XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

05-25-2010, 03:48 AM   #1
happygirl
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Car

Connecting an iPod

My X1 was finally delivered to me yesterday and I was playing with her this afternoon and I tried to connect my iPod into the USB connection, however, my iPod cannot be detected.

Does anyone else have this problem? I read in the manual that the there is a special cord for it to connect, does anyone know what this cord is? Is it just the normal USB cord that you use to connect the iPod to a computer or is it BMW specific one?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 04:20 AM   #2
wyresoft
--X1--
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E84 X1 sDrive 2.0

Hi there,

I might be wrong but when I looked for this on the BMW site, it looks like the USB cable is the 'power' side to power your iPod - and then there's a 3.5mm jack that plugs into the socket next to it for the audio - You still need to 'play' everything from the iPod mind you.

Then again, apparently you can plug a memory stick in with MP3's on - so that sort of says otherwise........

Whatever, there is a BMW lead in the accessories catalogue - ?
      05-25-2010, 04:26 AM   #3
happygirl
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks!

I have the Nat Sav Business fitted into my car as well, so I would have thought that the playlist would be displayed on the screen and it is hooked up to the iDrive and system.

Will try again with the Aux input tonight!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 05:12 AM   #4
Nash
Rep
Drives: X1 xdrive 2.0d

There is a special cord - that plugs into two points and then into your Ipod. I think the sales guy said it costs $169 and you can only buy it from BMW... not apple etc. Your Ipod menu appears on screen and you can select songs/albums artists etc without touching ipod.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 03:20 PM   #5
Dark-Sider
X1 driver
Germany
Rep
Drives: X1 1.8d sDrive

Hey,

the special BMW iPod cord is like ~50€ over here in Europe/Germany. So it should be more like 75 Australian Dollars in down under.

bye
Darky
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 04:36 PM   #6
niknik
Private First Class
Portugal
Rep
Drives: X1 23d

With the special cable you should be able to see the music info and control your iPod via the car controls.

However, I also find it confusing.
There's a USB port on the glove compartment, which would make much more sense to plug in an iPod.
However, it seems the iPod is to be connected to the visible USB port and Aux In with that awful lookgin cable adaptor.

(I wonder how things will get if you choose the snap-in phone adaptor... does it uses still an extra USB port?)

I have yet to try any of the mp3/usb/ipod stuff... haven't had much time lately.
And as for the snap-in adapter, as I'm planning on replacing my iPhone 3GS with the new model as soon as it comes out, I prefer to wait until then and hope BMW launches a snap-in adapter quickly.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 06:44 PM   #7
Dark-Sider
X1 driver
Germany
Rep

Hello,

yes the usb-port in the glove compartment would be so cool if it was usable for usb-audio playback. Unfortunately AFAIK you can't even close the lid while a device is plugged in, because of the glove compartments inner walls...

In other BMW models the USB-Audio port is in the box under the fron arm rest.

The glove compartment USB-Port can only be used to copy music on your Professional Sat Nav system's hard disk or to do a map update on your business sat-nav.

bye
Darky
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 10:12 PM   #8
Nash
Rep
Drives: X1 xdrive 2.0d

Hi Darky,

I wish you were right but anything to do with BMW in Australia costs double what it does in the US and it seems, also, in Germany. You're lucky, we pay through the nose here!

Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Sider View Post
Hey,

the special BMW iPod cord is like ~50€ over here in Europe/Germany. So it should be more like 75 Australian Dollars in down under.

bye
Darky
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 04:18 AM   #9
happygirl
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks so much for the info... I might have to pop into the BMW service this weekend to get the cord!

Actually, I wonder if it will cheaper for me to get it overseas and shipped over??? Does anyone know what this special cord is called???
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 04:15 AM   #10
Dark-Sider
X1 driver
Germany
Rep

Hey,

the BMW part Number is: 61120440796
I also found a Forum Member who sells them - I don't know if he ships them to AUS http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=385770
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 09:43 PM   #11
yohans
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20d

Hi new user here.

Been lurking here for a week just got my white X1 xDrive20d this week. Purchased from floor stock so options not optimised but thats ok. I'm happy with what I got.

I have connected my iPod Classic w/o any issues simply using the regular iPod usb cable (white Apple one) connected to the usb port by the gear lever.

It took a really long time to work the first time. I think it was copying the music tracks over to the iDrive. Bit since then it works well thru the iDrive.

You can search by genre, artist, album, track, etc. Only playlists from the ipod are missing.

You can also control the playback from the steering wheel.

Hope this helps/

The only question/issue I have is that the iPod seems to be powered on all the time with the "Do Not Disconnect" message even when the option on the iDrive is switched off.

Can anyone help with this?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 01:50 AM   #12
frayedsheet
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 Jeep GC Overland

Quote:
Originally Posted by yohans View Post
Hi new user here.

Been lurking here for a week just got my white X1 xDrive20d this week. Purchased from floor stock so options not optimised but thats ok. I'm happy with what I got.

I have connected my iPod Classic w/o any issues simply using the regular iPod usb cable (white Apple one) connected to the usb port by the gear lever.

It took a really long time to work the first time. I think it was copying the music tracks over to the iDrive. Bit since then it works well thru the iDrive.

You can search by genre, artist, album, track, etc. Only playlists from the ipod are missing.

You can also control the playback from the steering wheel.

Hope this helps/

The only question/issue I have is that the iPod seems to be powered on all the time with the "Do Not Disconnect" message even when the option on the iDrive is switched off.

