Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > warning, for RFT fan only...

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

11-11-2006, 07:02 AM   #1
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Exclamation warning, for RFT fan only...

Ok, look what I got in my warehouse. Here are some OEM Bridgestone RE050A RFT 18" for the rear. Forget about this backorder deal...they have plenty of these in the lone star state. 6 months back, when I checked, they were exactly $300 each. 6 months later, the price on these are $330 each. So I figure I better get a few of them and store them in my warehouse . Plus, if you folks remember, my rear are very worn out (I know they will not pass inspection, but my car inspection will not expires until second quater of 2007). Cannot wait to slap these new rubber sole on.

Check this thread out if you want to know how worn out my current rear are- http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34204 Being that these tires cost so much, I want to milk my current tires as much as possible before replacing them without risking safety. I do have to be very careful on the current set of tires and I have to remember to let it warm up before hitting 55+mph (like they warm up tires in F1 to get maximum traction on dry). For wet condition, I just need to go easy on ecceleration and cornering.
Attached Images

11-11-2006, 07:16 AM   #2
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Another thing, when I bought these last week, they tried to give me a tire that was produced in early jan/feb 2004. That tire was almost 3 years old. My oem tires are produced in 2005 . What a bunch of sneaky folks. I pointed that out to them and they exchanged for a March/April 2006 production tires the next day. To figure out what year your tire was produced, look at the DKM number. The last 2 digits tell you the year and the first 2 digits tell you the month (i think). So don't let anyone pull a fast one on you when you are paying $300+ for a tire and you want the most recent production date on them.

The other thing I noticed is that the sticker said that these tires are to be used on bmw Z4
Attached Images

11-11-2006, 07:23 AM   #3
Dante
Enthusiast
Germany
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 / F31 330d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03
Another thing, when I bought these last week, they tried to give me a tire that was produced in early jan/feb 2004. That tire was almost 3 years old. My oem tires are produced in 2005 . What a bunch of sneaky folks. I pointed that out to them and they exchanged for a March/April 2006 production tires the next day. To figure out what year your tire was produced, look at the DKM number. The last 2 digits tell you the year and the first 2 digits tell you the month (i think). So don't let anyone pull a fast one on you when you are paying $300+ for a tire and you want the most recent production date on them.

The other thing I noticed is that the sticker said that these tires are to be used on bmw Z4
Congrats for getting your hands on some of these!

Now, the first two digits of the DKM (or DOT) number tell you the week of production, so your tires have been manufactured between the 21th and 27th of August 2006.

Have fun
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2006, 07:33 AM   #4
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante
Congrats for getting your hands on some of these!

Now, the first two digits of the DKM (or DOT) number tell you the week of production, so your tires have been manufactured between the 21th and 27th of August 2006.

Have fun
Thanks for the clarification on the first two digits...I was not sure. That is even better if it is in august
      11-11-2006, 10:58 AM   #5
BM2006i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

I mean you could tell them to switch to newer ones if you buy tires in stores.. what about ordering online?. from tire rack or discount tires? Do they always send you the new production ones? thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2006, 08:16 PM   #6
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Forget worrying about rft replacements -- buy mine! Set of new OEM ZSP package tires, with or without 162 rims.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2006, 04:19 AM   #7
kevE90
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F8x

I don't mean to hijack the thread. Are these tires that much in demand. I plan to swap ZSP tires not because they are runflats but because I want all seasons. If the dealer doesn't want to buy back/trade, I'm guessing I shouldn't have a problem selling them on my own? correct?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2006, 03:27 PM   #8
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
kevE90zsp, you shouldn't have a problem selling them. It seems there are a lot of people waiting for the rear tires in particular.
      11-12-2006, 03:38 PM   #9
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

yeah, those are stock on the Z4 sport pack as well

mine are about to need to be replaced as well, I'm going to burn the last of them off at the track tommorow!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2006, 07:24 AM   #10
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM2006i
I mean you could tell them to switch to newer ones if you buy tires in stores.. what about ordering online?. from tire rack or discount tires? Do they always send you the new production ones? thanks
If you buy products in person, you can talk to the manager in person and explain to them why you bought brand new tire in late 2006 and the tire they sold you was an early 2004 production tire. If you order online, they can pull the same stunt and send you old production tires. With online, it is very costly and time consuming to send item (big items like tires) back and forth for exchange. That is why I am not a fan of online purchase. Online purchase are very popular and many times you can get them cheaper but there is that customer satifaction and shipping issue should you not satified with your products which can turn into nightmare if online seller decided to play phone tags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc
Forget worrying about rft replacements -- buy mine! Set of new OEM ZSP package tires, with or without 162 rims.
I would take the two front tires off your hand if you were in the lonestar state my friend and given the price is competitive.

Last edited by txusa03; 11-13-2006 at 08:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2006, 07:28 AM   #11
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
yeah, those are stock on the Z4 sport pack as well

mine are about to need to be replaced as well, I'm going to burn the last of them off at the track tommorow!
rear ones or front ones? buying rft for replacement or getting conventional tires for replacement. My guess is you are getting rft replacement otherwise you would not be responding to this thread (which said for RFT fans only ).
      11-13-2006, 10:46 PM   #12
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03
rear ones or front ones? buying rft for replacement or getting conventional tires for replacement. My guess is you are getting rft replacement otherwise you would not be responding to this thread (which said for RFT fans only ).

the Z4 with the larger motor with sport pack (3.0 or 3.0si depending on year) has the same size tires as 330/335 with sport pack

on the track at speed I'm really starting to think the re50's aren't that bad (although I'm still getting ps2's when the time comes )
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2006, 07:32 AM   #13
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
the Z4 with the larger motor with sport pack (3.0 or 3.0si depending on year) has the same size tires as 330/335 with sport pack

on the track at speed I'm really starting to think the re50's aren't that bad (although I'm still getting ps2's when the time comes )
I think you get more dry grip as the tire wear out (like slick racing tires on dry).