E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Bubble in tire! arghhh

06-03-2010, 07:11 PM   #1
SebringS2k
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 335i 6MT

Bubble in tire! arghhh

So driving home today on the highway, going about 70mph, noticed a construction sign that said "Bump", no more than 10ft later, huge bump on the road and bang! hardest bump I've ever felt, enough to move my rear-view mirror and open the ash tray. stopped at a gas station, and noticed a small bump on the side wall of the front right tire and rim rash...so now my perfect e92 is no more...

so been reading online, seems like a bubble needs to be replaced, I'm still on the OEM Bridgestone RFT at 20k miles, still decent tread left (prob 10k remaining), what do you guys think? I was going to replace them with non-RFT for all, but now not sure, should I go with just one tire for now, or suck it up and get a full set? I was leaning towards the Continental ExtremeContact DWS and am looking for all-seasons. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 07:23 PM   #2
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Bummer man. It happens. I drove on my bubble RFT for like 3K miles but I wouldn't recommend that. It's not going to burst immediately, but do replace it soon. As for RFT or non-RFT it's up to you. I went with some ventus v12's and they were awesome for the money. I also like how I don't feel every single groove of the road anymore. Driving on crappy roads used to suck.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 07:26 PM   #3
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

I'd just replace them all, honestly. The RE050A's are only good for ~25k anyway. You can probably sell the remaining three here - people are always buying them for lease returns and stuff.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 07:51 PM   #4
Twilight1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tuned SHO

18 or 19 inch rims ?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 08:01 PM   #5
SebringS2k
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
I'd just replace them all, honestly. The RE050A's are only good for ~25k anyway. You can probably sell the remaining three here - people are always buying them for lease returns and stuff.
yea, I'm leaning towards replacing the whole set with all-seasons, kinda wanted to wait till after summer, oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight1 View Post
18 or 19 inch rims ?
18" sport package rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
One should ALWAYS slow down when you get to those bumps. A driver error like this is a costly mistake.

Did you buy tire insurance? I guess not.
nah, I had no time, this was on the free way and the "Bump" sign was 10ft away from the bump, no time to react going 70mph

I took another look just now, and it's a slight bump on the sidewall, can't really see it, but the slight bump can be felt. any recommendations on all-seasons? looks like tirerack is back ordered on the front tire size of the ExtremeContact
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 08:04 PM   #6
subec3b
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E90, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebringS2k View Post
So driving home today on the highway, going about 70mph, noticed a construction sign that said "Bump", no more than 10ft later, huge bump on the road and bang! hardest bump I've ever felt, enough to move my rear-view mirror and open the ash tray. stopped at a gas station, and noticed a small bump on the side wall of the front right tire and rim rash...so now my perfect e92 is no more...

so been reading online, seems like a bubble needs to be replaced, I'm still on the OEM Bridgestone RFT at 20k miles, still decent tread left (prob 10k remaining), what do you guys think? I was going to replace them with non-RFT for all, but now not sure, should I go with just one tire for now, or suck it up and get a full set? I was leaning towards the Continental ExtremeContact DWS and am looking for all-seasons. Thanks
18 or 19? Tire insurance? Yes or No?

Sorry about your loss. Sorry for your loss. Those small bumps can kill a tire quick. Slow down next time when you see them.

For once someone didn't blame BMW. Why can't Debaser and Saintor be more like you?
      06-03-2010, 08:22 PM   #7
SebringS2k
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by subec3b View Post
18 or 19? Tire insurance? Yes or No?

Sorry about your loss. Sorry for your loss. Those small bumps can kill a tire quick. Slow down next time when you see them.

For once someone didn't blame BMW. Why can't Debaser and Saintor be more like you?
18" sport package, no tire insurance. Nah, I don't blame BMW, I blame the construction/road repair crew more, no idea why they would make such a drastic bump on the highway?? I bet I'm not the only one with a bubble after today

should I worry about my suspension? steering? it felt ok with the remaining of the drive. I'm still under warranty, so maybe I'll have them take a look, have to bring it in for an oil change anyway
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 10:25 PM   #8
DoctorTwinTurbo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 335i 6MT

I know your pain all too well man, found myself a nice big bubble on my front passenger tire this morning RIGHT before taking my car in for a probable HPFP failure (long cranks getting worse everyday over the last 2 weeks). My dealer quoted me $480 for one tire installed, I have the 19' RFTs unfortunately. I was debating the same thing about just getting a whole new set of wheels and non-RFTs instead of spending this much on just one tire since I was planning on doing it in the next few months anyways. Random question though, would it be terrible for the suspension to just pick up a non-RFT to replace the bubbled one and leave the other 3 run flat for a few months until I find the wheels/tires I really want? I don't wanna make a rash decision on wheels then regret it later. Sorry to jack your thread op!
      06-03-2010, 10:45 PM   #9
SebringS2k
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorTwinTurbo View Post
I know your pain all too well man, found myself a nice big bubble on my front passenger tire this morning RIGHT before taking my car in for a probable HPFP failure (long cranks getting worse everyday over the last 2 weeks). My dealer quoted me $480 for one tire installed, I have the 19' RFTs unfortunately. I was debating the same thing about just getting a whole new set of wheels and non-RFTs instead of spending this much on just one tire since I was planning on doing it in the next few months anyways. Random question though, would it be terrible for the suspension to just pick up a non-RFT to replace the bubbled one and leave the other 3 run flat for a few months until I find the wheels/tires I really want? I don't wanna make a rash decision on wheels then regret it later. Sorry to jack your thread op!
all good! how many miles do you have on the tires? I think it's ok to have diff-tread tires if it's not too worn, mine's at 20k now, so that's why I'm thinking of just getting a new set. You have the 230s, no need to change! that's my fav 19".

back on topic, anyone deal with discounttires.com? looks like they have the front tire sizes that tirerack has as back ordered, I might just order fronts from there and rears from tirerack. anyone know how much bmw charges for mounting, guessing it's at least an hour of labor?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 10:47 PM   #10
chez83red
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330i

i've been running on a bubble on my tire for 3 months.. I went to the dealer, said if it spreads, replace it asap I got quoted $300 for 1 tire but it's something i'll do before summer is over
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 10:51 PM   #11
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
One should ALWAYS slow down when you get to those bumps. A driver error like this is a costly mistake.