Can anyone help with this?
professional or business nav?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 04:13 AM   #13
Dark-Sider
X1 driver
Germany
Rep

Hi,

when you plug you iPod into your Computer it also gets mounted as a removeable USB-Drive. You can copy some documents onto your iPod and carry them to your friends - as you would do with a normal usb stick.

When you look at the folder structure on your iPod, you'll notice some crazy filenames, wich actually are your mp3s. The filenmaes get scrambled by iTunes, but the meta-information (id3 Tags etc) is preserved within the mp3-file.

When you plug your iPod now to the USB-Connector in your BMW, it's like connecting a USB-Stick or 1,8" Harddrive. The CIC (Navsystem Computer) indexes the contents and saves the meta(!) information on a special partition on your CIC's Harddrive (as it would do with an USB-Stick).

To really copy the music onto the CIC you need to connect the USB-Device to the Port in the glove compartment.

So when you connect your iPod (FAT-Filesystem must be used on the iPod) to the front-USB-Port with the default apple cable you _only_ get the music. The Apple-Folder-Structure, like Audio-Books, Podcasts [...] is not preserved. For the real deal I strongly adivse the usage of the BMW-iPod-y-calbe.

From September onwards, BMW will install a new device into it's cars. It's called the "Combox" this unit has added office-functionality (appointments, e-mails etc. from your PDA-Phone) and more multimedia features (displays album covers on the nav-screen if embedded in the id3-tag). The combox also uses the standard appla-usb-cable to fully integrate the iPod. But again, this device will only be installed from September 2010 onwards!

bye
Darky
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2010, 06:36 AM   #14
niknik
Private First Class
Portugal
Rep
Drives: X1 23d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Sider View Post
Hi,
From September onwards, BMW will install a new device into it's cars. It's called the "Combox" this unit has added office-functionality (appointments, e-mails etc. from your PDA-Phone) and more multimedia features (displays album covers on the nav-screen if embedded in the id3-tag). The combox also uses the standard appla-usb-cable to fully integrate the iPod.
So, that means it will be installable into our current X1's?
(I don't mind waiting a few more months...

And thanks for the explanations between the USB ports, one for "copying", the other for "music access"...

Now I'm just wondering how they make the connections in case of the plugin connector under the armrest. (I don't want to have the iPod USB Y Cable visible...)
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2010, 04:25 PM   #15
Dark-Sider
X1 driver
Germany
Rep

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by niknik View Post
So, that means it will be installable into our current X1's?
(I don't mind waiting a few more months...
AFAIK the Combox is not retrofittable. It replaces both, the Audio-USB and the Bluetooth-Module.

Perhaps some of the new features can be added via a firmware update. Who knows.

Quote:
Now I'm just wondering how they make the connections in case of the plugin connector under the armrest. (I don't want to have the iPod USB Y Cable visible...)
When you got the iPhone Snap-In Adapter with USB-Audio support, the y-cable is built into the adapter itself. So you do not need a Y-Cable if you got an iPhone and the Snap-in with USB support (connecting the mobile phone's audio player).

bye
Darky
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2010, 01:49 AM   #16
yohans
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedsheet View Post
professional or business nav?
Business Navigation,

Now I've tried the Y cable at a dealer and it provides no additional capability to what I already have that I can tell.

With the Y cable audio is fed to the car through the 3mm plug and power and iPod control is through the usb plug. I had a Y cable connected for 5 minutes and I only had music, no podcasts.

The difference I did notice was that the iPod was not displaying the "Do not Disconnect" message and was instead showing a big tick symbol with text - this device can now be disconnected or something similar.

Is this significant and worth spending money on. The cable in Aus is $169

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 10:29 PM   #17
happygirl
Enlisted Member
Rep

I just found this on ebay... is this the right cable?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...:X:RTQ:GB:1123
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 02:24 AM   #18
Dark-Sider
X1 driver
Germany
Rep

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygirl View Post
I just found this on ebay... is this the right cable?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...:X:RTQ:GB:1123
yes, this is the right cable - I think you can save a few bucks when ordering it from the UK

bye
Darky
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 03:01 PM   #19
e85sbm
Snow Wizard
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 & E89

Does anyone know if BMW has fixed the issue with newer ipods and iphones?

It seems that there was a switch of the charging pin by Apple and the connector to your car does not charge the ipod / iphone
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 07:51 PM   #20
happygirl
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks Darky

Cable bought!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 07:35 PM   #21
gundie2
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 23d

Hi Happygirl,

I'm wondering if the usb cable you bought allows your to charge the iphone?
and have you opted for the 06NF Extended connectivity of the music player to mobile phone.

Last edited by gundie2; 06-03-2010 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: wrong item
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 02:35 AM   #22
Dark-Sider
X1 driver
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundie2 View Post

I'm wondering if the usb cable you bought allows your to charge the iphone?
and have you opted for the 06NF Extended connectivity of the music player to mobile phone.
Quote:
My X1 was finally delivered to me yesterday and I was playing with her this afternoon and I tried to connect my iPod into the USB connection, however, my iPod cannot be detected.
I think happygirl does not have an iPhone but an iPod. I don't know if the the BMW cable charges the latest apple-devices, but since the CIC behaves more likely like a computer than a wall-mounted usb-charger it might be possible that it also charges the iPhone.

The iPhone Snap-In-Adapter with Extended USB-Connectivity for the 06NF charges the iPhone. AFAIK there are two adapters - one for the 3gs and one for the 3g.

bye
Darky
Appreciate 0