E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Question: Buying from Forum Members??

05-30-2010, 12:37 PM   #1
Coupe335
Registered
Rep
Drives: e92

Question: Buying from Forum Members??

If someone is new to the forums and has posted something up for sale, like wheels, or parts, that is in another state.

1) What is the best way to make this transaction happen?

2) How do I pay him and ENSURE I don't get screwed?

3) There is no iTrader information or seller ratings of any kind. So, how do I know he is legit?

4) He wants CASH, so do I send a check, 0r a bank transfer? He does not have pay pal.

5) Should I require some kind of written agreement?

6) How many of you just simply buy and trade with people out of state simply based on the HONOR SYSTEM?

I'm new to this, so I appreciate your help and response.

Thanks!

Last edited by Coupe335; 05-30-2010 at 01:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2010, 12:38 PM   #2
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

i wouldnt do it, a troll is a troll
      05-30-2010, 01:06 PM   #3
WWONG
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupe335 View Post
If someone is new to the forums and has posted something up for sale that is in another state or country.

1) What is the best way to make this transaction happen?

2) How do I pay him and ENSURE I don't get screwed?

3) There is no iTrader information or seller ratings of any kind. So, how do I know he is legit?

4) Do I send a check, bank transfer? He does not have pay pal.

5) Should I require some kind of written agreement?

6) How many of you just simply buy and trade with people out of state simply based on the HONOR SYSTEM?

I'm new to this, so I appreciate your help and response.

Thanks!
Try using PayPal. If they don't send you anything, you could dispute through them or even through your credit card company. Now if you're talking about buying something big like a BMW, that's when you use escrow.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
curlysue
MURDA_M
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGE90

You probably shouldn't buy something if he has no itrader, few posts and is out of the country. It's a little too risky. Use paypal for most of your transactions, they offer a wide variety of tools that help protect the seller and the buyer. Also, check with your credit card company to see how they can assist you with recovering money after a bad transaction. Lastly, use your common sense! Look for clues which will fish out a crook. Buying something from a member on these forums should be easy, but it can get ugly.

Luckily, I've never had a problem with any member transactions, nor vendors.
      05-30-2010, 01:17 PM   #5
Coupe335
Registered
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlysue View Post
You probably shouldn't buy something if he has no itrader, few posts and is out of the country. It's a little too risky. Use paypal for most of your transactions, they offer a wide variety of tools that help protect the seller and the buyer. Also, check with your credit card company to see how they can assist you with recovering money after a bad transaction. Lastly, use your common sense! Look for clues which will fish out a crook. Buying something from a member on these forums should be easy, but it can get ugly.

Luckily, I've never had a problem with any member transactions, nor vendors.
He actually wants cash as payment. So I dont think my credit card company is going to be able to help me in this instance. But thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2010, 01:19 PM   #6
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i, 2020 430i

If in same country, fly down meet the current owner, take a test drive, get some real information about the person whom you will be dealing with.

Then move forward. I would not finalize things on the internet or so. It is good to trust people but it is better to be safe than sorry. Exercise Caution and be judicious with your money. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2010, 02:01 PM   #7
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Educate yourself before doing anything like this. You are totally in the dark...
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2010, 02:10 PM   #8
mycoupe
Banned
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe 6spd

no paypal, no purchase!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2010, 02:54 PM   #9
gun6slinger9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 428xi

If they are serious sellers they would not expect you to mail them cash. Cash only raises flags already. Based on your eagerness I would assume that you are getting a "good" deal. If you really feel the need to go through with this i would do half now half on receiving the item, just so you dont lose too much.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2010, 02:56 PM   #10
Marcus-SanDiego
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 X5 4.8i (E70)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycoupe View Post
no paypal, no purchase!
I'm not doing a large cash deal without doing the transaction in person.

Additionally, if someone won't let you do a Paypal transaction (where you pay the fees, too), that's a red flag.

Under no circumstances will I do a cash deal with an international seller.

I'm reluctant to buy anything from a seller who hasn't been around the forum for some time.

Always trust your gut. There will always be another deal.
      05-30-2010, 03:13 PM   #11
MaxBoost335
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3 DCT ZCP

DON'T DO IT, cash only almost always gets you screwed and you have no recourse. If a seller really wants to sell something, he/she would at least have a verified paypal account. Like others said, unless you can go pick up in person, don't do cash.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2010, 08:14 PM   #12
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Always but the seller, not the product. What kind of reputation does he (she?) have on the board?

The "I'll only take cash" certainly sounds like a dealbreaker. How does he expect you to send him the cash - in a plain brown envelope? As a buyer, I wouldn't even want cash - I'd want paypal to assure that I actually get the funds - and I'd be smart enough to price my items to assure that the paypal fees are covered.

I'd pass unless this poster has a stellar reputation on this board.
Appreciate 0