BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-23-2010, 09:25 AM   #1
superchargedman
Captain
Rep
Drives: The ///Mbulance: 1M AW

MT vs. DCT

I thought I'd relieve the video thread. Discuss amongst yourselves.

Although it seems feasible, the video does seem to show several indications that point to a MT. Let the chaos begin.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 09:27 AM   #2
OneDirty
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: E28, E34, F20

Manual. Unless you can stall a DCT?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 09:35 AM   #3
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List

Big can of worms!
      04-23-2010, 09:38 AM   #4
superchargedman
Captain
Rep
Drives: The ///Mbulance: 1M AW

The intention was to open the can of worms in an isolated can that could keep the worms out of other threads (i.e. the video sticky). Just trying to provide an outlet for some.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 09:46 AM   #5
OneDirty
Private
Germany
Rep

Said my piece (says a noob)

Manual I'm not doubting that it will come as a DCT (if that's the only transmission choice then I'm disgusted, and out) but that black and paisley bitch that's twitching my wallet and making me want to go on a waiting list for the first time ever...is a manual
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 10:01 AM   #6
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

MTs are fun and "the real driving experience" to many on this site - I will not really argue. The main benefits of MTs over automatics, other than being a real man while driving one, was: 1) better performance/acceleration, and 2) better gas mileage. I say "was" b/c now the DCT kills the MT on acceleration and gas mileage. I know, my wife has the Z4 35i with DCT and a few other modded goodies. Look, the MT will always be fun: throwing the gates, manipulating the pedals, etc. but even the "top" race cars in this world have used DCT for some time now. I admit that if the 1M is offered with both transmissions that would be GOOD so that we can choose - but if only one is offered you should hope it is the DCT because it will make this car much better on the track and off. It is faster, instant shifting with rev matching, and better gas mileage - albeit it weighs more but the performance numbers despite the heavier weight do not lie. I am performance driven so if I have to feel a little more like a girl while driving the DCT but kicking your a__, so be it.

Last edited by Vintage; 04-23-2010 at 10:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 10:09 AM   #7
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post

Big can of worms!
This.

I give the thread about 2 pages until we have to close. Please prove me wrong guys!

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 10:12 AM   #8
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDirty View Post
Has anyone asked the M3 guys? Many of them have the DCT and could probably offer their insight.
      04-23-2010, 10:16 AM   #9
OneDirty
Private
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBMW View Post
MTs are fun and "the real driving experience" to many on this site - I will not really argue. The main benefits of MTs over automatics, other than being a real man while driving one, was: 1) better performance/acceleration, and 2) better gas mileage. I say "was" b/c now the DCT kills the MT on acceleration and gas mileage. I know, my wife has the Z4 35i with DCT and a few other modded goodies. Look, the MT will always be fun: throwing the gates, manipulating the pedals, etc. but even the "top" race cars in this world have used DCT for some time now. I admit that if the 1M is offered with both transmissions that would be GOOD so that we can choose - but if only one is offered you should hope it is the DCT because it will make this car much better on the track and off. It is faster, instant shifting with rev matching, and better gas mileage - albeit it weighs more but the performance numbers despite the heavier weight do not lie. I am performance driven so if I have to feel a little more like a girl while driving the DCT but kicking your a__, so be it.
Mate. I drive an automatic. No sweat, I love it. Good combination of engine/trans/body.

I was just trying to say I'm not a great fan personally of this double-clutch style gearbox. I'm completely aware of the benefits too.

"My" ///MwhateverTii will come with a manual, or not at all

I will love doing stunts in my 3-pedaller, and not be bothered that you'll kick my ass. My usual racetrack has got trucks and buses and stuff all travelling down the right-hand-side of it

For those times when I really need a clutch, no amount of fancy gearbox tech/0.00000001 sec upshifts/whirling VAG will substitute it...I respect that you're performance driven, I'm more for giggles and tyre smoke
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 10:17 AM   #10
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Mate. I drive an automatic. No sweat, I love it. Good combination of engine/trans/body.

I was just trying to say I'm not a great fan personally of this double-clutch style gearbox. I'm completely aware of the benefits too.

"My" ///MwhateverTii will come with a manual, or not at all

I will love doing stunts in my 3-pedaller, and not be bothered that you'll kick my ass. My usual racetrack has got trucks and buses and stuff all travelling down the right-hand-side of it

For those times when I really need a clutch, no amount of fancy gearbox tech/0.00000001 sec upshifts/whirling VAG will substitute it...
I do not disagree on the FUN side of the argument - MTs are much more fun. The DCT is amazing but very clinical.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 10:18 AM   #11
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
I will definitely try DCT. If it really does respond instantly and as predictably as people say, I'll probably go for it. If it doesn't, it wouldn't be the first time some new hyped technology disappointed me.

