E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Early oil change - done but service warning display still on

06-04-2010, 08:38 AM   #1
TurboSpecC
Bavarian Wolverine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 428 Gran Coupe

Early oil change - done but service warning display still on

Car told me it needed an oil change in June or 4000 miles last month, took it in the last week of May and they told me they don't reset anything due to BMW policy and I'll need to bring it in again. I just assumed this meant in 4000 miles but I guess nothing at all was reset so the service light has started to come on now that it's June and it thinks it needs the change.

Does BMW not allow them to reset this until it is actually the time period or mileage the vehicle states is needed for the service?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 08:42 AM   #2
IRL-MN
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 | E30 | E28 | E24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboSpecC View Post
Car told me it needed an oil change in June or 4000 miles last month, took it in the last week of May and they told me they don't reset anything due to BMW policy and I'll need to bring it in again. I just assumed this meant in 4000 miles but I guess nothing at all was reset so the service light has started to come on now that it's June and it thinks it needs the change.

Does BMW not allow them to reset this until it is actually the time period or mileage the vehicle states is needed for the service?
BMW covers a low mileage oil change once a year if the service interval is not reached. They do not reset the service indicator for this as it's only an oil and filter change.

Do you know if this is what they did? If you brought it in the last week of May when the car was calling for June, I'd have though that would be clsoe enough to get the full service.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 08:49 AM   #3
TurboSpecC
Bavarian Wolverine
United_States
Rep

Yes, they did a "low mileage" oil change, but I did have it in on May 26th. (I just assumed "low-mileage" was their term for the time interval not being reached)

So I'll need to bring it again now I guess. What does the "service" include other than the oil/filter, which was what the car said was needed?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 10:43 AM   #4
TurboSpecC
Bavarian Wolverine
United_States
Rep

bump for what else other than an oil change do they do when the car says it needs an oil change?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 11:58 AM   #5
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

There used to be a sequence of Oil Service - Inspection I - Oil Service - Inspection II services at intervals which varied from about 12,000 to 18,000 miles. The oil services also included a number of inspections which were clearly spelled out by BMW. This was discontinued around 2006 with the E90.

So the new "Oil Service" for the E90 consists of an oil & filter change, a keyfob readout and a check of the parking brake and every 3rd oil change, the air filter is replaced. There is also a 30,000 mile inspection and brake pad/rotor replacements as needed. Brake fluid and cabin microfilter changes will come up every two years and spark plugs either when needed or at 45,000 miles for 335i and 100,000 for the 328i, depending on the year.

Your car's computer will tell you when the various items need servicing - but when you go in for an early service (on your own dime) as you did, the computer's service countdown is normally not reset. This ensures that you can get your next free service on schedule.

And you should have a warranty/service manual which attempts to explain all this.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 09:47 AM   #6
TurboSpecC
Bavarian Wolverine
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
There used to be a sequence of Oil Service - Inspection I - Oil Service - Inspection II services at intervals which varied from about 12,000 to 18,000 miles. The oil services also included a number of inspections which were clearly spelled out by BMW. This was discontinued around 2006 with the E90.

So the new "Oil Service" for the E90 consists of an oil & filter change, a keyfob readout and a check of the parking brake and every 3rd oil change, the air filter is replaced. There is also a 30,000 mile inspection and brake pad/rotor replacements as needed. Brake fluid and cabin microfilter changes will come up every two years and spark plugs either when needed or at 45,000 miles for 335i and 100,000 for the 328i, depending on the year.

Your car's computer will tell you when the various items need servicing - but when you go in for an early service (on your own dime) as you did, the computer's service countdown is normally not reset. This ensures that you can get your next free service on schedule.

And you should have a warranty/service manual which attempts to explain all this.

Tom
I did not pay for this service (was just like a normal completely covered by BMW oil change, just a week or two early). I guess I'll just give them a call.
Appreciate 0