E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > What is "Crippled" Bluetooth?

08-24-2005, 07:11 PM   #1
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E31 E90 F25 MCS

What is "Crippled" Bluetooth?

Guys:
We use Verizon and currenly have non-Bluetooth LG phones that work OK but the reception in our own house is poor. We're pretty close to our "New in Two" date and I'm looking at the Bluetooth phones from Verizon for use in my wife's soon-to-come e90. But I've heard that Verizon "cripples" the Bluetooth function in some/all of its phones. What does that mean?
Also, it appears that Verizon's choices for Bluetooth are the Moto V710 and the Moto E815, as well as a newer LG phone.
Any thoughts from the group on these choices? i'd like to have reception in my house (would the Moto, or the newer LG improve on the current LG VX4400) and am inclined to stick with Verizon because of service in the DC Metro. I had AT&T (now Cingular) and canned it two years ago for Verizon because of spotty coverage.
Please weigh in.
Thanks
Mike
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2005, 07:53 PM   #2
rakked
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

My wife and I both have the Verizon E815 and they paired with the E90 perfectly.
      08-24-2005, 11:04 PM   #3
agarbati
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90, Saph Blk 330i

From what a customer rep at Verizon told me they have been disabling bluetooth on new phones because of a high profile incident with Paris Hilton where some guys hacked into her address book. He said that until that is resolved they are not offering bluetooth.

Haven't checked into the veracity of this so take it FWIW.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2005, 11:26 PM   #4
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

I think the griping comes from people not being able to transfer pictures by bluetooth to computers or other phones. the address book transfers perfect and I have no complaints about having "crippled" bluetooth
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2005, 11:34 PM   #5
theclay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I've got Verizon service and I just bought the Moto E815. Works perfectly with the car and it will Sync the contacts list with my Mac via bluetooth. No computer file exchange though as Ward pointed out. Better reception than my old LG and it works with my E90, it's worth it.
      08-25-2005, 12:01 AM   #6
ACELR8
Rep
Drives: 2005 330i

Kimo(aka Mike),

I am from the same neck of the woods you are. What the other posts indicate are accurate, and more specifically..... "OBEX" the object exchange protocol on the Verizon Bluetooth phone V710 has been disabled "due to security concerns" thus the FULL Bluetooth capability of the telephone is NOT available. The "hands free" profile functions perfectly and my V710 paired with my E90 just fine. Just as Ward has mentioned, my "address book" or phone list, transferred perfectly to my iDrive Communications screen, BUT if you are familiar with entering names/numbers of contacts on a computer and transferring them over to your phone (and you have more than 10 numbers)....... then that is a bust! Motorola offers a USB cable that you can connect from your computer to the V710 so you can do contact data management. Again - Verizon has you by the cajones because you are going to have to pay 60 bucks just for a five dollar cable - oh and by the by.... the Motorola Tools package for the V710 only works with Windows not Macintosh.

So......... one of the principal aspects of the Bluetooth capability of the phone is "deactivated, hampered, crippled, non-existent" (take your pick) and so I input every name and number via the phone's keypad - blah! :-P

If your curious, when I purchased the phone I was really interested in network coverage area and Bluetooth capability with my E90, and I got both in my two year deal. I did not notice the microprint on the side of the box that said "PHONE DOES NOT SUPPORT BLUETOOTH OBEX PROFILES" as I signed on the dotted line. As a final consolation the V710 does have slot on top of it for a memory card and you can transfer pictures that way or .mp3 audio files.

The latest I have read about the V710 is there is a lawsuit against Verizon because there was deception about the phone's Bluetooth capability, Verizon was going to perform an "over-the-air" software enchancement so that the full Bluetooth capability would be restored (doubt this one), and the conspiracists(sp?) say that the "Paris Hilton episode" was B.S. and that Verizon wants you to transfer pictures and download ringtones via the "Get it Now" service that they offer which means you pay $$$$$$ for your Pink Panther ringtone you always wanted. Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2005, 12:04 AM   #7
mc68386
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 330i 6MT

Easy to uncripple

It's crippled in that Bluetooth allows all kinds of file swap and syncing capabilities, but Verizon disables them so you have to purchase their GetItNow and Mobile Office products and services.

I knew about this, but I still got an 815 (new every 2) because it's still a good phone and was free!

If you're a 133T |-|4><0R you can update the firmware to a fully capable version - the catch is you could kill your phone and you lose your warranty. Check out v710.org for all the details.

MC
      08-25-2005, 08:47 AM   #8
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E31 E90 F25 MCS

Many thanks to all of you for the great info.
It looks like the crippled features are not that big a deal to us anyway, so we'll probably go for the Moto E815.

MC-Did they just give you the new phones free with your new every two, or did you have to sign a new contract with verizon? i'm thinking they're going to try to bilge me for retail minus the $100 credit.

Ward-What kind of phone are you using?

Thanks again.
Mike
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2005, 09:07 AM   #9
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

I have the 710

used to have a V60, and the verizon shop was able to use a cord and transfer all my numbers over for me.

very much agreed that entering 50+ numbers would be a pain
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2005, 09:12 AM   #10
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
You might want to check the BMW list also. When I bought my car, the only Verizon phone that was officially compatible with the E90 is the V710. That might have changed, and you might be able to pair other phones... but if you have a problem with it, I'm sure BMW will just shrug it off if you're not using a phone on the list. My wife and I both have V710's and they work fine in the car.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2005, 10:47 AM   #11
mc68386
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 330i 6MT

New every 2

I ordered through verizonwireless.com - I got new every 2 with a 2 year commitment. I didn't pay anything out of pocket, and my monthly bill stays the same. I'm happy with Verizon, so it was a no brainer.

Also, I checked the bluetooth page on bmwusa.com, and 815 is now officially supported.

MC
      08-25-2005, 02:56 PM   #12
Jon_Hanson
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by agarbati
From what a customer rep at Verizon told me they have been disabling bluetooth on new phones because of a high profile incident with Paris Hilton where some guys hacked into her address book. He said that until that is resolved they are not offering bluetooth.

Haven't checked into the veracity of this so take it FWIW.
That's not exactly true. Paris Hilton's phone numbers that she calls were exposed by someone that hacked T-Mobile and not her phone.

Someone has probably already answered the original question but "crippled Bluetooth" refers to carriers who want you to transfer things like pictures from your phone through their service and not Bluetooth. This way they make more money on the lucrative data charges. So they install a custom firmware that doesn't allow file transfers to or from the phone. This shouldn't affect the ability of the phone to pair with the car. I wouldn't think that the ability to push the phonebook to the car would be affected by this either but I'm not absolutely sure.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2005, 08:59 PM   #13
JRMillion
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Crippled bluetooth refers to not all the bluetooth profiles being available. For taking photos off your phone for example.
This is mainly done so you are forced to use the providers services for images and ringtones.
This does not effect using a phone with the car. When people say the phone is crippled, usually the headfree profiles are the only ones available for use.
Appreciate 0