E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > can NIC turn itself back on somehow?

06-12-2010, 11:11 AM   #1
granadablanca
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i, AP1

can NIC turn itself back on somehow?

So, this is a long story, but I'll try to keep it brief.

For the past few months, I've been tearing my hair out trying to get a problem resolved. The car (2006 330i, loaded w/ step) has been to the dealer 8 TIMES for the issue.

I was originally certain it was simply the NIC that was the problem. (symptoms described here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=391980) The symptoms match exactly, to both the related SIBs and to other complaints found online. It had to be the NIC. I had done plenty of research, so I first brought it to the dealer saying "please remove the NIC". The foreman went for a test-drive with me, and said "no, not the NIC, that's the start-off assist and it can't be removed, sorry".

The next time I brought it, I asked him to remove it anyway, even if I was wrong. I brought along several printed-out SIBs and anything else I could find. He reluctantly did so, and it was noted clearly on the RO ("removed NIC per SIB XXX, start-off assist remains"). The car was PERFECT afterward and I was thrilled. What a knucklehead, I thought, but then a few days later, the problem slowly began to return again.

I brought it back several times since then, each time trying to find a new way to explain the problem, to no avail. I even requested a BMW RTE look at it, who did and supposedly agreed with the dealer (according to the SA, I didn't speak with him directly). They continually say "normal operation, get over it". When I ask "well if it's normal, why does no other BMW I've driven act like this, not even their loaners?" They shrug their shoulders. I've been trying to live with it since then.

Anyway, this is where it gets interesting.

Last week, I brought it in for a check control warning (mentioned in the other thread, which turned out to be caused by low power steering level, somehow).

My warranty expires next week, so I told the SA "look, I won't ask you about the driveability issue again, but do this for me instead...". I asked him to confirm in writing (i.e. on the RO) that the NIC was removed, as well as the soft-stop feature (another possible culprit I've bugged them about). I did have the older RO still, but I wanted it to be crystal clear that the problem existed and was complained about during the warranty, in case it ever got worse.

He said fine, but that it requires an hour labor to check, and I'd have to pay since "there's no problem". At this point I just said whatever, do it.

He called me later in the day to say BOTH THE NIC AND SOFT-STOP WERE STILL ACTIVE, and do I want them to deactivate them since they were already in there. I said of course, but WTF.

Why would they be active again? I have a previous RO saying they were removed. The programming level of the car is definitely new enough to have them gone as well - is it even possible to have the new software but still have the NIC active? Finally, why would they not at least TRY that, after 8 trips complaining about it? Do you think it's because I was willing to pay this time?

Anyway, when I picked up my car a couple days ago, it was PERFECT again. Not one issue whatsoever, all my complaints resolved. It really was the NIC after all, it seemed, and I was simultaneously furious for all the wasted effort and unbelievably relieved it was finally driveable again.

However, yesterday night, the issue happened a couple times again, and then again this morning. It appears to be coming back, yet again...

How is this possible? Is the NIC turning itself back on somehow? What the hell is going on with my car? If it's not the NIC, then why does the problem disappear for a few days after they "remove" it?

Appreciate any advice, opinions, insight, etc. Sorry for the long post, but I had to vent. Thanks for reading.

Cheers,
Dave
Appreciate 0