E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > VERY slight vibration / rattle on clutch engage

06-05-2010, 10:07 AM   #1
Sweedishfishy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07' Montego Blue 335i sedan

VERY slight vibration / rattle on clutch engage

Hi there,

I have a 335i 6MT Sedan which is normally very quiet. The loudest noise when not racing around is usually the DVD in the nav system, as it searches around for map info.

I've noticed recently that when I engage the clutch, there is a quiet but noticeable vibration or rattle going on somewhere near the transmission.

It goes away after fully engaged, but is audible with almost every shift at low speeds (when it's quiet enough to hear it - it's very subtle).

It's more audible if you engage slowly with the clutch alone and no gas. If I blend-engage and ensure to do it extremely smoothly, I think I can avoid it. But it's not easy.

I have 29k miles, bought it at 21k, never had a major problem. I think I'm also due for a 30k warranty check up.

questions:
- what is it?!
- what should I ask BMW about it? (special words that they can write on their maintenance form to get them to really hear it....and fix it?)
- should I be worried?

Thanks for the advice.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2010, 01:09 PM   #2
Healey3000
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i, with 3 pedals

Hi,

What you are hearing is the dual-mass flywheel. As you engage and disengage the clutch, the masses can move relative to each other and "clunk".

All dual-mass flywheels inherently have this characteristic. If it's really loud, it may indicate failure of the flywheel. A subtle sound is annoying but normal. The behavior of the flywheel is linked to the gearbox. Input shaft gear "flicking" can also happen and the idea is that a dual mass flywheel quiets the gearbox.

From what you are describing, I'd say your car is fine. But, if you have concerns, do have it checked out, assuming it's still under warranty.

Regards,
Adnan
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2010, 01:10 PM   #3
Sweedishfishy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07' Montego Blue 335i sedan

Wow - great reply. Thanks so much for the info!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #4
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM X3M

Just wanted to bump this old thread...

I recently had my clutch replaced by BMW at 24k miles.

The new clutch is much smoothier...but I now feel a vibration as I push the clutch pedal all the way down. It goes away once I press the pedal to the floor...it's a vibration I feel as I'm pushing and releasing...

I took it back to the dealership two days ago as they were installing some speakers that were on back order...and I had them take a look at the clutch pedal. They found nothing wrong...

It doesn't feel right. The car shifts just fine...rough as always...but this vibration is new and started after they installed the new clutch!!

Anyone have any experience???
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 09:42 PM   #5
YANFRET
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 & E92 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healey3000 View Post
Hi,

What you are hearing is the dual-mass flywheel. As you engage and disengage the clutch, the masses can move relative to each other and "clunk".

All dual-mass flywheels inherently have this characteristic. If it's really loud, it may indicate failure of the flywheel. A subtle sound is annoying but normal. The behavior of the flywheel is linked to the gearbox. Input shaft gear "flicking" can also happen and the idea is that a dual mass flywheel quiets the gearbox.

From what you are describing, I'd say your car is fine. But, if you have concerns, do have it checked out, assuming it's still under warranty.

Regards,
Adnan

I hate that sound! I'm so paranoid about my 6MT that it drives me nuts but it is REALLY SUBTLE, only with everything off and windows up can you hear it... but I'm so crazy that sometimes I don't listen to the stereo so I can play the coconuts game of shifting smooth enough to dodge that tiny little noise at low speeds OMG

I've only had the car for a week so maybe I'l get over it next week, or maybe I'l get over it after the dealer has a look and tells me it's okay, of course (49k miles)
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 10:13 PM   #6
marshall834
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Comp

Glad this came up - I have recently been having this issue too. Very good explanation - thanks!
E46 323ci
B6 Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 01:22 AM   #7
sosas07335i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i sedan

sounds more like the throw out bearing rattling, i have the same problem
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 09:50 PM   #8
longhorn335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335i Coupe

Same here, this rattle/vibration is so annoying... Yesterday it seemed like the stars were aligned and my shifting was flawless.. And the rattle didnt happen a single time even during low rpm stop and go traffic so far during my commute back home... Then as i was pulling into my driveway and during the final clutch disengagement... Clunk clunk clunk.. Ugh!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 09:51 PM   #9
longhorn335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335i Coupe

So what about replacing the flywheel with a heavier one i thats even available?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #10
Touren
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 i3 REX

I have this rattle in my recently purchased 2010 E91... i'm glad i found that it's not unusual, i was worried my clutch or trans was on the way out. I'll ask about it at the next service anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #11
Grendeltouring
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 E91 M-sport/manual

I've got a strange hesitation when on and off the throttle in 3rd gear in my E91 manual (most noticeable in third) as if there's too much play in the dual-mass flywheel, I've also been getting some clutch judder when engaging the clutch up hills and when slowing down in third gear. Dealer couldn't of course find anything wrong, I'm going to try another dealer. My car has 30k on it.
Appreciate 0