E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Xede - Texas Tune Results

12-03-2006, 07:18 PM   #1
williamf
Audi Convert
United_States
Rep
Drives: Past: 335i Now: TTRS stage 2+

Xede - Texas Tune Results

Well it was an eventful day in New Braunfels (right outside San Antonio). After an hour and a half delay because the shop employees were late to let us in, we got started. First off, Shiv is a super guy and we were quite fortunate to be able to meet him. He is a sincere and genuine fellow who really knows his stuff.

My Steptronic 335i base lined at 271hp. Due to the transmission downshifting when full gas was applied, the torque number was incorrect and not worth reporting.

After tuning, the best hp number my car got was 317.

My seat of the pants torque meter indicates that there is between 60 and 80 extra points here. The car is dramatically faster. There is a massive difference when the DTC is on and off. When it is on the computer limits everything just like before, so you won't get into to trouble, but the power is not there either. Turn off the DTC and hold on for dear life.

Not only off the line, but at just about every power level, the car pulls much harder.

I took some video and pictures and I will try to upload some of this soon.

For you MT guys, just wait. Shiv told me some amazing number that the other two guys got, but I will leave it to them to tell their story.

As I see it I just paid approx $28 per hp increase, which I think is just about the best bang for the buck out there. Stock the car would have to produce over 1700 hp to get the same bang from the buck.

Compared to my SC G35, this car is much faster off the line and pull about the same at high speeds. Since I know first hand that my G can take a new 911 at all speeds, I am sure my 335i would smash a 911.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2006, 07:24 PM   #2
sstarch1
From Russia With Boost
Rep
Drives: E92 335i - Vroom

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Awsome.

1) Cant wait for the videos?
2) DTC button off - do you hit it once, or hold and turn everything comepletely off?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2006, 07:28 PM   #3
Ryan@Motorwerks
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M

ummm any idea when the other guys will get home and report back? btw very nice gains And also, what octane gas did you get tuned for?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2006, 07:32 PM   #4
Weedo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe, 2006 IS350

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335e90
ummm any idea when the other guys will get home and report back? btw very nice gains And also, what octane gas did you get tuned for?
Don't leave us MT guys hangin'! What were their numbers!
Sport - Premium
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2006, 07:35 PM   #5
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

what are you going to do with all that horses...cannot wait to see the video.
      12-03-2006, 07:41 PM   #6
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

I'm not sure if I really want to turn the DTC off, so are you saying that the extra 45+HP/TQ you're seeing can only be had with DTC off...the extra HP/TQ cannot be had with DTC on? I'm having Shiv install the Xede in 2 weeks here in S. FL, but I have yet to turn off the DTC on my car as I kind of like the security of it being on (just in case... ). I would be disappointed if I have to keep the DTC off in order to benefit from the Xede's power maps. Also, the Canadian guys (running on 94 octane Prem gas) got ~335WHP & ~ 365 lb-ft. TQ at the wheels...was this b/c they were MT and not AT tranny's? 18WHP seems like a significant difference. Maybe Shiv will chime in on all of this.

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2006, 07:46 PM   #7
williamf
Audi Convert
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarch1
Awsome.

1) Cant wait for the videos?
2) DTC button off - do you hit it once, or hold and turn everything comepletely off?
I did not know that holding it turned "everything" off. What is the difference between pushing the button and holding the button? All I have ever done is push the button.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2006, 07:49 PM   #8
williamf
Audi Convert
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335e90
I believe we all tuned for 93 octane. I used Cheveron. The guy who got the best gains used Shell. I doubt there is any real difference between the brands, but it is worth noting.

Not sure when the other guys will post, but one of them is very active on this forum. So I am sure it will be soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2006, 07:50 PM   #9
williamf
Audi Convert
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedo
Don't leave us MT guys hangin'! What were their numbers!
I believe their numbers were the best yet. I had to leave before they were finished, but I spoke to Shiv by phone and I was amazed.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2006, 07:53 PM   #10
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamf
My Steptronic 335i base lined at 271hp. Due to the transmission downshifting when full gas was applied, the torque number was incorrect and not worth reporting.

