E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BMS PBX on a 2007 328Xi Coupe 6MT (Review)

05-20-2010, 11:34 AM   #1
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335Xi Coupé

BMS PBX on a 2007 328Xi Coupe 6MT (Review)

I got this in the mail yesterday (2 business days, very quick) and immediately went to work to get it installed. The instructions help a ton and make sure to watch the JB3 Video like everyone says, it makes things a lot easier.

I think the only hiccup I had with the instructions was which wire went where. It was a little confusing for me because I had never done wiring like this before. With some playing around on the first wire I finally figured it out and cruised through the rest. The smaller black connector towards the end pissed me off because of how tight things are. I'm 6'3" and have big hands so it was definitely a royal pain. After it was all set and done though I fired up the car and had a clean healthy rev cycle and exhaust note. I bolted everything back down and went for a 10-15 mile drive.

First impressions? Unbelievable. I couldn't believe that the throttle response was so fawking fast. The car feels like a total beast off the line, through gear changes, around corners, rolling punches (60-90 made me laugh). I have a huge smile on my face right now and the ECU hasn't even adapted to the new tune yet. I doubt I'll feel the extra horses, but the throttle response alone is well worth its price in gold.

Everyone with an N/A motor needs one of these. Honestly, I couldn't see myself putting it back to map 0 for any reason whatsoever now. Fantastic product. I'd like to thank Mike from N54tuning for making this happen so quickly. Very friendly and great service. Oh yeah and BMS: You guys kick ass.
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP3 Tuned by MAC Autosport, Original Prototype Xi DOCRace 6266 Single Turbo Swap, VRSF CP w/Synapse BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Stoptech Stage 2 Slotted, xHP Stage 3, Earl's Racing Oil Cooler, Turner Boost Gauge, M3 Lip Spoiler.
Standing Mile Record Holder for Xi over a mile high: 168.2MPH @ 5512'; The Colorado Mile hosted by The US Mile.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Good stuff man, glad you got that installed. Now you can make it to Bandimere with us sometime in the near future
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 12:09 PM   #3
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by forza1976 View Post
Good stuff man, glad you got that installed. Now you can make it to Bandimere with us sometime in the near future
I'd be curious to see how much this helps my launches. Guess I'll have to come out with you guys.
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP3 Tuned by MAC Autosport, Original Prototype Xi DOCRace 6266 Single Turbo Swap, VRSF CP w/Synapse BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Stoptech Stage 2 Slotted, xHP Stage 3, Earl's Racing Oil Cooler, Turner Boost Gauge, M3 Lip Spoiler.
Standing Mile Record Holder for Xi over a mile high: 168.2MPH @ 5512'; The Colorado Mile hosted by The US Mile.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 12:10 PM   #4
richpike
Captain
Rep
Drives: MDX, LR4

Great write-up and I'm glad you are happy. Any plans to do another dyno in a few weeks after the ECU has had time to adjust?

Rich
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSwift View Post
I'd be curious to see how much this helps my launches. Guess I'll have to come out with you guys.
Yeah, for sure... It's a good time out there and if we can get everyone to get some food afterwards too. Hopefully we can try for a June 2nd day at the track, that Wednesday afternoon. I'll post up a feeler to the group.

You'll have fun with the new toy for sure!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 01:39 PM   #6
OlivaresAnthony
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4

Garage List
PBX FTW!!!
E90 325i|Sparkling Graphite Metallic|Steptronic|Black Leatherette/Dark Burl Interior|OEM Alarm|35%Front/5%Rear Tint|RD LED License Plate Lights|Rear Fogs Activated|Debadged|Smoked Sidemarkers|Blacklines|Depo P90v2|Matte Black Grille|BMS PBX|AFE Drop In|Charcoal Filter Delete|Air Scoops| RM Silicone Intake Hose| Magnaflow 14815| 19" Avant Garde M310|Continental DWS|M3 Lip Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 01:56 PM   #7
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpike View Post
Great write-up and I'm glad you are happy. Any plans to do another dyno in a few weeks after the ECU has had time to adjust?

Rich
I've been ripping on it hard for about 45-55 miles already so I'm hoping after another drive or 2 the ECU should be good to go. I wanna see how much I've gained since my initial dyno. I should be putting down 175awhp assuming the gains are right.

After working on the pins and stuff though, I'm not afraid to work on wiring on my car anymore. It definitely wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. Just a pain in the ass getting past the first wire since I had no experience.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 03:11 PM   #8
OlivaresAnthony
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4

Garage List
Quote:

After working on the pins and stuff though, I'm not afraid to work on wiring on my car anymore. It definitely wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. Just a pain in the ass getting past the first wire since I had no experience.
I really think people think its harder than it really is. Once you get started you see how simple it really is..
E90 325i|Sparkling Graphite Metallic|Steptronic|Black Leatherette/Dark Burl Interior|OEM Alarm|35%Front/5%Rear Tint|RD LED License Plate Lights|Rear Fogs Activated|Debadged|Smoked Sidemarkers|Blacklines|Depo P90v2|Matte Black Grille|BMS PBX|AFE Drop In|Charcoal Filter Delete|Air Scoops| RM Silicone Intake Hose| Magnaflow 14815| 19" Avant Garde M310|Continental DWS|M3 Lip Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 11:33 AM   #9
Bimmer This
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

I have a 328 loaner today. I'm actually surprised how good this thing moves off a light in DS mode. It feels pretty nimble and quick on its feet.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 12:28 PM   #10
JaysBlueE92
Mr. Monaco
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow..