But now I'm thinking ... just last week, a beautiful woman rode in my car, so naturally I was heel-toe double-clutching for no reason except to show off ... and she was so impressed! Damn I would miss that lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 10:19 AM   #12
OneDirty
Private
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBMW View Post
I do not disagree on the FUN side of the argument - MTs are much more fun. The DCT is amazing but very clinical.
And I don't disagree on the technical side! In years to come, manual performance cars are sadly going to be a distant memory so I'll get a couple now and hoard them
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 10:49 AM   #13
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Remember the Top Gear episode where they compared the Porsche Boxter S to the Z4 M? Hammond talked about the Porsche being a precision tool and the M being like a tepin pepper (the hottest pepper in the world)....

That's how I see the DCT vs. MT argument, regardless of the car in which it is installed. The DCT is faster, better, more clinical--aka surgical. The MT is more fun, more involved--aka, like the pepper.

Both accomplish the same thing, but in different ways--different strokes for different folks, right?

I prefer MT--but totally respect the DCT.
      04-23-2010, 10:54 AM   #14
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Sorry, but if I was getting an M1 or whatever it'll be called, i would want to maximize its performance, and that means getting DCT. I'm a MT guy myself and would still get DCT. Lighting quick shifts and on a turbo car, you see the benefits of an automatic tranny when it comes to shifts and losing boost when shifting with a manual.
      04-23-2010, 11:04 AM   #15
Farred
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 Evo X

i have only had manuals and im sick and tired of shifting. i have just been doing research for a few months on cars that already have the dct and thats what brought me here. i have rode in plenty of dct cars and i have to have it. yes there will be sometimes that i want the mt but the amount of times i dont want it will be a lot more.

/worthless opinion
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 11:07 AM   #16
jabwind51
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 BMW 130is, '97 BMW M3/4/5

Quote:
i must confess. i did in fact stall my old e46 SMG M3 once! but it was not as you would expect or as in the m1 video..and i don't know how different the DCT is from the old SMGII...but...

it happened in very hard braking and downshifting and when the car stopped, it stalled. had to turn it back on. kinda weird!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 11:12 AM   #17
OneDirty
Private
Germany
Rep

Freaky!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 12:52 PM   #18
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabwind51 View Post
i must confess. i did in fact stall my old e46 SMG M3 once! but it was not as you would expect or as in the m1 video..and i don't know how different the DCT is from the old SMGII...but...

it happened in very hard braking and downshifting and when the car stopped, it stalled. had to turn it back on. kinda weird!
the SMG and DCT and totally different animals - the DCT is much better, smoother, quicker, ridiculous performance, etc. for the MT guys and gals that are forever loyal - go drive the new DCT on the M3 or Z4; i think most of you will fall in love
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 01:07 PM   #19
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
Sorry, but if I was getting an M1 or whatever it'll be called, i would want to maximize its performance, and that means getting DCT. I'm a MT guy myself and would still get DCT. Lighting quick shifts and on a turbo car, you see the benefits of an automatic tranny when it comes to shifts and losing boost when shifting with a manual.
My thoughts exactly!
      04-23-2010, 01:37 PM   #20
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

I dont understanding why we are beating a dead horse. There are so many threads on this topic already.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 04:17 AM   #21
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

May be the horse is not quite dead...

Well, interesting thing about what happend about a few weeks ago. My wife's 125i has a slush box and decided that I will have some fun. I was in auto mode entering the round about, and with my genius - I decided to tap it to 2nd gear and launch away - the next thing I know was my tail's out, follow by engine power cut. The DSC saved me from embarrassing myself. I have never lost my tail in the same round about ever in my 135i.

Sometimes I feel despite the fact that how fast and accurate the DCT is, you lack the control you have with a MT - and sometimes it is because you are not driving the car properly. The temptation to do something stupid like I did was because it can be done by just flicking my fingers (or pushing in my thumb in this case). With a MT, I would have already been in the right gear before the round about and feathering the accelerator so I don't get my tail out on the exit. Even if you are not in the right gear, you would not be silly enough to do that because I feel I am always more aware when I am driving a MT rather than an 'automatic' box.

What I am trying to say is that driving MT actually makes you a better driver, because it is required that you plan (even subconsciously) when you should change gears, when you should slip your clutch a bit more, how much throttle you are putting in.

I haven't decided what transmission I am going to get for the car but I really found myself enjoying driving a lot more since I have gone back to the manual in the 135i.

The DCT is a bliz, but you can never feel as connected as the MT.

In response to the video - who really cares the laps and the fenders looks hot.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 07:05 AM   #22
135BANDIT
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 BMT & X5 Msport

Im confused - they are both Manuals

One just happens to change quicker than what can be obtained with my crappy legs.

oh are F1 cars not all DCT

JD
Appreciate 0