Did you buy tire insurance? I guess not.

One should ALWAYS carefully read the original post of the thread. There are situations where it simply is not possible to slow down before major road hazards.
      06-04-2010, 12:58 AM   #12
dcorn
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i

Same thing happened to me last weekend. Driving through Baltimore on 895 and saw a pothole just before I hit it. Thing must have been 6" deep and I was probably doing around 80. Worst damn bump I've ever felt, knocked my gf's mug out of the cupholder (water, thank God) and locked up her seatbelt. When I finally stopped, I checked the tires to find a small bubble in the front. I'll keep an eye on it and replace if it gets any bigger.

My mom hit some sort of pothole so hard, she had big bubbles in both passenger tires. Her's also had tiny holes in the sidewall right by the rim edge, like pinch flats. This was after about 8k miles on her '08. BMW said too bad, so they had to go through insurance.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 01:29 AM   #13
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
True. To avoid that, you have to scan ahead of the road instead of just looking at the hood of your car. I know it is easier to say than done; nevertheless, it is important to do that in order to avoid accidents or property damage.

Obviously, that's in any good driver's ed manual. There are times when it is absolutely impossible to avoid hitting a pothole/bump at a greater speed than one would like...regardless of where they were looking.
      06-04-2010, 02:15 AM   #14
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
My RE050A fronts were gone in 16K miles. The rears lasted 18K before they literally went flat when the tread wore off. I'd be happy with the O.P.'s 20K and get new ones anyway. Guess it's all how you drive. And I had fun with my 335i.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 05:31 AM   #15
MrDummy
→сяuisiиg iи му вмш←
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Gray 328i

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebringS2k View Post
yea, I'm leaning towards replacing the whole set with all-seasons, kinda wanted to wait till after summer, oh well.

18" sport package rims

nah, I had no time, this was on the free way and the "Bump" sign was 10ft away from the bump, no time to react going 70mph

I took another look just now, and it's a slight bump on the sidewall, can't really see it, but the slight bump can be felt. any recommendations on all-seasons? looks like tirerack is back ordered on the front tire size of the ExtremeContact

Sorry my friend, I wish you luck and hope you get a good deal on a new one.

I think thats why I have been ok is that I have the 16" RFTs they look lame but (knock on wood) havent bubbled yet.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 08:17 AM   #16
e90David335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sport, 1990 325is

Had a bubble.
Now I have NON RFTs.
Much better!
      06-04-2010, 08:40 AM   #17
markinva
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 G82

people are really going overboard with bubbles. 99% of drivers wouldn't even notice a small bubble. Big bubbles are a problem, all bubble should be monitored. But a slight bubble that you can only feel or see when you catch in the right light doesn't mean you have to buy 4 new tires lol
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 08:48 AM   #18
DenverJayhawk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

Does the new F series 3 only come with RFTs too? I haven't researched it because I'm not going to buy the new 3, but just curious.

330i, Black Sapphire, 6MT, Sport, Active Steering, Flux Capacitor
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 08:53 AM   #19
hdrewh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 E90

are bubbles by definition, every single time, regardless of cause, NOT covered under a tire warranty, even if the tire is only a few months old?

2009 E90 328i Montego Blue, Black Leather, 6MT, ZPP, Logic 7, HD radio, CA, fold-down seats, PDC. ED pickup 6/12/2009
mods: Koni FSDs, Eibach Pro's, Sport/Heated Seats, BMW Perf. short shifter, M-tech shift knob/e-brake handle/steering wheel, split armrest, black grilles, 50% tint, 3M clear bra.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 09:13 AM   #20
SebringS2k
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by markinva View Post
people are really going overboard with bubbles. 99% of drivers wouldn't even notice a small bubble. Big bubbles are a problem, all bubble should be monitored. But a slight bubble that you can only feel or see when you catch in the right light doesn't mean you have to buy 4 new tires lol
I checked again this morning, and it hasn't spread/enlarged at least...it is a very small/slight bump, really only noticeable by touch. I'm gonna drive it a few days, see if it gets larger. I have to take my car in for the annual oil change, so I'll have bmw take a look as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 09:31 AM   #21
JuppiOne
Captain
Rep
Drives: everyone crazy

non RFT are generally better in ride quality and noise, performance will be depends on the tire that you are replacing with, but the biggest issue with non RFT is dealer, or BMW roadside assist, some of them will give you sh*& for not using RFT and bitch about it, I heard some horror story here regarding non RFT, not sure if it is true or not, but bear in mind. although IMO, the noise and harsh ride alone justify replacing the RFTm just make sure you have at least a can of fix a flat or something in the trunk, a spare will be even better, but that takes up a huge chunk of space though
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 10:16 AM   #22
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Too bad. Time to go with non-run-flats!!