E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Help - 1 door will not unlock

05-17-2010, 02:27 AM   #1
bmwkong
Rep
Drives: Bike

Last edited by bmwkong; 01-27-2014 at 04:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 03:11 AM   #2
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 530d M Sport, E87 118d M

Garage List
Sounds like the actuator - the manual key only physically unlocks the drivers door - and at the same time electrically actuates the other door locks. I think the rear doors can only be unlocked physically from the inside as you have discovered.
F10 530d M Sport, September 2012 Individual Amazonite Silver, Oyster Dakota Leather, Auto, Nav Pro, Bluetooth + USB Devices, Expanded BMW Online, Comfort Seats, Sunroof, Sun Protection Glass Individual Satin Walnut Honey Brown Trim Interior Inside/Outside Mirror with folding and autodip, M Rear Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 04:48 AM   #3
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I think it can be a DIY. I recall reading a thread recently which contained a link to a BMW service note (TIS) which indicated that if one of the front actuators had failed then both front door actuators needed to be replaced however if one of the rear ones had failed then only the individual failed actuator required replacing.

The TIS went through a check process and commented on some of the likely causes of failure (ingress of silicone lubrication I seem to recall). It also mentioned that electrical overload could cause fuse failure and replacement of one of the fuses with an uprated fuse could prevent this.

Unfortunately I don't have time to check this out (Wife stuck in New York due to volcanic ash and me working and house husbanding )
F10 530d M Sport, September 2012 Individual Amazonite Silver, Oyster Dakota Leather, Auto, Nav Pro, Bluetooth + USB Devices, Expanded BMW Online, Comfort Seats, Sunroof, Sun Protection Glass Individual Satin Walnut Honey Brown Trim Interior Inside/Outside Mirror with folding and autodip, M Rear Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 05:15 AM   #4
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
OK

Have a look at this:

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B511907g.htm

Note the number 511907 in above

Also look at the PDF located here

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...9&d=1187566780

In the PDF (you may be able to find later versions) you can substitute the 6 digit number for each TSB in place of the 6 digit number in the first link above to obtain the bulletin text. UK dealers don't recognise these TSBs and some get annoyed if you mention them however the cars are the same!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 06:20 AM   #5
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I htink if the fuse is OK then it is the actuator which has failed. This is not through personal experience - just interpreting information posted by others.

The indy route may be the place to go if you don't want to be stung for the standard diagnostics undertaken at BMW Dealers which basically tells you what you already know and just seems to be an education process for the dealers - which you pay for
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 03:19 PM   #6
SteveF1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M Sport

Sounds very much like the actuators gone. I had the same thing with the front passenger door late last year as every other door would open using the key and dash button but not the passenger one. I could only open the door internally using the handle but thankfully the car was under warranty and part replaced.

The job was done within a few hours by BMW so I don't think its a particularly hard job if you know what you're doing, although I personally have no idea.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 04:00 PM   #7
firebod
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 320d edition M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveF1 View Post
Sounds very much like the actuators gone. I had the same thing with the front passenger door late last year as every other door would open using the key and dash button but not the passenger one. I could only open the door internally using the handle but thankfully the car was under warranty and part replaced.

The job was done within a few hours by BMW so I don't think its a particularly hard job if you know what you're doing, although I personally have no idea.
I had exactly the same about a month ago, when i picked it up from a service, so i gave them the keys back until they fixed it. Got it back the following day all fixed.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 01:21 PM   #8
SteveF1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M Sport

God, if its just shy of £200 from an independant I'd be frightened to see what a dealer would have charged for my door actuator replacement.
Appreciate 0