E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Replacing the Battery on a E90

04-27-2010, 11:31 PM   #1
Guam128i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 328

Replacing the Battery on a E90

I have had my 06 325i since new. It only has 18K miles. The warranty is over. The car gets parked for weeks with no starting issues. About 2 days ago I tried to start the car and it could barely crank but still got it started. After this noticng that the battery was weak I hooked up a 2A battery tender. After 3 days the car will not start. hooked it up to a 25A battery charger (while still in the car and connected) for about 8 hours and still would not start. Jump started the car and then drove it for about 20 miles keeping the revs up, while driving the radio would not have any volume to it and the brake light and ABS warning lights keep going on. When I got home I chyeck the brake fluid and the level is okay. Tried to start the car again and it is completely drained.

Called the BMW dealer on Guam and asked about this and they said the battery is dead. if i replaced the battery it would have to be the original one ($367) because the computer needs to know what battery it is and they also need to program the computer as to the charging rate it needs to be at. I can buy an replacement battery (Interstate) for $135.

I have an 04 Subaru STI with 16K miles on original battery a Mitsubishi Evolution with 46K miles just replaced the battery last year and never had this problems or things that needed to be done just to replace the battery.

I was also told that I should not disconnect the battery from the car or else I will need to take it to the dealer to reprogram, too late I already took it out to try and re-charge the battery.

I can see it coming I cannot compare a BMW to a Japanese car but why make this a complicated thing?

Any comments or suggestions? I think getting a $367 battery plus reprogramminng is crazy.

Last edited by Guam128i; 04-28-2010 at 12:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 07:48 AM   #2
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

So you need a new battery plain and simple. The dealer is correct, the car needs to be reprogrammed. When you get the next one get a Battery Tender and keep the battery on storage charge when the car is not being driven. Or drive it more than 4K miles a year.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 08:31 AM   #3
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

myself and several others have just bought an old school wally world battery and threw it in without the recode registration, no issues.

$70 and a 3 year warranty even if it does fail. hard to beat that.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 09:47 PM   #4
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

^ +1 I plan on changing my battery with a Walmart battery too.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 10:33 AM   #5
csupernova
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

I changed mine with autozone battery. Screw the dealership !!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 10:47 AM   #6
matrix76
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i Black/Red

The bar is set too low!

Hi guys, newbie but an oldie. I could not resist responding to this thread as I am currently going through the same problem with my 09 323i.

I bought the car new last fall and seem to have had issues right away. The fuel injection system turns out needed and firmware and software update which fixed that problem.

Now I am experiencing a battery issue. I first notice that my personal setting were restoring themselves back to factory settings when I started the car. This happened frequently and I sent it in to get checked out. The car came back days later with a report of "no problem found". A week later the same thing happen. The only common denominator in all this that I could determine was the battery. I took out my multi-meter and tested the battery after the car had been running for an hour or so. To my surprise it was reading 11.92V. Well after few test starts I measured the voltage dropping to 11.81V which I know is too low. Also when it was running the voltage went over 15V and stayed there.

I video taped this process and put it up on You Tube and sent the link off to the service department. After explaining it to them they took my car back and were able to recreate the low voltage situation I described . They informed me that my battery was functioning at 70%. I explained to them that this battery issue is causing my personal setting to continue to go back to factory default settings, and they agreed.

The problem now is that BMW will only replace the battery, under warranty, when it goes below 50%. Wow, I am having functionality problems now at 70%, as the battery deteriorates to 50% I will be stranded numerous times. I am sure when it gets to 60% I will be having major problems.

Their recommendation to correct this problem is to install a new BMW battery in my car and bill me for it. Come on, "BMW", at 50% the car is dead by then.

This is an ongoing issue and my car is still there. They will be calling me after their managers meeting to let me know what they have decided to do.

