E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > occ that recircs...no need to drain???

05-24-2010, 09:45 AM   #1
mycoupe
Banned
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe 6spd

occ that recircs...no need to drain???

I've done some searching and couldn't find what I'm looking for. So...

Does anyone know of an Oil Catch Can out there that we don't actually have to monitor and drain? You know, one that has a "return line" on the bottom that just send the passed oil back to the motor after it's filtered through the inner mesh of the can. I would love to get an OCC, but I don't really want the hassle of having to keep an eye on it and drain it myself. I know that sounds super lazy, but I'm one of those OCD people where the knowledge of it being there would have me paranoid and checking the damn thing everyday!!!

TIA, Jeff
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 09:52 AM   #2
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycoupe View Post

Does anyone know of an Oil Catch Can out there that we don't actually have to monitor and drain? You know, one that has a "return line" on the bottom that just send the passed oil back to the motor after it's filtered through the inner mesh of the can. I would love to get an OCC, but I don't really want the hassle of having to keep an eye on it and drain it myself. I know that sounds super lazy, but I'm one of those OCD people where the knowledge of it being there would have me paranoid and checking the damn thing everyday!!!

TIA, Jeff
You realize how much oil can sit in that can right? This thing is a set it and forget it item. Come back every 6 months or so. You can also get something like the BSH OCC that has a dipstick so you can easily check it.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 10:04 AM   #3
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycoupe View Post

TIA, Jeff

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of an OCC if it recirculates?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 11:18 AM   #4
mycoupe
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiVeDh View Post
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of an OCC if it recirculates?
Nope, don't think so. Cuz it just condenses the vapor back into liquid through the mesh inside and then you pour it back into the engine later, right? Or are you supposed to discard the oil in the occ?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 11:48 AM   #5
Sparky66
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 Coupe. Jet Black.

You mean something like the Crawford Performance Air Oil Separator(popular in the WRX community but mighty expensive) or the Mann Hummel Provent 200 (requires filter clean or replacement every couple of years). They both return the oil to the sump.
Personally I think they would be the ideal setup but where do you pickup a line or opening that returns to the sump?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 12:21 PM   #6
mycoupe
Banned
Rep

weld a bung to the pan like a dry sump set up??? No idea.
Appreciate 0