After tuning, the best hp number my car got was 317.
Just out of curiosity, how many miles do you have on your car, and did you do a "hard" break-in (basically, drive it like you want to from day 1) or did you do the BMW recommended "soft" break-in (keeping it under 4,500rpm and under 100mph for the first 500-1,200mi.? Thanks.

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2006, 08:05 PM   #11
williamf
Audi Convert
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator
I'm not sure if I really want to turn the DTC off, so are you saying that the extra 45+HP/TQ you're seeing can only be had with DTC off...the extra HP/TQ cannot be had with DTC on? I'm having Shiv install the Xede in 2 weeks here in S. FL, but I have yet to turn off the DTC on my car as I kind of like the security of it being on (just in case... ). I would be disappointed if I have to keep the DTC off in order to benefit from the Xede's power maps. Also, the Canadian guys (running on 94 octane Prem gas) got ~335WHP & ~ 365 lb-ft. TQ at the wheels...was this b/c they were MT and not AT tranny's? 18WHP seems like a significant difference. Maybe Shiv will chime in on all of this.
Off the line, the DTC robs a significant amount of power from the upgrade. However, it is still much more powerful than stock. If I had to guess, the DTC is robbing 10 to 15 hp and 25 to 35 torque. Just turn the DTC off when you want to play around and feel safe doing so. It is all under your control. Other than off the line performance and in the curves, the DTC does not seem to affect the power at all.

I agree that 18whp seems like a lot. In fact, it is even more significant when you see the new numbers from the MT guys. There is no doubt that the AT robs some power. How much is a matter of debate. Personally, I think my numbers look a little low because the logic in the AT tranny tries to out think what the driver wants (e.g., it down shifts when you don't want it to). So on paper the numbers look lower, but I suspect that in the real world the numbers are much closer. Just my biased guess:-)

A word on the tranny: It is still just as smooth as before. No noticeable change at all. Everything works perfect.

Also, if you prefer a quiet car, I can not hear any significant difference from the engine or exhaust, although, the sound is slightly different.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2006, 08:08 PM   #12
vanillarice19
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

Dang, I was hoping for the results for the Steptronic Transmission on 91 octane.
At least we know for sure it can be done.

Any difference on how the shifts feel with the extra power? Is it more Jerky, rough or louder? Just wondering how the Auto tranny feels with the new power....
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2006, 08:09 PM   #13
williamf
Audi Convert
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, how many miles do you have on your car, and did you do a "hard" break-in (basically, drive it like you want to from day 1) or did you do the BMW recommended "soft" break-in (keeping it under 4,500rpm and under 100mph for the first 500-1,200mi.? Thanks.
I took the car to the limit the moment I left the dealership. I don't always drive hard, but I don't let a little thing like manufacturers recommendations stand in my way. 1600 miles as of this morning
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2006, 08:11 PM   #14
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Off the line, the DTC robs a significant amount of power from the upgrade. However, it is still much more powerful than stock. If I had to guess, the DTC is robbing 10 to 15 hp and 25 to 35 torque. Just turn the DTC off when you want to play around and feel safe doing so. It is all under your control. Other than off the line performance and in the curves, the DTC does not seem to affect the power at all.

I agree that 18whp seems like a lot. In fact, it is even more significant when you see the new numbers from the MT guys. There is no doubt that the AT robs some power. How much is a matter of debate. Personally, I think my numbers look a little low because the logic in the AT tranny tries to out think what the driver wants (e.g., it down shifts when you don't want it to). So on paper the numbers look lower, but I suspect that in the real world the numbers are much closer. Just my biased guess:-)

A word on the tranny: It is still just as smooth as before. No noticeable change at all. Everything works perfect.

Also, if you prefer a quiet car, I can not hear any significant difference from the engine or exhaust, although, the sound is slightly different.
I suspected that this is the case. I feel my car is plenty powerful now with DTC on, so I suppose that any major increase in HP/TQ (like adding ~ 40-50HP/TQ with the Xede) would be un-fn-real whether DTC is still on or off. Thank you for your reply.

