E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Body Shop - NEED WORK (So Cal)

05-26-2010, 11:55 AM   #1
1Tym
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Body Shop - NEED WORK (So Cal)

1) A friend backed up into my front bumper. There are minor scratches through the paint. I took it to a certified BMW collision/paint shop and they quoted me about $1,300 and said the entire bumper would have to be replaced. So, I am looking for a body shop in the So Cal area that can do a good job but at a lower cost.

2) I was washing my car the other day and noticed a lugnut was missing so I went to the dealer to pick up a lugnut. When I went to screw it in, it would not tighten. I took it back to the dealer and the guy told me that the part on the car (not the rim) was stripped and said it would be about $1,000 to fix. Will tire shops be able to fix this? Any local shops other than the dealer that can fix this for a lower cost?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 12:02 PM   #2
DetailAddict
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i

1) good job and low cost don't go together... unfortunately...

2) are u on OEM lug or did u do a stud conversion? maybe talk to Long Tran and see what he can do to help?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 12:45 PM   #3
1Tym
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailAddict View Post
1) good job and low cost don't go together... unfortunately...

2) are u on OEM lug or did u do a stud conversion? maybe talk to Long Tran and see what he can do to help?
1) something decent and low or LOWER

2) OEM lug
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 01:15 PM   #4
DetailAddict
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i

unfortunately I am from norcal so no good socal recommendation for you..

did the dealership writeup and estimate for you on what needs to be done to get it fixed?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 03:09 PM   #5
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Tym View Post
1) A friend backed up into my front bumper. There are minor scratches through the paint. I took it to a certified BMW collision/paint shop and they quoted me about $1,300 and said the entire bumper would have to be replaced. So, I am looking for a body shop in the So Cal area that can do a good job but at a lower cost.

2) I was washing my car the other day and noticed a lugnut was missing so I went to the dealer to pick up a lugnut. When I went to screw it in, it would not tighten. I took it back to the dealer and the guy told me that the part on the car (not the rim) was stripped and said it would be about $1,000 to fix. Will tire shops be able to fix this? Any local shops other than the dealer that can fix this for a lower cost?

seems like the dealer is trying to rip you off. if the thread is stripped, you can probably just have it retapped. Contact Long (LTBMW) and he should be able to help you out.

As far as the bumper, I don't see why they would have to replace the entire bumper. Maybe post up some pictures so people can give you a better idea of how much it'd cost. Again I'd call up Long and see if he can help you out on that as well
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 03:15 PM   #6
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

Get a tap and die and DIY to rethread.
      05-26-2010, 07:27 PM   #7
1Tym
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joonsup View Post
seems like the dealer is trying to rip you off. if the thread is stripped, you can probably just have it retapped. Contact Long (LTBMW) and he should be able to help you out.

As far as the bumper, I don't see why they would have to replace the entire bumper. Maybe post up some pictures so people can give you a better idea of how much it'd cost. Again I'd call up Long and see if he can help you out on that as well
Actually my dad took the car to the dealer regarding the lug nut. I have not gotten an actual quote from the dealer.

As far as the bumper, the guy told me it went through to the lumbar and bent it is why they would have to replace the whole thing?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 01:56 PM   #8
1Tym
Private
Rep

Quote:
Since this incident, i have had more scracthes and dents in my front bumper. I need a decent body shop that is not too expensive. The dealer ceritfied shops are too expensive, even though they do good work. Any recommendations?

Quote:
My neighbor was able to re-thread it for me. Took like 5 minutes. Phew!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 03:42 PM   #9
armorrig
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Tamiya

what they said...LTBMW