E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Detailing in the Toronto Area

11-19-2006, 03:50 PM   #1
Shoushi Malouche
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Detailing in the Toronto Area

If you are in need of any detailing work in the GTA

Call this guy

GTA in Detail

www.****************

He post on this board from time to time

Had him work on my car this weekend and results are amazing, he is mobile so he can come to you.

Attention to detail was second to none and I highly suggest that you call him if you require any car detailing.

Thanks again Kevin
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2006, 08:00 PM   #2
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

That's Picus, he's a great member here!

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2006, 01:27 AM   #3
DILLIGAF
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 SG 330i ZSP MT CA

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I met with Kevin back in the fall. Seems like a good guy and knows a lot about detail work. He's gonna detail my car next spring.
      11-22-2006, 11:04 PM   #4
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

Hope you're out enjoying the car!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2006, 10:11 PM   #5
ed328ci
Grumpy
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Any detailers or hand wash car washes in the Guelph or Kitchener / Waterloo area? Thanks!
      11-27-2006, 03:16 PM   #6
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Some of Kevins handywork on my new Z4 M Roady.
Thanks for a great job Kevin..

Kevin hard at it

& the great results

[IMG]http://****************/pics/mroadster112006/a.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://****************/pics/mroadster112006/g.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://****************/pics/mroadster112006/e.jpg[/IMG]
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2006, 02:37 PM   #7
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Hey guys, there is a good detailing FAQ on this board, but I am getting a ton of "winter prep" questions, so I wrote this.

Alright, so I'm pretty much only doing winter preps right now, so here is what I basically do, and recommend everyone do prior to winter (right around the time they put their winters on).

1) First, if you're changing your tires, let's do that first. Get the summers off and put the winters on, before you put the winters on make sure to clean them well and if you have it, use some Wheel Sealant, Wheel Wax, or a paint sealant on the mags/wheels/alloys. Put the summers aside for now, more on those later.
2) Wash the car really well. We all know how to wash, there are FAQs on this forum how to do it. I suggest really getting down and dirty, use a fine brush to clean out body panels, door jambs, polish your exhaust and use a sealant on it, open the hood and trunk and clean the water gutter areas.
2) Strip whatever sealant/wax you have on the car, you can do this a few ways so here come the options.
- If you have some marring you want removed, skip to #3
- If you do not have marring but will be using a chemical cleaner, skip to #4
- If you do not have marring and will not be using a chemical cleaner, skip to #5.
3) Polish the car. Hopefully you don't have much marring, so lets assume you're using a light polish, there are FAQs on polishing, so if you're doing that read this. Now if you're using a chemical cleaner next go to step #4, if not, go to step #5.
4) Wipe the car down with alcohol and water. Assuming you polished and/or are using a chemical cleaner I will assume you know how to do this. 50/50 alcohol/water, regular 70% off the counter isa alcohol. Apply your chemical cleaner (Klasse AIO, Werkstatt Prime, etc.), I very highly recommend these before winter for a few reasons. One, they will remove most waterspots you have from the summer/fall, they will really help "deep clean" the paint, and best of all they add a sealant base for your sealant, which will only help it last even longer. Buff off when ready (most are apply to a panel, remove). Go to step #6.
5) If you're not using a chemical cleaner you're going to want to use alcohol/water liberally to strip your old sealant/wax, clean your trim and windows, and remove any polish residue (if you polished). 50/50 rubbing alcohol/water, regular 70% off the counter isa alcohol.
6) Apply your sealant. What do I recommend? Well, we want to use something long lasting, there are quite a few you can choose from. A sampling of the ones I like: Zaino Z2pro/Z5pro, Werkstatt Acrylic Jett, Poorboys EX-P, Klasse HGSG. How you apply and remove the sealant depends on which you use. Almost all of them are apply, let haze, remove *except* HGSG, which you want to wipe on/wipe off. Apply over entire car, including windows.
#7) As the sealant is hazing, do little peripheral jobs, polish exhaust, clean and dress trim, Clean/wax door jambs and hood/trunk jambs, clean and dress wheel wells.
#8) Buff off the sealant however you choose (some dry buff, some buff w/quick detailer, some buff w/spray sealant).
#9) Dress tires if you like that!
#10) If you're not too tired go clean your summer wheels. I like trying to use soap/water first, but if that doesn't do it move to a highly diluted APC or non-acid wheel cleaner. If that doesn't do it you can try acid, but make sure you know how to use it. DO NOT use acid or apc on aluminum lips. Use a metal polish or soap and water. Seal them, cover, and put away.

