E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > BMW BBK - Pad Change - What's Available

05-28-2010, 08:45 AM   #1
Mark II
The Grim Reapers Love Child
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M-Sport Coupe

BMW BBK - Pad Change - What's Available (Update)

Hi Guys,

Hope you can help..... NEWS - SEE UPDATE POST BELOW

I was an early adopter of the BMW BBK but last years health probs mean't the car wasn't used much at all however, now I'm driving again the amount of dust & metal sinters coming off the pads is driving me nuts.

I've done a search and I know that the choice of alternative pads is very limited, which is why I was wondering what other BBK users have done?

For instance, does anyone know if there is an EBC Redstuff pads fitment for the front & rear of the BMW BBK? Or is there something else I should look at that will offer good stopping power (road use only), work well from cold, not be noisy and produce less dust??

Trackdays are still off the menu for the foreseeable future (whilst my bionic spine continues to settle) so I'd just be happy with a set of pads that don't require the wheels to be cleaned every 5 mins

Any help gratefully received.

Mark

Previous: e92 M-Sport. TiAg. Black Dakota. Creamy 6cyl diesel. Stage II Tune. Performance exhaust. K&N. Auto+paddles. Quaife LSD. BMW BBK+Cool Carbon S/T. Goodridge. 19" Breyton Race GTS. Vredesteins. M3 lip. Prof nav. Xenons. Voice. Sun protection. Pdc. etc..

Last edited by Mark II; 06-28-2010 at 02:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 09:30 AM   #2
wrighty
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

I went on ebay and bought some 135 pads for mine for about £40, better than 160 from the dealers. Think they were Ferrodo they seem ok but would like more choice if any one has any ideas. I did post when I needed some but no one came forward with any alternatives.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 09:41 AM   #3
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

I believe that Ferodo are releasing, or have just released, the DS2500 pad formulation for a 135i fitment (the same as the BMW BBK fitment). This is an excellent fast road pad that isn't too dusty either.

Alternatively, search out a company called Cool Carbon. A couple of the forum guys here use the fast road pad from this company, and I drove a 335i at the 'Ring with such pad installed and they were very impressive for a road pad.

http://www.coolcarbonperformance.com/

EDIT - I've found the pad for you from Cool Carbon. It's the D1371 and D1372 pads (front and rear respectively) that you're after. They are currently only available from retailers in the States, although shipping across is very easy.

The PDF attached here shows the fitment chart for late model BMWs

3_20_09_BMW_Late_Apps.pdf

PS... It's GREAT to see you back on here, bionic spine and all !!!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
ibanezking
Weekend Rockstar
England
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Just ordered some EBC Redstuff pads Front, for my 335d - will be here Monday.........

Max
      05-28-2010, 01:00 PM   #5
Mark II
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrighty View Post
I went on ebay and bought some 135 pads for mine for about £40, better than 160 from the dealers. Think they were Ferrodo they seem ok but would like more choice if any one has any ideas. I did post when I needed some but no one came forward with any alternatives.
Hi Steve, hopefully this will answer your question too then

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
......EDIT - I've found the pad for you from Cool Carbon. It's the D1371 and D1372 pads (front and rear respectively) that you're after. They are currently only available from retailers in the States, although shipping across is very easy.

The PDF attached here shows the fitment chart for late model BMWs

Attachment 391185

PS... It's GREAT to see you back on here, bionic spine and all !!!
Thanks for the help Tony - the Cool carbon S/T sounds perfect

Thanks mate, it's GREAT to be back!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezking View Post
Just ordered some EBC Redstuff pads Front, for my 335d - will be here Monday.........

Max
Thanks Max - think I'm gonna go with the Cool carbon ones but would still be interested to know what you think of the new Redstuff formula.

Cheers guys

Previous: e92 M-Sport. TiAg. Black Dakota. Creamy 6cyl diesel. Stage II Tune. Performance exhaust. K&N. Auto+paddles. Quaife LSD. BMW BBK+Cool Carbon S/T. Goodridge. 19" Breyton Race GTS. Vredesteins. M3 lip. Prof nav. Xenons. Voice. Sun protection. Pdc. etc..

Last edited by Mark II; 05-28-2010 at 01:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 01:56 PM   #6
ibanezking
Weekend Rockstar
England
Rep

No problem

I'll post up and let people know once they've been fitted a while........
      06-28-2010, 02:12 AM   #7
Mark II
United Kingdom
Rep

UPDATE

I went with the Cool Carbon S/T pads (thanks Tony) - got them from EAS in California - http://www.europeanautosource.com/index.php. Service was good and delivery by UPS was about 5 days (though the internal packaging broke in transit and chipped the edge off one of the rear pads) - the set came to about £275 + VAT (which you pay to UPS).

Advice/Review:

When fitting them, make sure you apply a suitable caliper grease to prevent squeal - I used the Permatex high temp ceramic grease, which you can buy in the UK from Passion Auto http://www.passionauto.co.uk/miscell...t-per24125.php

Also, make sure you bed them in well - I did an accelerated bedding in with two sets of 15 stops , 70'ish mph to 20mph, allowing enough time to cool the discs between stops and never coming to a complete halt.

The Cool Carbon pads are much better than the OEM, they take a little bit of time to warm up and I think occasional re-bedding will be necessary for road use but they offer good bite and thankfully little dust compared to the OEM Textars.

HTH

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 02:23 AM   #8
ibanezking
Weekend Rockstar
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezking View Post
No problem

I'll post up and let people know once they've been fitted a while........
VERY Good............... Superb stopping power

Tested them out on Saturday on the E90 Northern Meet - plenty of backroads and even more blind bends with 2-a-breast cyclists thinking because they don't pay any road tax, they own the road.........

Made my eyeballs think they were popping out my sockets on one particular maneuvre..............

Max