2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums F10 Pricing, Ordering, and Tracking (and European Delivery) Please give advice for first time buyer

06-02-2010, 01:38 PM   #1
CarBrain
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mercedes GL 450

Please give advice for first time buyer

Hello folks,

I am new at this forum. I am also new at buying BMW. I have owned Mercedez and Lexus in the past but have never bought a BMW before. As I was growing up... BMW was an acronym for Big Money Waster in my family.

But that has changed. After my wife and I debate over if we should get the 2010 Mercedez E350 or the BMW, I am now leaning heavily over to the 2011 535i or the 550i (more toward the 535i) .

Anyway, I have been reading many post on this forum and still not sure how to best approach on buying the 5 series at the best deal.

Can the BMW gurus in here give me some good advice on how to purchase this car with the best price?

I just downloaded the "Confidential Wholesale Price" pdf file here that was posted by a member here.
What should my best next step?

Oh, I did also read about the European Delivery option but not sure the best way to approach it. Is it worth it to go through the process?

So many things I don't know yet. Please give me some advice. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 02:06 PM   #2
BMW-GT
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 5.0i

My 2 cents

From the cars you have driven, if you decide to go with the BMW, the 535i should be fine. Traditionally, Lexus has given the most comfortable ride in terms of not feeling the road, Mercedes was in the middle, and BMW gives the most sporty ride. The dynamic handling package can make the ride pretty near a Mercedes/Lexus like ride in the comfort mode.

I think most people are getting any where from $1500-2000 over invoice presently as the best price (simply total the base price plus the options to get total invoice). You’ll probably get a better deal on the Mercedes since it’s been out for a year.

European delivery seems nice but from the post, you wind up paying about the same if you include the costs of the trip(but you do get a free vacation)

I'll be interested in what others have to say.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 03:32 PM   #3
CarBrain
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks BMW-GT.

I guess I will scratch out the European delivery option because we don't have time to travel to Europe because we already have plans to travel to other places with our kids.

Oh, I also forgot to mention that this car will be for my wife. If it was for me, I would probably lean more toward the 550i.

Although it is for my wife, I would be driving it when we are driving together. Therefore, I would love to have performance driving option as well. I also love luxury/comfort driving so it will be more of a 50/50 of comfort and performance.

We would like to have Navigation and keyless options because we use those the most with our Mercedez GL450. I am still debating what we should get for drive performance option.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 03:49 PM   #4
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
Sounds like you should get the Premium and Premium 2 packages at least. If you don't get the Sport Package, I'd recommend the Multi-Contour seats at least. They are mighty comfy. You can get Comfort Access (keyless) standalone or just get the Driver Assistance Package. The Handling packages (ZSP, ZDH, IAS) would add a lot of cost. So you'll have to pay to play there.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 03:50 PM   #5
BMW-GT
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 5.0i

I would definitely get the dynamic handling package. I drove a standard 535i without the package and the drive felt numb.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 05:08 PM   #6
CarBrain
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I have never do a built-a-car before. I tried to do this at the bmw website and this is what I like to have.

O.K. so the price that I see is $66,400.

So do I go through with this order online or do I print out this specification and just go to my BMW dealer in San Diego, CA and ask the sale person to order it?

Since I am buying a 2011 model, am I expected to pay FULL price (MRSP) since the demand for this car is high?

Edit: Ooopss, I just realize that it would cost $68,695 if I add in the extended warranty. I think that 100,000 miles would be safer since I heard that BMW often have mechanical problems (especially with 1st generation motor change). Of course it could just be misconception on my part.

My wife just like to pay in full because she hates to owe anybody and hates interest rates. So she would be keeping the car for a long time.

Last edited by CarBrain; 06-02-2010 at 05:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 05:21 PM   #7
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

Glad you chose the 5er over the E-Class

Few suggestions:
- Switch from the Automatic transmission to the Sport automatic transmission. From what I've read (you can search around the forum), definitely worth it for $500. Seems like you want the best of worlds, and in terms of the performance, the sport auto will give you that. The shifter on the sport transmission looks nicer too, and you might like the added paddles.
- You might want to consider the split folding rear seats as well for $500... Unless you are using the GL for loading things and would never need a larger trunk in the 5.

