E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > DIY-selfers/warranty issues and Tischer 'Tune Up' Kit

03-07-2010, 10:07 PM   #1
syl2us
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

DIY-selfers/warranty issues and Tischer 'Tune Up' Kit

Well, my service light recently came on so as anyone would do I took it into the $tealership. They quoted me for 4 things, those being Standard scope, Oil change, Micro filter and Intake silencer maintenance. This all came out to ~$500 and some change. Being just out of my maintenance program, I said this is absurd and left without having it serviced. After doing some research, I found many members used Tischer for their kits and this is what seems suitable for me:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462

I was directed to this link from Tischer's website, and can assume this is what everyone else is using.

Firstly, I just wanted to verify this is the correct link and also anyone's feedback regarding this kit.

Secondly, another issue I am concerned with is that if I were to do all these simple tasks on my own as well as resetting the service light, what would happen if I were to have a problem in the future? The servicing I would do would obviously not show up on the service records. Lets say something happens to my engine like 6 months down the road (completely unrelated to my servicing). Then I would take this car into the dealership to try and resolve this problem. What exactly would they say?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 03:53 PM   #2
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Tischer is a great place to get parts. They are fast, priced competitivley, and easy to deal with. Second, does your call for the air filter yet? The airfilters are supposed to be replaced every third (BMW Schedule) oil change. The car will tell you when the cabin airfilter is due for a change. Also I suggest buying a few extra quarts of oil to keep for top-offs. Finally, make sure you order the oil filter cap wrench because it makes it easier to remove the oil filter housing cap.

Once you reset the oil maintenance counter (there is a DYI to do it) the car will register an oil change in ECU. Since you are out of the free mainentance program and warranty, and your engine failed, BMW wouldn't care one way or another if the service was done by you or someonelse other than BMW. Once you are out of warranty you are on your own. I think somewhere in the manual it states that if you do your own servicing, you may have to prove you have the competence to do the maintenance if an isue should arise.

Last edited by ENINTY; 03-08-2010 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 0