E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Thought on Turbo upgrade and heat issues

11-21-2006, 03:15 PM   #1
radgator1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Thought on Turbo upgrade and heat issues

Okay, first off I know very little about this stuff but just wanted to put a question out there for folks who actually know something about this stuff.

It is my understanding that twin turbo cars such as the 335i can have the 2 turbos set up in parallel like the 335i with both turbos spooling together reducing lag but sacrificing a little top end power, or sequesntially where the smaller primary turbo adds boost and prespools the larger one that kicks in at higher RPMs. It has also been stated that the 335i turbos are made of special material and attached to the manifold so it would be $$$ to replace them so would it be possible to add 2 more turbos so you would have a quad turbo with the benefits of both a parallel and a sequential set up at the same time? I'm guessing there wouldn't be room and I am sure there are technical reasons that would make it impractical or way to expensive but it is just a thought.

Concerning heat issues, would it be possible to add a larger Oil pan and 2-3 more quart capacity for not much extra $, and if so would this have a significant impact on engine temp or does the intercooler do most of the work so that the larger oil volume wouldn't have a significant impact?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2006, 06:09 PM   #2
mr2guy
N54 FTW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535xi Wagon

well what you are thinking about would never be implemented. That just too much stuff for such a small problem. With modern turbochargers being what they are, you probably wont see a lot of sequential turbo setups anymore. What we have stock is pretty much perfect. If the turbos are going to be upgraded it's either the stock pieces combined with some aftermarket parts with higher flow characteristics and using a better bearing system, or a kit with a new manifold and intercooler pipes. With the number of companies that now offer fabrication services, the manifold(s) wouldn't be too much of a headache. Maybe instead of increasing pan volume why not just get a more efficient oil cooler or set of coolers? Much easier since there is no fab work, just setting up new lines and a mount for the cooler(s). The 335i will probably be tuned by more people by maximizing efficiency, not just getting bigger and bigger hardware.
      11-21-2006, 06:13 PM   #3
mr2guy
N54 FTW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535xi Wagon

oh and intercoolers do nothing for water temperature or oil temperature. They simply affect the temperature of the air entering the engine.
      11-22-2006, 07:12 AM   #4
Jonn335
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: F07 535 GT

Garage List
it's likley that there will be lots of people offering tuning services/ parts for this car, so you are likley to see a lot of different approaches to getting more power/performance. It is a great car for it, as it has a lot of good points to start with
1) very good brakes 348mm front 336 rear
2) looks very nice (miles better than evos,etc)
3) its got more class and better build quality than the jap cars
4) ZF type g gearbox (same as E60M5) with nice ratios (manual)
5) 6 cylinder turbo engine

Once the various settings/options have been tweeked i am sure that 350 wheel HP will be available with only electronic and perhaps a few small mechanical mods
450HP will need more fuel, hence another set of injectors, possibly modified turbos, possibly other mods as well like a bigger intercooler and a better clutch.
550hp - deffinatly bigger intercooler or chargecooler setup, bigger turbos (or more likley a new setup with one big turbo) bigger oil cooler, and will possibly need internal engine mods, probably limited to stronger big end bolts and head studs.
over 600HP will probably be where the stock engine internals become a problem. (need new conrods/pistons and possibly crankshaft. Also someone somewhere will at great expense find out the limits on the block, which will probably be where tuning of this engine stops. More power will need an iron block engine, but i think those good people who want that sort of power will start with an M3...
Appreciate 0