2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Review of F10 by MSN cars

03-26-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
Acquarian
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: new F10 - 535 BMW

try this link

http://cars.uk.msn.com/reviews/artic...ntid=152700669
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 11:16 PM   #2
enigma01
Fight On!
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3; g30 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMoneyPlaya View Post
They only give it 4 out of 5 stars. That's about right.
I wouldn't put too much weight on an MSN car review (sort of like listening to a financial advice from the GQ magazine).

By the way, your S5 wouldn't fair too much better anyway. I test drove the S5 and the steering is too light and vague, and the V8 is getting a bit too long in the tooth. While it was a good engine when it was new, it's ready for retirement.

I'll reserve my opinion on the F10 until I get a chance to test drive. I haven't seen any review on the 550i yet to even guess how I would like it. For those that are ordering the car sight unseen, I wish them good luck. I absolutely wouldn't put down 70k on a car without a long test drive.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 03:20 AM   #3
Acquarian
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: new F10 - 535 BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma01 View Post
. I absolutely wouldn't put down 70k on a car without a long test drive.
If you are buying a 530d or 535i, To avoid a long wait, I suggest you spend a long weekend in the UK and visit some of the dealers to have a test drive, most of the dealers will have a 530d or 535i or even both,

regarding the 550,
I think the 550i in Europe, due to the current petrol prices and possible future heavy depreciation may not be an of the shelf model, and may not be an easy car to sell or resale afterwards, same applies for the Mercedes S500, or the RS6 where buyers will have to pre-order, and not have a vehicle of the shelf like in the old days.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 08:02 PM   #4
enigma01
Fight On!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acquarian View Post
If you are buying a 530d or 535i, To avoid a long wait, I suggest you spend a long weekend in the UK and visit some of the dealers to have a test drive, most of the dealers will have a 530d or 535i or even both,

regarding the 550,
I think the 550i in Europe, due to the current petrol prices and possible future heavy depreciation may not be an of the shelf model, and may not be an easy car to sell or resale afterwards, same applies for the Mercedes S500, or the RS6 where buyers will have to pre-order, and not have a vehicle of the shelf like in the old days.
Yeah, that would be one expensive test drive. I guess it could be an excuse to take a vacation (or a business trip) in the UK...

I don't think a sane UK dealer will let me take a brand spankin' new 550i for an hour of test drive, fully knowing there isn't any chance of sale.

By the way, the 550i probably consumes less gas than my I6 Z4 M Coupe (less than 20mpg combined). I had to pay a hefty gas guzzler tax on my M, but there isn't one on this V8TT monster.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 12:32 AM   #5
enigma01
Fight On!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMoneyPlaya View Post
That's the problem - I couldn't wait for the F10 with AWD to make it to the states. Furthermore, I don't like the styling of the F10 without the M package and am not too crazy about the wheels either. So by the time a proper F10 comes to the US with AWD and an M sport package, it could be two years from now???

Given that I didn't want to settle for the first F10 that came out since it wouldn't be configured exactly to my liking, I bought the S5 off the lot. It's not an exact comparison to the F10 since it's a coupe. But it blows away the handling on my old 540, and the steering is much better too (granted it is a smaller car than the 5 series so you would expect that). The engine is a monster - like a 70's muscle car. And the quad exhaust sounds great. The quattro system is awesome - car sticks to the road like glue when I hit the gas in the rain. My old 540 (2wd) would often lose traction in the rain and the traction control would have to kick in - not to mention the car was undrivable in 1 inch of snow. The electronics are also amazing. The Bang and Olufsen audio system is much better than the systems I've heard in BMW's - I still can't figure out why BMW can offer crap like heads up display, electronic this and that, but still puts crap audio systems in $70K cars??? Audi's 3G MMI is perfect - voice command works great, my Blackberry contacts automatically sync via bluetooth, the 3D NAV is awesome.

Once BMW eventually rolls out a properly configured F10 to the US for me to test drive, then perhaps I might consider it. But like I said, I couldn't wait for another 2yrs to buy a car.
1. I am not a big fan of the M-package on non-M cars. It's overpriced (what BMW option isn't?) and I believe after-market parts can get you better performance at more economical price points.

2. I am sure many have already pointed out, but your tires probably have more to do with traction in snow than AWD. I will concede this point since I rarely drive in snow and am no expert in driving in such conditions.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 06:49 PM   #6
Bammered
Track Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4 ///M COUPE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma01 View Post
1. I am not a big fan of the M-package on non-M cars. It's overpriced (what BMW option isn't?) and I believe after-market parts can get you better performance at more economical price points.

2. I am sure many have already pointed out, but your tires probably have more to do with traction in snow than AWD. I will concede this point since I rarely drive in snow and am no expert in driving in such conditions.
Tires are definetely the end all in snow... Drove a 325ci sport package manual in Ottawa, Canada for 2 years during the winter on hi-performance snows and NEVER got stuck!

People here on the east coast USA, at least around NJ never want to switch rubber. They just drive on the same compound year round and then shit their pants when we get a half inch of snow!
Appreciate 0