E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Bluetooth telephone audio connection and DAB

03-23-2010, 03:22 PM   #1
Oli
Campervan man
Rep
Drives: RS3 and VW Kombi

What is it, and do I need it with my spec? I have an Iphone 3GS, and will stream all music through the USB port. Also has anyone got the snap in adapter for the iPhone - Is it any good?

Also I had DAB on my old 335D back in 2007, and it was good but not great - cutting in and out etc - has it improved? Should I be speccing it?

Cheers

Last edited by Oli; 03-23-2010 at 03:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 06:54 PM   #2
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Once you clip the iphone into the armrest holder you will not be able to stream any music from it until you spec the 6NF bluetooth music interface - then you can charge the phone and allow telematics via the cradle, and then access music via bluetooth.

I only spec'd 6FL which means the phone needs to be plugged into the USB socket but then the phone can't be slotted into the armrest cradle

Spec 6NF as well as 6FL and Bluetooth
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 03:44 AM   #3
Oli
Campervan man
Rep

So best I get it then??? Any thoughts on the DAB?

Genuine VW T5 California Rental
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 03:50 AM   #4
vf208
Rep
Drives: 320d

I also ordered the cradle but only spec'ed 6FL by (ahem the dealer's) mistake. I was really annoyed that I couldn't use the cradle to play music from my iPhone so ended up using an old iPod and the USB in the arm rest (sorry can't remember if this was an addition) which I now prefer as I can leave it in the car all the time - much less hassle.

If I were you I'd pop to Argos and buy a cheap ipod and not bother with the cradle and spend the savings on DAB. You can use bluetooth to make calls and keep your phone in your pocket.

The DAB is excellent and I won't buy another car without it but I can only vouch for the reception in the South East
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 04:21 AM   #5
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 and E92 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli View Post
What is it, and do I need it with my spec? I have an Iphone 3GS, and will stream all music through the USB port. Also has anyone got the snap in adapter for the iPhone - Is it any good?

Also I had DAB on my old 335D back in 2007, and it was good but not great - cutting in and out etc - has it improved? Should I be speccing it?

Cheers
I got a cradle thrown in for the Sony mobile I had at the time. I only used it a couple of times to be honest, I certainly wouldn't pay money for it! Also without the cradle, you'll have additional storage space in the armrest.

As for the DAB, in my opinion, that's one of the best things I specced on my car. It works great (again in London and the SE East where I'm based), and if it loses the DAB signal, it will automatically switch to the FM signal of the same channel (if it broadcasts on FM), and switch back again once DAB reception is receiveable.

Only trouble I see for you is that your location is 'here, there and everywhere',... that could be somewhere the DAB signal might not reach.
      03-24-2010, 06:42 AM   #6
Oli
Campervan man
Rep

Right, I just had a long chat with the man at BMW. I am not going for either, as the DAB is poor in my area, like it was 3 years ago, and I will always stream my music via the USB port/cable, which will also charge my iPhone, so I can do without the blutooth music interface as well.

Simples, and cheers for all your help.

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 04:07 PM   #7
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
It's just easier slotting the phone in and out of the cradle than pi$$ing about with the silly Apple cable that for some reason is ALWAYS upside down when you try and fit it in the phone, especially in the dark!

For £45 I would get the cradle, makes it a lot easier to use and isn't 6NF only about £80 ish??
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 04:41 PM   #8
Oli
Campervan man
Rep

Yes but when the phone is in the cradle, the music has to stream via bluetooth, so loosing all the quality and advantages of the digital ipod/iphone - Doesnt it?

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 04:25 AM   #9
vf208
Rep
Drives: 320d

Is it possible to stream music via bluetooth and if so how do you do it?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 02:37 AM   #10
SiBurt
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW F20 M135i AT, MPE, MPLSD

Morning Oli, kids eh?

For me, both the cradle and DAB work brilliantly.

The cradle especially is a worthwhile investment as it keeps the phone charged and seems to improve the signal!
Appreciate 0