E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Does anyone have photos of how the Apple iPod displays on the navigation.

09-01-2005, 12:59 PM   #1
Sean330i
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Question Does anyone have photos of how the Apple iPod displays on the navigation.

Just wondering if anyone has photos of how the Apple iPod displays on the navigation.
2006 330i Automatic |Alpine White | Terra Dakota Leather | Burl Walnut Wood Trim| Premium Package | AT | Active Steering | Sports Package | iDrive & Navigation | Comfort Access | Heated Front Seat | Park Distance Control | SIRIUS Satellite Radio |
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2005, 01:12 PM   #2
JRMillion
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

i don't think it does yet.
There is only a simple AUX input, not ipod specific.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2005, 01:24 PM   #3
cdheaven
I'm Starving , So I Guess You Are What You Eat
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

i dont understand how bmw went backwards in this technology. ESPECIALLY with the huge success apple has had with the ipod. I dont understand exactly how the ipod plugged into the old body style bmw. was there just a usb plug in the glove box. or did you need some sort of factory or aftermarket adapter?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2005, 03:25 PM   #4
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

the old system required a factory adapter
it worked like a cd changer, you had to create playlists called bmw1-6 and you'd have control over FF, reverse track, but it only operated in random mode. I heard you don't even get track info.

I belive the new system in the E90 is a whole different animal than older cars using more extensive fiber optics.

The old system wasn't that great from what I heard

Just buy satellite radio and you'll be fine

Last edited by ward; 09-01-2005 at 05:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2005, 11:46 PM   #5
Atty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 X5 48i M-Sport

Garage List
I just joined this forum tonight, looking through old emails.

iPod is my biggest worry about the new E90 I ordered with Nav.

I had the dealer install the iPod adapter in my current E46 last year and now I can't live without it. I've grown used to the fact that you have to create 5 different playlists and then remember the order of the songs if you want to find one fast. But there are fast forward/reverse options if you know what you're doing, and its a clean install with no distortion and full use of steering wheel audio controls. And, the iPod is discretely hidden in the glovebox.

Once I started using iPod in the car, I never listened to audio CDs again.

Now, for whatever reason, BMW will allow you to use iPods with Nav only if you opt for the $635 (plus installation) 6 disc CD player. Makes no sense...I'm getting Nav, Satellite radio, and want to use my iPod which contains my favorite songs from my CD collection. With all that, why do they think I'd even want to load up 6 CDs?
      09-02-2005, 11:51 PM   #6
YYdoodle
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 fanatic

Atty: what do you mean you can only use IPODs with nav only if you get the 6 disc CD player? Did you mean MP3's? You can use your IPOD by plugging it into the AUX port in the glove compartment. If you meant MP3 CD's, there's a BMW bulletin that a September software update to the car will allow e90's with iDrive to play MP3 CD's. Check out this link for the bulletin.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2690
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2005, 03:55 PM   #7
Atty
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Great News

Thanks for the info Terps - I thought it wasn't possible to use iPods with the Nav system, glad to hear it's available. I'm really looking forward to it.
      09-03-2005, 07:14 PM   #8
theclay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atty
Thanks for the info Terps - I thought it wasn't possible to use iPods with the Nav system, glad to hear it's available. I'm really looking forward to it.
I think you may have misunderstood our friend Terps. You can use your iPod only through the center console AUX input. This works fine but you will not see songs displayed on the radio or be able to control more than volume with the steering wheel or radio controls.
The MP3s that Terps is talking about are disks burned in MP3 format. I do not have NAV and I haven't tried to listen to any MP3 disks (been meaning to try that). I listen to my iPod or radio all of the time. It would be nice if I could skip tracks on my iPod via the steering wheel but I'm used to it now. I can open the lid of the center console and hit the right part of my iPod without looking now.
      09-03-2005, 09:07 PM   #9
Atty
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
No, unfortunately I understood. I'm just glad I'll be able to play anything at all because for a long time I thought it wasn't even an option.

But I hope they come up with a new adapter soon so you can play through the audio system. And this time it would be nicer if you could actually see the tracks you are playing instead of just numbers.

Thanks.
      09-13-2005, 04:06 PM   #10
Sean330i
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Thanks for the reply...
2006 330i Automatic |Alpine White | Terra Dakota Leather | Burl Walnut Wood Trim| Premium Package | AT | Active Steering | Sports Package | iDrive & Navigation | Comfort Access | Heated Front Seat | Park Distance Control | SIRIUS Satellite Radio |
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2005, 04:12 PM   #11
cdheaven
I'm Starving , So I Guess You Are What You Eat
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

i never used/saw/dealt with the ipod set up in the e46, but maybe the new set up is better..... yea it sucks you cant use steering wheel controls. but you have the ipod closer to you(doesnt have to be in glovebox), 2. you dont have to make playlists. 3. even though 99% of mp3 players are ipods, not EVERYONE USES THIS. maybe the aux in, is just a better system. and then maybe we can just cross our fingers that apple/bmw has something up their sleeves that it will make it a tad better
Appreciate 0