E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Wheel / Tire Warranty Won't Replace Bent Wheel

03-11-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
Clark Kent
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Monaco, Oyster

Wheel / Tire Warranty Won't Replace Bent Wheel

While driving in the recent heavy rains in L.A., I went through some pretty severe pot holes and 3 of my tires (stock run-flats on my 335i sport) now need to be replaced (both passenger-side tires have a chunk of their sidewalls gouged out from one pot hole, the front driver-side is bruised from another). Luckily, I purchased the wheel and tire warranty from IAS when I purchased my car so I should be all covered...or so I thought.

On the front, driver-side tire, aside from the bruised tire side wall, the wheel itself is bent too. IAS (the warranty provider) refuses to replace the wheel, however, since the wheel still makes a seal with the tire (no air leaks).

Is this common for this sort of policy? Or should I be more insistent that they replace the wheel? Clearly, I don't feel safe driving on a bent rim. Any thoughts?

Thanks for any input!!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
BKV122
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 330xi  [9.50]
Yes its very common, wheel insurance co. only cover if the wheel and tire don't hold pressure. My tire/wheel insurance GE(sonic) only covers if the tire/wheel doesn't hold the pressure. I have one minor bend in my front wheel and it still holds pressure.

Got to read what the insurance covers and the policy you choose.
My finance adviser my wheels or tire would get replaced FREE of charge if i get a flat or bend a wheel (nothing with the details of the policy), Policy was for $600.
My first tire replacement at my local dealer (different dealer that i purchased my car from and insurance policy) replaced my tire and said I would have to pay up front but my insurance would reimburse me. Well when the dealer was done the bill was $530. I was then reimbursed by my insurance for only $500, that's what the policy covered up to, $500. Just shows how my dealer I purchased the wheel/tire insurance lied to me, didn't say my policy had a limit, or any of the other information.