E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Adding tweeters - worth it?

04-22-2010, 05:23 AM   #1
r0w3r
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

Adding tweeters - worth it?

Hello,

I have a '58 plate LCI E90 with the standard factory stereo.

I like my music and have a decent home stereo. However, in a car, I cannot really see the point in going mad on a stereo, what with all the other noises interfering with the music.

So, I'm considering a modest upgrade of just adding the BMW hi-fi tweeters.

I did this to my previous car (120i) and thought it sounded a little harsh. I had to reduce the treble output which I figured kind of defeated the object of fitting the tweeters.

Please could anyone who has done this upgrade tell me if they think it's worth the cost (£120 or so in parts) and effort (removing door cards and refitting) to add the hi-fi tweeters to the stock stereo?

Many thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 06:10 AM   #2
fdiprete
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 512i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0w3r View Post
I did this to my previous car (120i) and thought it sounded a little harsh. I had to reduce the treble output which I figured kind of defeated the object of fitting the tweeters.
exactly. 1-2K spike in the factory setup swamps everything else.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 09:45 AM   #3
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
If you have standard audio and want an improvement, but not complete overhaul, in sound you need to swap out the door speakers at least and you should amp them. Try the alpine retrofit. Adding a trunk sub will help some too depending on what type of music you listen to. Or you could do the SWS-8 upgrade. There is tons of info on the SWS-8 and Alpine retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 10:23 AM   #4
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

What fdiprete is referring to is that BMW has equalized the signal coming out of the head unit to attempt to compensate for your missing tweeters. When tweeters are connected, you get a poor sound. When upgrades are performed, this processed signal has to be compensated for in some way.

As far as your other statement, have fun listening to all those other noises that are your reason for not getting a good sound system. Those other noises are a lot of the reason to HAVE a good sound system.
Appreciate 0