As for ordering, based on what I've read, you don't need to be paying full MSRP. You should be able to get $1500 - $2000 as BMW GT mentioned. You can write up an offer with exactly what you want and email it to local dealerships, especially those with an internet sales section. Also do a search on the forums for something along the lines of "Ordering from your chair" or something like that. Not everything there will work in this scenario since you're ordering a car that just came out, but it'll help.

Good luck! And keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 05:56 PM   #8
ibimmer954
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarBrain View Post
I have never do a built-a-car before. I tried to do this at the bmw website and this is what I like to have.

So do I go through with this order online or do I print out this specification and just go to my BMW dealer in San Diego, CA and ask the sale person to order it?
Yeah, just print it out and go to a dealer. That's what I did. The salesguy will enter it into the computer and give you a print out and ask you to verify it. They'll probably ask for a small deposit. It took 7-8 weeks after my car went into production to get it delivered to the dealer. Then it's a matter of waiting.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 07:21 PM   #9
CarBrain
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-GT View Post
I think most people are getting any where from $1500-2000 over invoice presently as the best price (simply total the base price plus the options to get total invoice). You’ll probably get a better deal on the Mercedes since it’s been out for a year.
Hearing $1500-$2000 over invoice is bad news for me. Since it will be her car, buying a car at invoice price is already bad enough since she has always bought cars below invoice price. Telling her that she has to buy it over invoice price may deter her into going back to consider buying a 2010 Mercedez E350 instead.

Yikes!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 07:27 PM   #10
tim-atl
N00B
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 35d + 2011 528i

Since this is a brand new model you probably won't get invoice. If you can wait a few months, you may get a better deal in the fall.

Tim
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 07:49 PM   #11
joberon
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92

Imo, if you are price sensitive then I would consider a different configuration (separate out the must haves from the nice to haves) to get the cost down. If this is about the principle of paying a certain dollar figure above/below invoice, I suggest going for a base 7 series (since you are almost at that price point), or just wait a few months.

Personally I would never buy a MB but that’s just me

Driving: 11 F10 528i
Memorium:07 E92 328i, 04 E46 325ci, 87 E30 325e, 76 E6 2002ti
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 12:06 PM   #12
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

Driving a MB is likened to a Novocaine shot to the brain. I would pay over MSRP for a BMW before I would buy under invoice for an MB. Kick your wife out of the drivers seat and buy a real driving machine! Then tell her to buckle in and hold on to her (fill in the blank with a word of your choice) and let that 535 open up.

Last edited by delvek; 06-04-2010 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: changed strap to buckle (didnt want to offend)
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 04:15 PM   #13
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i, 2020 430i

Quote:

O.K. so the price that I see is $66,400.

Since I am buying a 2011 model, am I expected to pay FULL price (MRSP) since the demand for this car is high?

Edit: Ooopss, I just realize that it would cost $68,695 if I add in the extended warranty. I think that 100,000 miles would be safer since I heard that BMW often have mechanical problems (especially with 1st generation motor change). Of course it could just be misconception on my part.

My wife just like to pay in full because she hates to owe anybody and hates interest rates. So she would be keeping the car for a long time.

This is what I would say!

1. Do all your homework to find out what Engine, packages/options you need (and/or want) in BOTH the 2010 MB E Class and the 2011 BMW 5 series.

2. Go take a test drives with both cars (trying getting ones that resemble most closely in options and packages, add to the mix SAME interior color, as it will change how you feel when you come out of the car). Search nearest dealerships, if they dont have what you want, spare some time, take a 50-100 mile trip or so.

3. Interior color is important part of perception and fair comparison as your wife would be more sensitive to those things and a complete experience would make it an easy decision. I would prefer in that case to have a car with same beige interior as you want, or if not possible, at lease sit in it and get the feel of it (for both MB and BMW)

Money does not look like a big consideration for you guys, so once you have a gut feeling about what you want to BUY, you would mostly be able to decide which way to go even if it means a couple of $1000 bucks more. You are keeping the car for a long time as you said, get what you want!

