E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > About jaywalkers

05-19-2010, 11:27 AM   #1
1013mm
aka 1013MM
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: pokingly flush

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.26]
About jaywalkers

So aren't jaywalkers supposed to get tickets?? Why do I hear about people getting pulled over for not yielding to pedestrians when they are jaywalking?? In the end I don't see the pedestrian getting a ticket. What's up with that?

05-19-2010, 11:31 AM   #2
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhang View Post
So aren't jaywalkers supposed to get tickets?? Why do I hear about people getting pulled over for not yielding to pedestrians when they are jaywalking?? In the end I don't see the pedestrian getting a ticket. What's up with that?

Dude...they do....
My friend got a ticket from jaywalking on Sawtelle near Blue Marlin....

usually there's a line of traffic on Sawtelle, then my friend walked across the street...then the LAPD (?) saw him then called him over and issued him a jaywalking ticket....lame!!!
      05-19-2010, 11:32 AM   #3
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

probably not high on their priority list?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 11:37 AM   #4
1013mm
aka 1013MM
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: pokingly flush

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.26]
im assuming they give the car the ticket cause they can get more money???
      05-19-2010, 12:43 PM   #5
Topless 335i
Captain
Armenia
Rep
Drives: AW E93 335i

the police officers that patrol the streets aren't really police officers. they're just glorified revenue collectors. the real cops are the detectives, swat team members, and those assigned to special task forces. patrol cops just think they're badasses. and yes, i know this has nothing to do with your OP lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 12:58 PM   #6
BaMBaM4002
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 6sp -BSM/Coral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless 335i View Post
the police officers that patrol the streets aren't really police officers. they're just glorified revenue collectors. the real cops are the detectives, swat team members, and those assigned to special task forces. patrol cops just think they're badasses. and yes, i know this has nothing to do with your OP lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 04:13 PM   #7
InS0mNiAc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335I Montego Blue

Quote:
Be sure to tell them that next time you need their "glorified" assistance.
      05-19-2010, 04:34 PM   #8
Topless 335i
Captain
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaMBaM4002 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by InS0mNiAc View Post
Be sure to tell them that next time you need their "glorified" assistance.
I recently got a ticket for doing a u-turn in a business district. There were no signs saying "no u-turn" and the lane was a single, broken yellow lane. I had no idea this was illegal but I figured the violation wasn't much of a problem because I could go to court and try to get it moved to a non-moving violation (I've never had a ticket before). When the cop came back to my car, he put his had on his nightstick and another cop came to the passenger side. They asked "Where you headed to, son?" with a stupid smirk on his face and I told them "to my dentist." He then said he "had no choice" but to write me up for impeding traffic also (it was a small side street with no other cars) because that violation goes "hand-in-hand with u-turn violations. I said that was ridiculous and he can't give both, only one or the other. Then he said that he could write up whatever he wanted, including one for "endangering a police officer" because, in his exact words: "If I came whipping around the turn, I could have hit you." The speed he wrote on my ticket was "10mph." Definitely not dangerous.

So now my record has gone to shit from one minor violation turning to three. And I'm pissed now but I wasn't talking with an attitude when I got pulled over. He just saw a young guy driving a lowered convertible BMW with aftermarket wheels and knew he could throw all kinds of tickets at me.

Last edited by Topless 335i; 05-19-2010 at 04:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 05:08 PM   #9
TheTwinz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 300Z

If they try to ticket you for jaywalking and ask for some ID.. just say you didn't bring any cuz since when do you need to have an ID to walk.. i doubt they have the right to search or frisk you without probable cause. then just give em a fictitious name and address...
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 05:12 PM   #10
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTwinz View Post
If they try to ticket you for jaywalking and ask for some ID.. just say you didn't bring any cuz since when do you need to have an ID to walk.. i doubt they have the right to search or frisk you without probable cause. then just give em a fictitious name and address...
That's what I would do lol
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 06:04 PM   #11
OlivaresAnthony
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4

