Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Non-staggered tires - affects handling?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

11-08-2006, 01:40 PM   #1
NFS13
Car Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335is / R8

Garage List
Non-staggered tires - affects handling?

What will changing to a non-stagger tire set up do to the handling?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2006, 01:54 PM   #2
Pim
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 118 d sporthatch

no probs with the handling om my car.... because i'm a careful driver ....
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2006, 02:06 PM   #3
fueledbymetal
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 6spd, Cayman GTS 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS13
What will changing to a non-stagger tire set up do to the handling?
The OEM staggered setup with the sport package is matched to the sport suspension for optimal handling. Therefore, switching to non-staggered will increase the chance of oversteering.
      11-08-2006, 02:06 PM   #4
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

More oversteer. From purely racing perspective that makes the car more balanced, but in hands of less experienced drivers it would be easier to fishtail with that setup.

Most street cars are setup for excessive overstreer to make them more safe.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2006, 02:16 PM   #5
NFS13
Car Junkie
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by noro
More oversteer. From purely racing perspective that makes the car more balanced, but in hands of less experienced drivers it would be easier to fishtail with that setup.

So the wider rear tire provides more patch to keep grip?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2006, 02:16 PM   #6
Richwm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330i 6MT, 01 E46 330i

Garage List
Quote:

I think you meant understeer. over steer is when the back wheels break loose and start to come around.

[*]Under steering is when the front end of the car slips or looses traction in a turn (figure A). In other words, the front of the vehicle is plowing (still going straight ahead). The front tires let loose first and the vehicle does not steer the way you want it to steer. Over steering is where the rear tires break out first, the rear tires are swinging out, and when you apply the brakes, it makes it even worse. [*]Most automobile manufacturers design for a certain amount of under steer because it is safer for the average driver.[/LIST]
Mar 05 Build date,2006 E90 330i, Sport Package, Premium Package, TR MT-1's . V-1 Hard-wired power with custom V-1 Concealment Display . Rear fogs, Rear power outlet's, M short shifter knob, BlackLines, BMW Strut tower bar, CDV Delete, Front M3 wishbones + tension struts, BMW Performance shocks and springs, BMW Performance Brake kit F&R, OEM short shift kit. Rear M3 Guide rods and Wishbones.
2006 E-90 330i with 302,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2006, 02:18 PM   #7
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep

sorry yeah.. most cars are setup for excessive understreer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwm
I think you meant understeer. over steer is when the back wheels break loose and start to come around.

Figure A
  • Under steering is when the front end of the car slips or looses traction in a turn (figure A). In other words, the front of the vehicle is plowing (still going straight ahead). The front tires let loose first and the vehicle does not steer the way you want it to steer. Over steering is where the rear tires break out first, the rear tires are swinging out, and when you apply the brakes, it makes it even worse.
  • Most automobile manufacturers design for a certain amount of under steer because it is safer for the average driver.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2006, 02:20 PM   #8
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS13
So the wider rear tire provides more patch to keep grip?
Yup exactly right. It may sound strange but there are times when you want less grip on the back.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2006, 02:23 PM   #9
Richwm
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yup exactly right. It may sound strange but there are times when you want less grip on the back.
Like Drifting!!
Mar 05 Build date,2006 E90 330i, Sport Package, Premium Package, TR MT-1's . V-1 Hard-wired power with custom V-1 Concealment Display . Rear fogs, Rear power outlet's, M short shifter knob, BlackLines, BMW Strut tower bar, CDV Delete, Front M3 wishbones + tension struts, BMW Performance shocks and springs, BMW Performance Brake kit F&R, OEM short shift kit. Rear M3 Guide rods and Wishbones.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2006, 02:31 PM   #10
jasper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2002 325i

I think in other countries (not US) you can get sport suspension with non-staggered setups; I don't think it makes any difference

I think BMW knew US drivers would spin out of control if they had the sport suspension and regular width back tires
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2006, 02:32 PM   #11
NFS13
Car Junkie
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Like Drifting!!

Oversteer I can handle, understeer blows! Maybe I need to stay staggered and deal with the tire wear?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2006, 02:48 PM   #12
Gumby
Rep
Drives: Imola Red M Coupe

This seems to have gotten a bit confused. Let me take a stab.

Understeer, car tends to initially plow when reaching cornering limits. As stated this is typically 'engineered' into a car as it is considered safer for most drivers. The smaller front tires, or staggered size, is one way that BMW, Porsche, and others dial in this tendency.

Oversteer, car tends to lose rear end grip and come around when reaching cornering limits. As stated, this typically makes the car feel more balanced during hard cornering, but does take some driving skill to utilize correctly. Eliminating the staggered tire sizing will induce the car to display more of this characteristic during hard cornering.

Which is better? Personal taste and driving style dictates that. My .02, in general staying with the OEM staggered setup will not reduce the quality of your driving experience of these vehicles. If you insist on trying to drift through every freeway on/off ramp, you probably would prefer matched sizes. To each his/her own.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2006, 02:51 PM   #13
Richwm
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby

Understeer, car tends to initially plow when reaching cornering limits. As stated this is typically 'engineered' into a car as it is considered safer for most drivers. The smaller front tires, or staggered size, is one way that BMW, Porsche, and others dial in this tendency.

Oversteer, car tends to lose rear end grip and come around when reaching cornering limits. As stated, this typically makes the car feel more balanced during hard cornering, but does take some driving skill to utilize correctly. Eliminating the staggered tire sizing will induce the car to display more of this characteristic during hard cornering.

Which is better? Personal taste and driving style dictates that. My .02, in general staying with the OEM staggered setup will not reduce the quality of your driving experience of these vehicles. If you insist on trying to drift through every freeway on/off ramp, you probably would prefer matched sizes. To each his/her own.
Well said!!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2006, 02:55 PM   #14
NFS13
Car Junkie
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby

I was looking more toward tire rotation and tread wear! Thanks for the info on what to expect.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2006, 03:13 PM   #15
bdav1021
Rep
Drives: 335i Black Sapphire

the car seems to not have much of a problem with initial turn in and seems pretty balanced, ad you can always give it some throttle to make it mid-corner loose
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2006, 03:41 PM   #16
Jamez
Private
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 325i

Heh im guessing normal everyday driving shouldnt include any form of under or over steer....
Unless you drive like a race driver on the streets, then again what streets have room for this?
I am in qeues on my way to work in the morning and on the way home, so im pretty much getting the E92 for the looks, quality, image, and comfort of the ride basically.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2006, 05:28 PM   #17
NFS13
Car Junkie
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamez
Heh im guessing normal everyday driving shouldnt include any form of under or over steer....
Unless you drive like a race driver on the streets, then again what streets have room for this?
I am in qeues on my way to work in the morning and on the way home, so im pretty much getting the E92 for the looks, quality, image, and comfort of the ride basically.

Spirited driving and racing are different! If you got the e92 for only those reasons, IMO you are wasting one fine engine!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2006, 11:25 AM   #18
Mr. M
TouGe Monsta
Rep
Drives: On Order - its Topless!

Quote:
Like Drifting!!
no. amateur drifting uses hard cheap slippery tires. Pro drift uses the stickiest compound available to ensure maximum control at high speed.

just wanted to restate. a equal tire width at both ends of the car will contribute much stability during off-throttle cornering. The staggered width is more for on-throttle with a wider contact patch allowing more grip to power out of a corner.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2006, 03:00 PM   #19
Jamez
Private
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 325i

Actually the E92 325i with 218hp i am getting, felt alright but not like anything the stock suspension couldnt handle...

Just couldnt afford the 150.000$ 335i so nothings wasted.
Appreciate 0