New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

06-08-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
JMcDon1007
Speed Freak
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 sDrive35i - BSM

Angry Need Help Now...JB3 Install on Z4

I'm installing the JB3 and when I finished, I hit the start button and the car cranked for a long time, and then just stopped....the car was giving me all these codes, and now when I hit the start button to try again, it won't crank at all. I did all the steps just like the directions said; however, I don't understand what they mean when they say..."plug the JB3 box in to the harness"

I also see in the pdf on step 11 that I have to "insert the JB2 harness large black connector in to the JB3 box, and tighten screws....Not connecting the actual JB3 computer to the harness is the most common installation mistake made. I don't know what they mean by "box"... I just got a wiring harness.

Any suggestions?? I need my car for work tomorrow! Thanks.

--John
2010 BMW Z4 sDrive 35i
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 08:48 PM   #2
JMcDon1007
Speed Freak
United_States
Rep

Returned to orig. Tune

I have decided to take the JB3 off for tonight and start again another day. If you know of anyone in the Charlotte/Lake Norman area that can assist with the upgrade, please let me know.

Thanks.

--John
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 04:10 AM   #3
mrboon
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Speeeed

Looks like you got the plug and play version, but you didnt receive the actual box.

That black box, do you have it? Did you buy it from BMS, or 2nd had from someone?

Without the box, you can use it.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 10:01 AM   #4
JMcDon1007
Speed Freak
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the response!

Thanks for the response! I'm pretty new to all this so any feedback I can get on the board is greatly appreciated.

After typing that message, I realized that the directions were talking about that box. I did receive it; however, i plugged it in and tried to start the car and got the same thing....the engine turned over about 8 times, then just stopped and all these codes were popping up on my screen (fuel pump error, transmission error, DSC error, etc.). Ugh!

Since I had to be up for work at 4:45 this morning, I just took off the harness and put things back the way they were. I did double check upon removing the harness that all of the plugs were properly aligned as per the video and that everything was seated properly. Would you happen to have any other suggestions or ideas? Could it have been the fact that the second time, I just plugged the box in after it wouldn't start and then just tried it again? Did I miss a step or anything?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 12:44 PM   #5
puyo
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive35i

Just follow the instructions carefully, and make sure everything is aligned properly. The installation of the JB3 on the E89 N54 is very easy. Make sure you put the ECU to sleep and unplug the red power wire in the ECU compartment to make maneuvers easier.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 12:56 PM   #6
mrboon
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Speeeed

Yes very important that you had the battery of hte car unplugged, or the key of your car very far away... and of course wait at least 10 mins or so before you start with everything. Otherwise the system gets messed up.

I installed mine without any problems.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 01:14 PM   #7
JMcDon1007
Speed Freak
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by puyo View Post
Just follow the instructions carefully, and make sure everything is aligned properly. The installation of the JB3 on the E89 N54 is very easy. Make sure you put the ECU to sleep and unplug the red power wire in the ECU compartment to make maneuvers easier.
Yea, it seemed easy, but for some reason, I must be screwing something up!

I didn't unplug the battery or the red wire before or during installation (I did when putting everything back to orig as I found it lots easier to maneuver), but I DID lock the doors, and put the fob in the house and made sure the ECU was "asleep" before I started.

Could I possibly be running into issues because I didn't take the hot wire off the battery or unplug the red wire from the ECU? If so, what's the best method or should I do both?

I really appreciate you guys for taking the time to help.

--John
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 02:05 PM   #8
yabbanoname
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Garage List
give terry @ bms a call or look at n54tech.com
      06-09-2010, 03:12 PM   #9
JMcDon1007
Speed Freak
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Yabba! Yea, I e-mailed Terry and he's been very prompt in getting back with me.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 03:20 PM   #10
puyo
Rep

Give Terry a call if you still run into problem on your next attempt. You don't need to disconnect the battery (but you can if you want to). Disconnecting the red wire in the ECU compartment just makes move stuff around much easier. You can also slide the ECU up to make getting to the large ECU connector easier.

From the description of your errors, I think you may have put some of the connectors in the wrong direction.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 09:18 AM   #11
telisz4
Rep
Drives: bmw z4 s335i

jb3

hello from greece guys. i m very interesting to order the jb3 programm for my z435i . do y really recomment this product are you satisfied so far, is it worth it. thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 12:00 PM   #12
JMcDon1007
Speed Freak
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Give Terry a call if you still run into problem on your next attempt. You don't need to disconnect the battery (but you can if you want to). Disconnecting the red wire in the ECU compartment just makes move stuff around much easier. You can also slide the ECU up to make getting to the large ECU connector easier.

From the description of your errors, I think you may have put some of the connectors in the wrong direction.
Thanks for the info Puyo! I did lift up that ECU to get that large connector out, but I'll remove that red wire this time because it definately got in my way.

About he connectors in the wrong direction....How do I know which way is the right way? What I was doing was looking at the bottom of each and there was a very small vertical slot on one side of each and I made sure they were both on the same side. By looking at the video, that's how they were doing it. I'm going to try again in the morning and see how it goes....

More to follow! As soon as I get this working, I'll post my feedback. I went from a 2008 C6 Corvette to the Z4 35i so I'm missing the brute force of that LS3!!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 09:15 AM   #13
puyo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcDon1007 View Post
What I was doing was looking at the bottom of each and there was a very small vertical slot on one side of each and I made sure they were both on the same side.
Did your install go well over the weekend? What you did should have ensure that the pins are lined up, good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 08:48 PM   #14
JMcDon1007
Speed Freak
United_States
Rep

Hey Guys! Thanks for all the feedback. I was able to get the JB3 and DCI's installed over the weekend. There must have just been a bad connection on the first attempt. So far I'm loving the extra HP the JB3 provides as well as the sound of the engine from the DCI install. The car is still getting used to the DCI's, but each drive gets a little better. Thanks again for the feedback. I've only had the car 3 weeks, and I'm looking forward to spending a lot more time on the forum. Cheers!!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 01:20 PM   #15
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcDon1007 View Post
Hey Guys! Thanks for all the feedback. I was able to get the JB3 and DCI's installed over the weekend. There must have just been a bad connection on the first attempt. So far I'm loving the extra HP the JB3 provides as well as the sound of the engine from the DCI install. The car is still getting used to the DCI's, but each drive gets a little better. Thanks again for the feedback. I've only had the car 3 weeks, and I'm looking forward to spending a lot more time on the forum. Cheers!!
what are the DCIs - sorry in advance for my ignorance
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 04:37 PM   #16
SHADOW4
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite M4 2018

Garage List
2010 E89 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBMW View Post
what are the DCIs - sorry in advance for my ignorance
Dual Cone Intakes? Just a guess..........
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 06:32 PM   #17
JMcDon1007
Speed Freak
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADOW4 View Post
Dual Cone Intakes? Just a guess..........
I hope you wagered a lot on that because you are correct. Would you like "Z4 Performance Acronyms" for a thousand?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 11:59 PM   #18
Projekt35i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4

Great to hear.... have fun with it!
Appreciate 0