen in a 5er's dash (same place that it'd been in a Z4) to use with a carputer. Sounds like something you'd like to do:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...-part-2-a.html
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 09:22 PM   #6
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
I am a big fan of your guides
Two thoughts: 1) why not run the wire through the vent? 2) Someone has installed a Z4 nav screen in a 5er's dash (same place that it'd been in a Z4) to use with a carputer. Sounds like something you'd like to do:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...-part-2-a.html
Well, I could, but I could have bought a MC with Nav..

It is way too hard to find a Touchscreen with the same dimensions as the one on the BMW Nav display, and keep the cost resonable. Then I have to screw around with all that extra hardware in the center console...

One reason I don't run the cable through the vent is this is temporary. Just a test.
The second is I would have to notch the vent duct internal to the dash. That is a bit invasive. I will keep that idea though...
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 09:44 PM   #7
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep
Drives: R8, 996 C2, Z4MR (sold)

Oh I didn't know you wanted a touchsreen. The guy who did that install went with the stock screen too. Touchscreen would be cooler and easier to work with :>
I can't remember exactly but I think when I was cutting the whole in my dash to put in the screen, the space behind where the screen goes in was also empty. I thought back then that I could have installed a slide-out Pioneer single din unit there but I wanted to get the stock look. Obviously that'll involved some serious dash cutting too.
Any reason why you didn't get an Intravee for the iPod btw?
Appreciate 0