E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Can't open trunk/boot, help?

05-31-2010, 05:46 AM   #1
oca123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: db9, e92

Can't open trunk/boot, help?

Hello there,

Out of nowhere, the trunk of my E92 would not open using the fob. When I try to use the remote, I hear a noise, but nothing happens. My car does not have a glovebox switch or a driver'side release button. It does however have a key you can pull out of the fob to open the trunk manually.

I tried opening the trunk with said key, while sitting on the trunk, while pushing it up, wiggling it, etc.

The key will turn 1/8 (maybe 1/4) of a turn clock-wise. If I hold the key in the most clock-wise position, and press the trunk release button on the fob, the key will most a little further clock-wise. However, i read that to open the trunk you need to turn the key counter clock-wise, which I cannot do. I tried to hold the key with pliers and turn it counter clock-wise since I read somewhere that you needed to put a bit of strenght into it to get the key to move.... i think something went wrong there, because I may have forced a little too much and the key eventually turned... it is bent a little but regardless, the trunk did not open and the lock is now back to its original position.

What gives? Warranty expired on Friday, problem occured on Saturday.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2010, 08:27 AM   #2
Marcus-SanDiego
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 X5 4.8i (E70)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oca123 View Post
Hello there,

Out of nowhere, the trunk of my E92 would not open using the fob. When I try to use the remote, I hear a noise, but nothing happens.
Sounds like a bad actuator.
      05-31-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
BKV122
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 330xi  [9.50]
CHeck the glove box and make sure the trunk lock switch is on the ON/unlock position