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2006, 08:12 PM   #15
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I took the car to the limit the moment I left the dealership. I don't always drive hard, but I don't let a little thing like manufacturers recommendations stand in my way. 1600 miles as of this morning
Cool, thanks. I have >1,300 mi. on my car now, and similarly, I drove it the way I like from day 1!

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2006, 08:13 PM   #16
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93

Did you try manual mode to avoid the worst of the steptronic nannies? IMHO, manual mode with the paddles make this tranny sing...
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2006, 10:10 PM   #17
williamf
Audi Convert
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiver68
Did you try manual mode to avoid the worst of the steptronic nannies? IMHO, manual mode with the paddles make this tranny sing...
Yep, manual mode or the paddles are amazing. It is hard to imagine a real person shifting with more skill, but there must be some lost power in all those widgets. Otherwise the dyno numbers would look different.

As far as the dyno is concerned, here is the problem that Shiv had. He attempted to make a complete run from 2K rpm to 6K+ rpm in 3rd gear (apparently this is the way it is normally done). However, when he would floor-it, it would cause the tranny to shift ino 2nd. [The tranny thought he wanted more torque]. So this would totally screw up the dyno. In the real world, this would only make a small difference, but with a dyno it is totally unintelligible.

On the 3 hour drive home, I may have found a work around for Shiv's problem. If you hold the paddle shifter down [ or up], then the coupe will hold the gear until you let go. The only aberration is a millisecond when the coupe attempt to downshift, but it never actually does downshift. I don't know if this would screw-up the dyno or not. I informed Shiv of this possible work around.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2006, 10:28 PM   #18
williamf
Audi Convert
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Cool, thanks. I have >1,300 mi. on my car now, and similarly, I drove it the way I like from day 1!
I believe 99% of drivers are like you and me, but only 10% will admit to it. I also believe BMW and the other car makers know this and develop thier cars with this in mind. I think the break-in period is mostly (I said mostly for all you hard core guys) just the car makers covering their ....
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2006, 10:34 PM   #19
kcarriga
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3, 2007 VW Touareg

In order to reach a full throttle opening, I don't believe you have to engage the kick-down mode. You should be able to put the car into manual mode, select a gear, and then depress the throttle to the first pressure detent. It will then hold that gear to redline. Is that not how everyone else's car works?

For track days I'm having a clip-in throttle stop made to prevent the kick-down from working (i.e. the exit of the carosel at sears point, where a higher gear may be better and the potential torque fluctuation from an un-intended downshift would cause a rear lock-up when close to the limit). Maybe it could help in getting good dyno results from auto cars...

If there is a throttle map difference between the first and second detents, I’d rather tune for the first detent, where the operation of the car is based on driver inputs through the paddle shifters. Well, for Road courses anyways.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2006, 11:24 PM   #20
Insider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarriga
In order to reach a full throttle opening, I don't believe you have to engage the kick-down mode. You should be able to put the car into manual mode, select a gear, and then depress the throttle to the first pressure detent. It will then hold that gear to redline. Is that not how everyone else's car works?

For track days I'm having a clip-in throttle stop made to prevent the kick-down from working (i.e. the exit of the carosel at sears point, where a higher gear may be better and the potential torque fluctuation from an un-intended downshift would cause a rear lock-up when close to the limit). Maybe it could help in getting good dyno results from auto cars...

If there is a throttle map difference between the first and second detents, I’d rather tune for the first detent, where the operation of the car is based on driver inputs through the paddle shifters. Well, for Road courses anyways.
Exactly. Put the trans in DS mode and then use the paddles to put the car in 3rd gear. Then depress the throttle till the first pressure detent. You will have full throttle at that point, from 2000rpm to redline.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2006, 11:30 PM   #21
Hunter399
Major General
Rep
Drives: F90M5

No, dont put it in DS mode

Put it in manual mode
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2006, 11:34 PM   #22
vanillarice19
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

You put it on DS mode and it shifts automatically. But once you shift using the paddles or shift knob, DS becomes Manual Mode..... So you're both right
Appreciate 0