E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Installing PBX on my own... is it possible to damage the car doing it incorrectly?

05-15-2010, 11:40 PM   #1
tracerit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 BRZ Limited 6MT

Installing PBX on my own... is it possible to damage the car doing it incorrectly?

I'm going through the pdf instructions over and over but until the daylight tomorrrow, i won't really know how hard or easy this DIY will be. Just wondering if i plug the wrong pin, connect it incorrectly, etc if any of that will completely f the car up :/
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 03:16 AM   #2
modtheebmw
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90

call frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerit View Post
I'm going through the pdf instructions over and over but until the daylight tomorrrow, i won't really know how hard or easy this DIY will be. Just wondering if i plug the wrong pin, connect it incorrectly, etc if any of that will completely f the car up :/

bro, just call Frank form **********s. he had mine installed within 30 mins. make sure your car has a full tank of gas. you will enjoy driving the new HP gained if you have intake and exhaust. car will kick ass. He has installed many of these and looks as if he can install it with his eyes close.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 03:30 AM   #3
Juan.sidarta
Banned
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: ex-e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by modtheebmw View Post
bro, just call Frank form **********s. he had mine installed within 30 mins. make sure your car has a full tank of gas. you will enjoy driving the new HP gained if you have intake and exhaust. car will kick ass. He has installed many of these and looks as if he can install it with his eyes close.
How much did u pay? Can I ask?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 05:51 AM   #4
tracerit
Captain
United_States
Rep

f***!!!! i wanted to be all tidy so i thought it would be a good idea to do connect the wires together all at the same time instead of doing it individually one at a time and now i forgot which wires are the correct ones... i have four wires unaccounted for so 16 different combinations...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 07:56 AM   #5
konradsa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i E90

Quote:
f***!!!! i wanted to be all tidy so i thought it would be a good idea to do connect the wires together all at the same time instead of doing it individually one at a time and now i forgot which wires are the correct ones... i have four wires unaccounted for so 16 different combinations...
Wow... seriously? That's not good. I would not try them all out, you could damage something. I'd rather email Mike from BMS, they should be able to assist you. Just tell them what the colors of the wires are, they should be able to tell you the number of the slot they belong in.

And by the way, you actually have 4! = 24 different combinations! :-)
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 07:57 AM   #6
konradsa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i E90

Quote:
Wow... seriously? That's not good. I would not try them all out, you may damage something. I'd rather email Mike from BMS, they should be able to assist you. Just tell them what the colors of the wires are, they should be able to tell you the number of the slot they belong in.

And by the way, with 4 wires you actually have 4! = 24 different combinations! :-)
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 08:32 AM   #7
tracerit
Captain
United_States
Rep

the large connector on the left were the same colors as the pdf instructions however when i got to the right side connector, they were different colors but i read to just go by the pin location instead of numbers. the subconnectors on the right have the same colors unlike on the left where they were different from each other. i don't think Mike from BMS will be able to help though, since the colors are different. i just need to know if this will damage my car or not if i keep trying the different combinations :/ after four hours, i'm going to go to sleep and try again in 5 hours.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 09:22 PM   #8
tracerit
Captain
United_States
Rep

update. luckily i was able to guess correctly all four wires from how the end of the wire was bent because it's really tight in that ECU box so i kind of guessed how it was before and then connected them correctly. even though it's my first hour with it, the effects are so noticeable. it's an entirely different car, i feel like the car's still accelerating even after i let off the gas, acceleration is quicker and i was hitting 90 on the freeway when i usually just get to 75 and let it cruise at 80. i'll definitely have to get used to how the car drives now.

the whole installation experience was a pain though, BMW really packed and crammed everything together in the engine bay, i ended up breaking two tabs on the plastic cowl but luckily there's four so it's still held in place.

my tips would be to definitely do each wire one at a time or just mark them with a sharpie. marking them with a sharpie will definitely make it tidier and prevents the connects from dislodging when you're putting everything back in place.

definitely love the car more now, next in line is to do my first oil change after i get over the fear of driving off these rhino ramps
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 03:59 PM   #9
M II
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
update. luckily i was able to guess correctly all four wires from how the end of the wire was bent because it's really tight in that ECU box so i kind of guessed how it was before and then connected them correctly. even though it's my first hour with it, the effects are so noticeable. it's an entirely different car, i feel like the car's still accelerating even after i let off the gas, acceleration is quicker and i was hitting 90 on the freeway when i usually just get to 75 and let it cruise at 80. i'll definitely have to get used to how the car drives now.

the whole installation experience was a pain though, BMW really packed and crammed everything together in the engine bay, i ended up breaking two tabs on the plastic cowl but luckily there's four so it's still held in place.

my tips would be to definitely do each wire one at a time or just mark them with a sharpie. marking them with a sharpie will definitely make it tidier and prevents the connects from dislodging when you're putting everything back in place.

definitely love the car more now, next in line is to do my first oil change after i get over the fear of driving off these rhino ramps
It sounds like you hammered it out. Congrats on the install!

I was going to suggest using a bit of white out, but sharpie will work too!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 04:08 PM   #10
335ievo
Your'e gonna learrrrrrnn tooooday
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i M Sport EB

im glad everything worked out for you!

"Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open." James Dewar
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 04:18 PM   #11
OlivaresAnthony
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4

Garage List
good to see you figured it out...
E90 325i|Sparkling Graphite Metallic|Steptronic|Black Leatherette/Dark Burl Interior|OEM Alarm|35%Front/5%Rear Tint|RD LED License Plate Lights|Rear Fogs Activated|Debadged|Smoked Sidemarkers|Blacklines|Depo P90v2|Matte Black Grille|BMS PBX|AFE Drop In|Charcoal Filter Delete|Air Scoops| RM Silicone Intake Hose| Magnaflow 14815| 19" Avant Garde M310|Continental DWS|M3 Lip Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 07:44 PM   #12
modtheebmw
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90

pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan.sidarta View Post
How much did u pay? Can I ask?
he charged me 80 and worth every penny. I actually owe him a buck bc i was a dollar short.

if you gusy want help, PM and iwill send you his info
Appreciate 0