Any one of the sealants above will last 4-6 months, longer with a sealant base and even longer if you maintain with a spray sealant.

Now for maintaining through winter you have a couple options, I get questions on "how to winter wash" all the time. Here is how I answer.

If you're lucky enough to have a garage that is heated and you can spray a hose, wash normally. Now most of us don't have that, so if you insist on washing in the winter I highly recommend rinseless washes, like QEW or ONR (more info on them in the FAQs), do this in a garage only. If you do not have a garage and want to keep the car salt free (remember, washing in the winter isn't about making it look sweet, it's about keeping salt off), take it to a touchless that you trust, but do not dry, it won't matter - and drying = marring. A coin-op works too.

Me? I wash occasionally with rinseless washes, but mostly I do this - when I am back from a long ride and I have a lot of salt, I will go to a local coin op, put in $2 and spray the snot out of my wheels, wheel wells, and undercarriage, I will also spray the paint and windows *lightly*, to remove any loose salt/junk. That's it, no actual touching. Remember, washing = marring, and also remember its winter, so washing is largely pointless if you use your car. ALSO remember salt will ONLY react with paint when it's over 0c/32f, so if you park in a garage or its warm, so just make sure to get it off when you can.

Why do all this? Well, the obvious reasons (keep it looking good), UV protection, bird poop, acid rain, also sealing windows WILL improve visibility, make it easier to wipe them on the highway, and make it much easier to remove snow from the car (I promise), it'll also help mitigate salt damage.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 12:20 AM   #8
christyles
Need new project car.
Rep
Drives: E46 '00 323i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed328ci
Any detailers or hand wash car washes in the Guelph or Kitchener / Waterloo area? Thanks!
Yes. I'm not sure if you're the same guy that emailed me... KW - Toronto and anything in between.
      12-04-2006, 09:53 AM   #9
tirana
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 6MT + F25 35i AT

Picus - for a guy who makes his living in this business, you sure are generous with your knowledge. I'll be setting up an appointment with you in the spring for sure (PM me if you think that your services shouldn't wait that long - my car is only a month old).

I found a drive-in, railless, touchless carwash on the west side of Woodbine just by Steeles (Esso station - there's an Esso on each side, only the west one has the wash). You can skip the dryer since the door opens when the drier comes on and you drive through it at whatever speed you want.

Had to put my summers back on this weekend as I had a puncture in my winters (<200 km on it....) and am still waiting to hear what the status of the tire is. Forecast for the GTA looks kinda OK, but if we get a storm.....
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 12:05 PM   #10
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Bummer about the winters, what happened? It's chilly out but at least the roads are dry. I still have all-seasons on my G and it's holding up ok. Just don't floor it!

Those Esso touchless's are actually ok, you can use the dryer too just don't get out and dry the car with a towel afterwards since you'll still have a thin film of dirt on it.

It's your call on now vs spring, sealing the paint is a good idea before winter (http://****************/faq/winter.html), but it is likely your dealership waxed the car when they PDI'd it, so you're probably OK to go until spring.

As for sharing info; hey, I love this stuff and realize boards like this are full of enthusiasts who like to do things themselves. There's a ton of info about all kinds of auto related things on these boards so I share what I can. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 02:52 PM   #11
tirana
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

The tire centre was able to repair the RFT so I'll be putting the winters on when I have a moment (getting too good at this.....).