Garage List
2007 E92  [5.00]
yeh the powerbox totally changes the driveability and fun factor for the 328
      06-17-2010, 11:35 AM   #11
djkrajzi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 328xi Alpine White

i deff need one of these for my 2007 328xi seems like everyone can feel a difference!!!

will this void my warranty? i just bought the CPO 2007 328xi
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 11:58 AM   #12
jfisher160
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkrajzi View Post
i deff need one of these for my 2007 328xi seems like everyone can feel a difference!!!

will this void my warranty? i just bought the CPO 2007 328xi
Yes it will void your warranty if the dealer finds it, But the chances of them finding it will not happen unless the dealer has a reason to go into you ECU box.

My car is under warranty, So what i planned to do it just change to Map 0 when i go in for service. They will never notice and there was another guy on the forum that just did that when he went to the dealer and he had no problems.

And if you are that worried and you have a big service on the car coming up take the BMS out.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 01:18 PM   #13
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

Glad to hear that you're enjoying the BMS Powerbox for your N54! I'm sure that you noticed an instant increase in throttle response and performance. Shoot me over a PM if you guys have any questions at all guys I do have some great deals for all you E90post members.

- Alan
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 08:21 PM   #14
hsupeijan
Private
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 328xi

Garage List
2007 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfisher160 View Post
Yes it will void your warranty if the dealer finds it, But the chances of them finding it will not happen unless the dealer has a reason to go into you ECU box.

My car is under warranty, So what i planned to do it just change to Map 0 when i go in for service. They will never notice and there was another guy on the forum that just did that when he went to the dealer and he had no problems.

And if you are that worried and you have a big service on the car coming up take the BMS out.
What kind of service will be consider as big service?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 08:39 PM   #15
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi <--- Joke
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E85, MKVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsupeijan View Post
What kind of service will be consider as big service?
Fried ECU. There is no reason for a tech to have to unscrew 8 bolts, remove the cowl, filters, lid, etc for any reason besides ECU damage. The OBDII port is where all the diagnostics/ tuning occurs.

I had my PBX for 20,000 miles and drove a extremely unreliable 328i. It was in the shop at least twice a month. Never heard a peep from a tech. I would set it to MAP 0 if I took it into service. When I sold the car I left it on Map 3...
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 10:56 PM   #16
Wake27
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i ZPP ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by **********s.com View Post
Glad to hear that you're enjoying the BMS Powerbox for your N52! I'm sure that you noticed an instant increase in throttle response and performance. Shoot me over a PM if you guys have any questions at all guys I do have some great deals for all you E90post members.

- Alan
Fixed .
2006 JB 330i/ZPP/ZSP/I-Drive/Heated Seats/L7/Blacklines/19" Gunmetal V710's on Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas/BMS PBX/Red MFD Scoops/Matte black grilles/Matte black Amber Gone 2.0s/BSW center midrange speaker/35% tint/Black and white roundels
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 08:47 PM   #17
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
I got this in the mail yesterday (2 business days, very quick) and immediately went to work to get it installed. The instructions help a ton and make sure to watch the JB3 Video like everyone says, it makes things a lot easier.

I think the only hiccup I had with the instructions was which wire went where. It was a little confusing for me because I had never done wiring like this before. With some playing around on the first wire I finally figured it out and cruised through the rest. The smaller black connector towards the end pissed me off because of how tight things are. I'm 6'3" and have big hands so it was definitely a royal pain. After it was all set and done though I fired up the car and had a clean healthy rev cycle and exhaust note. I bolted everything back down and went for a 10-15 mile drive.

First impressions? Unbelievable. I couldn't believe that the throttle response was so fawking fast. The car feels like a total beast off the line, through gear changes, around corners, rolling punches (60-90 made me laugh). I have a huge smile on my face right now and the ECU hasn't even adapted to the new tune yet. I doubt I'll feel the extra horses, but the throttle response alone is well worth its price in gold.

Everyone with an N/A motor needs one of these. Honestly, I couldn't see myself putting it back to map 0 for any reason whatsoever now. Fantastic product. I'd like to thank Mike from N54tuning for making this happen so quickly. Very friendly and great service. Oh yeah and BMS: You guys kick ass.
Thanks for the comprehensive review

Mike
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 02:23 PM   #18
chinnobi
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 sedan

MPG effect

Quote:

I know this is an older post, but I was looking into getting this as well, I understand that fuel efficiency will be effected and just wanted to get an idea of how much it affected fuel economy? Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 02:30 PM   #19
richpike
Captain
Rep
Drives: MDX, LR4

If I keep my foot out of it, I haven't seen any impact. But the throttle tip-in can be addictive, which can quickly eat gas mileage up.

-Rich
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 03:06 PM   #20
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Holy old thread. I almost forgot I made this one.

Your fuel mileage will not only be affected by your foot but also by the fact that your throttle will be a lot more sensitive. Doing long hwy trips without cruise control before the pbx would net you consistent mpg's, with it, you'll struggle to have the same mpg's.
Appreciate 0