4. I recommend both you and your wife test drive the car together, ask dealerships to not accompany you, if they can stay away. Do a good evaluation of both cars, or whatever engines, 535i or 550i (and respective variants of Mercedes Benz). Do the test drives back to back if possible.

5. If at all needed, perhaps still give yourself about a couple of days to make a decision, before you go order your car (whichever it turns out to be).

I read about a guy who was deciding between an AUDI A8 and the new 7 Series, and how he and his wife were about to pull the trigger on the Audi but decided to test drive a 7 series as well. Decided otherwise, and ordered 7 series (not saying, go for a BMW, just give yourself a fair chance to evaluate everything in the market).

Also, with cash down purchase, dealer might be able to make the deal sweeter for you.

I hope nobody said pay $1500 - $2000 over MSRP.
$1500 - $2000 Above Invoice (Invoice is significantly less than MSRP) pricing should be a good deal.

Good luck deciding and test driving the wheels of those big sedans!

Last edited by bavarianboar; 06-03-2010 at 04:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 10:51 PM   #14
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 SG/AB

Quote:
Hearing $1500-$2000 over invoice is bad news for me. Since it will be her car, buying a car at invoice price is already bad enough since she has always bought cars below invoice price. Telling her that she has to buy it over invoice price may deter her into going back to consider buying a 2010 Mercedez E350 instead.

Yikes!!!
Just to be sure its clear, it seems you may have misunderstood.

By invoice price, it is meant "dealer cost" not sticker price. $2000 over invoice is a great deal, and would be somewhere around $3000-$5000 below the "sticker price", or MSRP which is what the BMW site gives as price quotes.

The wholesale price list you downloaded from this site is the cost the dealer is paying for the car, and if you pick all your options and add them up you will be way below the 68,695 listed on the BMW site.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 12:48 AM   #15
CarBrain
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Question for you guys who are from the USA.

It seems that you guys ordered the 5 series car without even getting a chance to test drive it. Wouldn't you want to test drive a car before you buy since it is a fairly expensive car.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 12:53 AM   #16
CarBrain
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianboar View Post

Also, with cash down purchase, dealer might be able to make the deal sweeter for you.

I hope nobody said pay $1500 - $2000 over MSRP.
$1500 - $2000 Above Invoice (Invoice is significantly less than MSRP) pricing should be a good deal.

Good luck deciding and test driving the wheels of those big sedans!
My wife would probably just want to pay in full. That is what we did with our Mercedez GL 450. I don't know if we would get a better deal or not. I assume that the dealer would not want for you to pay in full since they don't get more money from the interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachBmmr View Post
Just to be sure its clear, it seems you may have misunderstood.

By invoice price, it is meant "dealer cost" not sticker price. $2000 over invoice is a great deal, and would be somewhere around $3000-$5000 below the "sticker price", or MSRP which is what the BMW site gives as price quotes.

The wholesale price list you downloaded from this site is the cost the dealer is paying for the car, and if you pick all your options and add them up you will be way below the 68,695 listed on the BMW site.

Thanks for the clarification guys. Yeah, I was still thinking that MRSP price (sticker price) that I got from the website is the price that you have to work with and that you have to pay $1,500 - $2,000 above $68,695 . My mistake.

Well, then paying $1,500 - $2,000 above invoice does not sound too bad to be an early adopter of the 2011 535i.

Last edited by CarBrain; 06-04-2010 at 01:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 01:58 AM   #17
ibimmer954
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Question for you guys who are from the USA.

It seems that you guys ordered the 5 series car without even getting a chance to test drive it. Wouldn't you want to test drive a car before you buy since it is a fairly expensive car.
Yep, I ordered the car before I ever drove it. But I had been driving a 335i for 3 years so I had a good idea what the BMW experience was about. When the car came in, I did do a quick test drive before I signed anything and it didn't disappoint.

The 535i is smoother than I ever would have imagined, and I'm happy with it so far. Besides, I always do a 3-year lease anyway. So it's not like it's a "forever" type of commitment for me. In 3 years I'll get something else. The new 3's will be out by then. Maybe the diesel 5's will finally get here. Or maybe I'll try another manufacturer. Don't need to worry about it for 2.5 years.
Appreciate 0