You Tube video link is:

Last edited by matrix76; 05-06-2010 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 10:59 AM   #7
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

^ Go to a different dealer! If not, take all their names and write a letter to BMW NA. Is there a lemon law in Canada? If so, tell your current BMW manager that you will start the process. This is unacceptable for a 2009 BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 11:39 AM   #8
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
The battery in our '08 328xi was replaced under warranty for the same symptoms.
      05-04-2010, 10:37 PM   #9
AlanAZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 325i sport manual

It was an E46, but I had a battery replaced when it was less than a year old under warranty. They did have to keep the car overnight, charging it, and since it wouldn't hold (the car wouldn't start), replaced it.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 09:53 AM   #10
matrix76
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix76 View Post
Hi guys, newbie but an oldie. I could not resist responding to this thread as I am currently going through the same problem with my 09 323i.

I bought the car new last fall and seem to have had issues right away. The fuel injection system turns out needed and firmware and software update which fixed that problem.

Now I am experiencing a battery issue. I first notice that my personal setting were restoring themselves back to factory settings when I started the car. This happened frequently and I sent it in to get checked out. The car came back days later with a report of "no problem found". A week later the same thing happen. The only common denominator in all this that I could determine was the battery. I took out my multi-meter and tested the battery after the car had been running for an hour or so. To my surprise it was reading 11.92V. Well after few test starts I measured the voltage dropping to 11.81V which I know is too low. Also when it was running the voltage went over 15V and stayed there.

I video taped this process and put it up on You Tube and sent the link off to the service department. After explaining it to them they took my car back and were able to recreate the low voltage situation I described . They informed me that my battery was functioning at 70%. I explained to them that this battery issue is causing my personal setting to continue to go back to factory default settings, and they agreed.

The problem now is that BMW will only replace the battery, under warranty, when it goes below 50%. Wow, I am having functionality problems now at 70%, as the battery deteriorates to 50% I will be stranded numerous times. I am sure when it gets to 60% I will be having major problems.

Their recommendation to correct this problem is to install a new BMW battery in my car and bill me for it. Come on, "BMW", at 50% the car is dead by then.

This is an ongoing issue and my car is still there. They will be calling me after their managers meeting to let me know what they have decided to do.

You Tube video link is:

UPDATE , , , After a week and a half of extensive testing, on their part, they finally were able to get the battery to fail to a point where they were now able to replace the battery under warranty. I received the car back yesterday and it now functions perfectly. I did a quick test and the voltage is normal at 12.68V. They did say that the video did clearly indicate the problem existed and I think it was because of that they kept persisting and final came to the obvious result. I can only imagine how this would have been handled, on their part, if I had not sent them the link. Would they every have agreed to the replacement. I can only wonder what some people have gone through with the same issue and were not able to get the same results.

, , , This is not the end of this unfortunately, yesterday morning coming into work a stone hit the windshield of the NEW 2010 328 loaner and cracked it. I will now have to deal with this today , , ,

Last edited by matrix76; 05-07-2010 at 12:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 01:55 PM   #11
koreez88
Всем привет ;)
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla

I threw in a battery from Pep Boys, $90, no reprogramming whatsoever, works like a charm. For almost 6 months now.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 03:44 PM   #12
rambalu80
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix76 View Post
UPDATE , , , After a week and a half of extensive testing, on their part, they finally were able to get the battery to fail to a point where they were now able to replace the battery under warranty. I received the car back yesterday and it now functions perfectly. I did a quick test and the voltage is normal at 12.68V. They did say that the video did clearly indicate the problem existed and I think it was because of that they kept persisting and final came to the obvious result. I can only imagine how this would have been handled, on their part, if I had not sent them the link. Would they every have agreed to the replacement. I can only wonder what some people have gone through with the same issue and were not able to get the same results.

, , , This is not the end of this unfortunately, yesterday morning coming into work a stone hit the windshield of the NEW 2010 328 loaner and cracked it. I will now have to deal with this today , , ,
If it is a chip, see if you can get it fixed. If they tell you that you will need to replace the windshield, FWIW, my dealership replaced my windshield for $395.00. The new windshield is an OEM Pilkington and the all sensors work just as good as they should. I should mention that I can confirm it is OEM b/c less than 2 weeks later, I had a rock chip on the new one!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 04:09 PM   #13
matrix76
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambalu80 View Post
If it is a chip, see if you can get it fixed.

No, actually it hit right by the edge of the glass and crack almost immediately. Just my luck , , ,

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 10:27 PM   #14
NaTuReB0Y