BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-19-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
OneDirty
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: E28, E34, F20

Newbie says thanks for the headache

I wound up at 1addicts because it seems all the useful info on the upcoming M1 is here - now I've read everything...

...I was refusing to want - thinking 'naah, turbo M-car, no such thing' and a very very happy driver of a 130i hatchback, which I was going to drive until the wheels fell off, then bury it in the back yard like an old faithful hound

Apparently for 18 months only I'll be able to order a Techno Violet 6mt E82 with 360hp, flares, and Motorsport cloth trim? Big brakes and LSD? If it's like how I imagine then it's my idea of a perfect modern BMW (I prefer the old ones...problem is they don't make them any more) and I want one...damn.

I'm still not giving up the 130i - if I can't justify having two 1ers and an E28 to myself, then I suppose my wife will get to drive the 130i instead of her Vespa

Anyways, I just wanted to say thanks for all the reading material and thanks BMW, that's 60 grand you're going to cost me with all your fan-boy button-pushing
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 08:51 AM   #2
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

LOL yeah keep youre 130i

6cil non turbo engine is a dream engine.

Just save up youre money and buy a second hand GT3. That a thru motorsport engine.

I was waiting for a thru motorsport M1 and i had bought one if it ticked al my boxes. But with the change of turbo my ///M hart has died. That means changing brand.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 09:00 AM   #3
OneDirty
Private
Germany
Rep

130i is going nowhere my friend The engine is a peach, and I really like the fact it's in the 'ugly' body...

I'm not exactly overjoyed at turbo M-cars. Apart from the forced induction though the "M1" has got me fairly drooling...meh, if it turns out to be a big mistake I'll be glad the 130i is still in the house

I've got two ///Marketing cars anyway an '85 M535i and '09 130i with M-Paket - a third one isn't going to send me to Hell
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 09:07 AM   #4
BMW-NC
Selling drugs to BMW addicts
Germany
Rep
Drives: 135i e82 6MT N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post
That means changing brand.
Yes. And then you stay there until they arrrive at the modern age and will also use force fed engines. There is no way around change. Do wat I did. Embrace it and start to love it!

Off topic: As I drive many different BMW models (demonstrators) i have to say that the turbo ones are the most fun. Oh and the M3 which I love for its instant gas pedal push to forward movement feature ;-)
      04-19-2010, 09:28 AM   #5
OneDirty
Private
Germany
Rep

I can't change brand, sorry

Porsches are a thing of beauty (mechanically speaking) but a bit rich for my taste - I couldn't put small house money on just 1 car...I don't even have a house

Another part of me wanting to keep the 130i for evaaah is knowing it's one of the last of the NA breed - my formative automotive years were spent gunning old straight sixes around, so I'm collecting souvenirs. Now I'm old (32) and if I want any more new ones (I've had this sad little dream since I was a sad little boy - driving away from the showroom in my new black on black M5) then I'm going to learn to live with the hairdryers-on-engines thing...and maybe, just try and live with all that power potential
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 01:20 PM   #6
jayson
Life's too short for chess
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 991.2 T / E36 M3

Lets just hope that they actually fix the HPFP issues before releasing this car!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 02:26 PM   #7
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

I just switched out of my 135i into a Lexus 6 month ago and I am already bored with the Lexus. Love the looks of is350, reliability and the luxury amenities: heated seats, LED illuminated foot well that changes in intensity whether transmission is set to Park or Drive. But the car is not me, not sure how I can elaborate further. Either you are on the same wave length or not.

Part of me wants the new M1 and part of me don't. We know what they pros are. The cons are the exterior design and potential reoccurring issues from 135i. I warmed up to the E82 design but was never completely sold. For example to this date when I see an E46 M3 I'd say that's a good looking car but only some days I say the same on the 1 series, depending on the angle I see the 1. Hopefully the aggressive redesign will address the aesthetic deficiencies. Reliabilities wise, I had issues other than HPFP, like the fuel vent valve and SRS sesnors. And we still do not know whether the pump was the culprit or the symptom of a problem from interconnected parts.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 02:34 PM   #8
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post
LOL yeah keep youre 130i

6cil non turbo engine is a dream engine.

Just save up youre money and buy a second hand GT3. That a thru motorsport engine.

I was waiting for a thru motorsport M1 and i had bought one if it ticked al my boxes. But with the change of turbo my ///M hart has died. That means changing brand.
You have some of the best BMW cars, as the M3 GTS is the best IMO. It would be better if BMW M used the 130i than the 135i to build its M1. I can not waite for the M1, because I want to know how BMW M will come out and if it is M race car worthy.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 04:25 PM   #9
LeoHammer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDirty View Post
I can't change brand, sorry
Good man.