My car is waxed (at delivery - they did a nice job) but I noticed a tiny (3 mm?) scratch over the rear wheel well (I think I can see metal - after I washed it over the weekend). Am wondering whether to touch it up. May give you a call.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by picus
Bummer about the winters, what happened? It's chilly out but at least the roads are dry. I still have all-seasons on my G and it's holding up ok. Just don't floor it!

Those Esso touchless's are actually ok, you can use the dryer too just don't get out and dry the car with a towel afterwards since you'll still have a thin film of dirt on it.

It's your call on now vs spring, sealing the paint is a good idea before winter (http://****************/faq/winter.html), but it is likely your dealership waxed the car when they PDI'd it, so you're probably OK to go until spring.

As for sharing info; hey, I love this stuff and realize boards like this are full of enthusiasts who like to do things themselves. There's a ton of info about all kinds of auto related things on these boards so I share what I can. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 03:02 PM   #12
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirana
The tire centre was able to repair the RFT so I'll be putting the winters on when I have a moment (getting too good at this.....).

My car is waxed (at delivery - they did a nice job) but I noticed a tiny (3 mm?) scratch over the rear wheel well (I think I can see metal - after I washed it over the weekend). Am wondering whether to touch it up. May give you a call.....
I may have missed it, but what color is the car and do you have touchup? What you might want to do is put a tiny bit of primer in the scratch till spring, then have me work on it and blend it in; or I could just do it now, it's up to you. Either way, you don't want exposed metal through winter, so no matter what you do get some primer in there.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 03:06 PM   #13
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Kevin, make a video tutorial for wetsanding.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 03:21 PM   #14
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
Better yet... a "how to" meet in the spring
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 03:28 PM   #15
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
I don't have a video camera (srsly), but I doubt I would anyway. I probably never should have written a "wetsanding how to", although it's helped a lot of people it's sort of an advanced technique for beginners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
Better yet... a "how to" meet in the spring
Ha! Never done that before.

Maybe I will, to the e90 guys that don't know I've held a couple "Meet & Shine" how-to clinic deals with the G35 guys, fun times were had by all. It could be something that will work for e90/e92 guys too.

Of course Shim would have to drive up from wherever the heck he lives!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2006, 02:57 PM   #16
tirana
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by picus
I may have missed it, but what color is the car and do you have touchup? What you might want to do is put a tiny bit of primer in the scratch till spring, then have me work on it and blend it in; or I could just do it now, it's up to you. Either way, you don't want exposed metal through winter, so no matter what you do get some primer in there.
Monaco Blue. No, I don't have any touchup but I have to drop by the dealer tomorrow to pick up some winter mats. Will ask them about the primer and have you finish the job in the spring
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 08:31 PM   #17
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

I got to detail e90post member unicalex's car today. All I can say is seeing it has turned my anxiousness for my car into overdrive. I can not believe how good AW looks on this car, absolutely stunning. Alex was a good boy and had the dealer leave on all the stickers/packing tape, so it was a complete virgin car! Pictures are a little lame due to being inside, but what can you do when it gets dark at 4pm?

[IMG]http://****************/pics/335120706/a.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://****************/pics/335120706/b.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://****************/pics/335120706/f.jpg[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 08:59 PM   #18
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

Nice work, picus!!!!!!!!

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 09:22 PM   #19
tirana
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

You should sell the last photo to BMW Canada!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2006, 12:13 PM   #20
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Thanks. They would probably just tell the owner to put a plate on though!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2006, 09:55 PM   #21
unicalex
Private
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 AW 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Thanks for the detailing Kevin!
Highly recommended!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2006, 03:26 PM   #22
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicalex
Thanks for the detailing Kevin!
Highly recommended!

Here are a couple more new car prep's, the two different body-styles of the 328i.

[IMG]http://****************/pics/328121706/c.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://****************/pics/328122006/a.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://****************/pics/328122006/b.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://****************/pics/328122006/d.jpg[/IMG]
Appreciate 0