E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > de CDV'd

06-02-2010, 11:33 PM   #1
accel
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i MT ZSP

de CDV'd

So I did that - replaced CDV with fake CDV - with no valve inside. The work itself was done in the shop - total price was probably close to the price of equipment I needed to buy to get under the car, and it took them around 15 minutes all in all. I'd definitely spend more than an hour (and that's very optimistic) doing this first time and not knowing even how that thing looks like etc., plus time to shop for the equipment... the price I paid in the shop sounds to me like a deal.

My motivation to de CDV involved these two major concerns:

1) After initial period of adjusting myself to the car I realized that it is fine for lazy cruising, but somehow the clutch felt dumb and uninspiring for fast shifts. I just felt it very different from Honda Prelude I used to have - where I felt the exact moment and range of clutch engagement.

2) Shifter resists to go into the 2nd gear's "gate". To the level I have to apply reasonable effort to push it through the gate. Despite that this obviously delays the shift.

After the replacement I can definitely tell that #1 is fixed. I'm not 100% sure regarding #2. I think that it goes through the gate easier but still not as easy as It was going in Prelude, where I had to knock the shifter with my fingers and it'd just jump into the gate. I feel like it might be easier than before but this feeling might be subjective.

Regarding #2 the following scenario is true:
- stop the car
- push the clutch all the way to the floor and keep it there
- select 2nd gear.
- select neutral
- select 2nd gear
- select neutral
- select 2nd gear

only the first time it takes reasonable effort to push it through, but every consecutive time it is easier and easier. So I think it's might be oil viscosity. If this is true - it might improve with time or oil replacement.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 11:35 PM   #2
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi <--- Joke
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E85, MKVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by accel View Post
So I did that - replaced CDV with fake CDV - with no valve inside. The work itself was done in the shop - total price was probably close to the price of equipment I needed to buy to get under the car, and it took them around 15 minutes all in all. I'd definitely spend more than an hour (and that's very optimistic) doing this first time and not knowing even how that thing looks like etc., plus time to shop for the equipment... the price I paid in the shop sounds to me like a deal.

My motivation to de CDV involved these two major concerns:

1) After initial period of adjusting myself to the car I realized that it is fine for lazy cruising, but somehow the clutch felt dumb and uninspiring for fast shifts. I just felt it very different from Honda Prelude I used to have - where I felt the exact moment and range of clutch engagement.

2) Shifter resists to go into the 2nd gear's "gate". To the level I have to apply reasonable effort to push it through the gate. Despite that this obviously delays the shift.

After the replacement I can definitely tell that #1 is fixed. I'm not 100% sure regarding #2. I think that it goes through the gate easier but still not as easy as It was going in Prelude, where I had to knock the shifter with my fingers and it'd just jump into the gate. I feel like it might be easier than before but this feeling might be subjective.

Regarding #2 the following scenario is true:
- stop the car
- push the clutch all the way to the floor and keep it there
- select 2nd gear.
- select neutral
- select 2nd gear
- select neutral
- select 2nd gear

only the first time it takes reasonable effort to push it through, but every consecutive time it is easier and easier. So I think it's might be oil viscosity. If this is true - it might improve with time or oil replacement.
Flush the system. And bleed it.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 11:39 PM   #3
accel
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i MT ZSP

The shop did bleed clutch hydraulic system.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 11:39 PM   #4
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi <--- Joke
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E85, MKVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by accel View Post
The shop did bleed clutch hydraulic system.
Gotcha, then I guess it might take time to adjust. I can't really remember I did this a year ago.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 08:07 AM   #5
fnckr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6mt

Check your brake reservoir to make sure there's brake fluid in the rear clutch section of the reservoir. The back 1/2 inch has an internal wall separating it from the rest of the reservoir make sure the brake fluid is above that wall so that it will overflow into it.

Regarding your #2, I agree that it is a transmission or oil issue rather than a CDV issue. CDV improved it slightly only because clutch was following my actions more quickly. But, even now I still get the occasional difficulty during the first couple miles in the morning.
      06-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #6
bimmernoob
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnckr View Post
Check your brake reservoir to make sure there's brake fluid in the rear clutch section of the reservoir. The back 1/2 inch has an internal wall separating it from the rest of the reservoir make sure the brake fluid is above that wall so that it will overflow into it.

Regarding your #2, I agree that it is a transmission or oil issue rather than a CDV issue. CDV improved it slightly only because clutch was following my actions more quickly. But, even now I still get the occasional difficulty during the first couple miles in the morning.
^
+1 on #2. Either tranny or oil issue. I had similar problem before I did the CDV and still lingers after the CDV delete. Replacing tranny oil with oem will not do it either. I have read online that other fluids may help this (redline).
Appreciate 0