Garage List
can't they look up the name you give them and see if the information you gave is true?
E90 325i|Sparkling Graphite Metallic|Steptronic|Black Leatherette/Dark Burl Interior|OEM Alarm|35%Front/5%Rear Tint|RD LED License Plate Lights|Rear Fogs Activated|Debadged|Smoked Sidemarkers|Blacklines|Depo P90v2|Matte Black Grille|BMS PBX|AFE Drop In|Charcoal Filter Delete|Air Scoops| RM Silicone Intake Hose| Magnaflow 14815| 19" Avant Garde M310|Continental DWS|M3 Lip Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 06:05 PM   #12
lookin4e90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: P car F car

Quote:
so you want to go from getting a simple jaywalking ticket to possibly be detained for obstructing justice? sure hope u were kidding
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 06:07 PM   #13
lookin4e90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: P car F car

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlivaresAnthony View Post
can't they look up the name you give them and see if the information you gave is true?
if they suspect it then they can legally detain you until they find out (which they will) your real name. then it's a little too late to say "just kidding!"
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 06:08 PM   #14
OlivaresAnthony
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookin4e90 View Post
if they suspect it then they can legally detain you until they find out (which they will) your real name. then it's a little too late to say "just kidding!"
exactly what I was thinking....then you would probably have been better off just getting the jaywalking ticket..
E90 325i|Sparkling Graphite Metallic|Steptronic|Black Leatherette/Dark Burl Interior|OEM Alarm|35%Front/5%Rear Tint|RD LED License Plate Lights|Rear Fogs Activated|Debadged|Smoked Sidemarkers|Blacklines|Depo P90v2|Matte Black Grille|BMS PBX|AFE Drop In|Charcoal Filter Delete|Air Scoops| RM Silicone Intake Hose| Magnaflow 14815| 19" Avant Garde M310|Continental DWS|M3 Lip Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 07:30 PM   #15
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
don't forget they have laptops on their patrol cars and radios to call in for more information....once they find out....you can see where you'll be going to spend the rest of the day....
      05-20-2010, 01:26 PM   #16
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsamoul View Post
probably not high on their priority list?
i agree, should be using time and resources for other crime
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 01:56 PM   #17
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

I'd call racism

I've done it before

"Just cause I'm from the middle east you're targeting me? I want to talk to you boss about this racism! We're not all terrorists! I'm a US Citizen! How dare you treat me like this. You will hear from my lawyers!"

I've done that twice

once in HS, once out of HS
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 02:31 PM   #18
Topless 335i
Captain
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
I'd call racism

I've done it before

"Just cause I'm from the middle east you're targeting me? I want to talk to you boss about this racism! We're not all terrorists! I'm a US Citizen! How dare you treat me like this. You will hear from my lawyers!"

I've done that twice

once in HS, once out of HS
lmao then he'll taze you and claim you screamed something about terrorism.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 12:55 PM   #19
InS0mNiAc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335I Montego Blue

Quote:
I recently got a ticket for doing a u-turn in a business district. There were no signs saying "no u-turn" and the lane was a single, broken yellow lane. I had no idea this was illegal but I figured the violation wasn't much of a problem because I could go to court and try to get it moved to a non-moving violation (I've never had a ticket before). When the cop came back to my car, he put his had on his nightstick and another cop came to the passenger side. They asked "Where you headed to, son?" with a stupid smirk on his face and I told them "to my dentist." He then said he "had no choice" but to write me up for impeding traffic also (it was a small side street with no other cars) because that violation goes "hand-in-hand with u-turn violations. I said that was ridiculous and he can't give both, only one or the other. Then he said that he could write up whatever he wanted, including one for "endangering a police officer" because, in his exact words: "If I came whipping around the turn, I could have hit you." The speed he wrote on my ticket was "10mph." Definitely not dangerous.

So now my record has gone to shit from one minor violation turning to three. And I'm pissed now but I wasn't talking with an attitude when I got pulled over. He just saw a young guy driving a lowered convertible BMW with aftermarket wheels and knew he could throw all kinds of tickets at me.
Sorry to hear about your troubles, stereotyping exists all over but you're first problem here is simple....you didn't know the law which clearly states no u-turns in a business district. All the crap that took place after is just that, crap...but it could have easily been avoided if you ask me.