BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-24-2010, 12:10 PM   #1
shinoko
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: black 135i with M sport ^^

differences between 135i with M sport package and a M1

Can anyone tell me what is the differences between 135i with M sport package and a M1...

Thx ^^
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 12:21 PM   #2
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Well the M1 is around 30 years old, it was powered by a NA straight six and it was midengined.

A 135i MSport has a turbocharged straight six, can be had new now, and can be had with a sunroof.

To be serious we don't know much about the M 1er. We know it will be Mish, so more powerful engine, tighter suspension, LSD, and M interior.

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Google Timothy Leary, that's the main difference, anything else is speculation at this point.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 02:16 PM   #4
JimmyT
Redneck Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Google Timothy Leary, that's the main difference, anything else is speculation at this point.
nice one...and take the DeLoren to 88 MPH while your at it, McFly!
      06-24-2010, 02:19 PM   #5
JimmyT
Redneck Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

seriously, the M version of the 135i will have many upgraded parts such as LSD rear, new interior bits, a proper sport suspension, and better brakes......and more power than a box stock 135i. The biggest argument is to get an M car, or hop up a 135i to similar performance levels. I say buy the M, and have a warranty instead of modding a 135i!!! just my 2 cents worth....
      06-24-2010, 04:07 PM   #6
///Mangler
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Darth Vader Trackcar

Garage List
2000 E39 M5  [9.00]
What are the differences between the ZHP e46ci and the e46 M3? Same kind of thing.

T
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 04:39 PM   #7
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinoko View Post
Can anyone tell me what is the differences between 135i with M sport package and a M1...

Thx ^^
One can read the threads and see, take a look at the vids, just lurk.
1 series M: Light weight, carbon roof, quad exhaust tips, CSL style rims (we think), wide body, LSD, M style kit, different seats, differen colors offered, will be a GTS version (we believe), limited run, M3 suspension and brakes (we think--or brembos),

oh about 10 grand more
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 07:03 PM   #8
twenzel
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 Audi S3

troll thread
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 12:26 AM   #9
Windex
Registered
Rep
Drives: IS350

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME View Post
One can read the threads and see, take a look at the vids, just lurk.
1 series M: Light weight, carbon roof, quad exhaust tips, CSL style rims (we think), wide body, LSD, M style kit, different seats, differen colors offered, will be a GTS version (we believe), limited run, M3 suspension and brakes (we think--or brembos),

oh about 10 grand more
I joined this forum to gather knowledge to help make the decision of whether or not I wanted to buy a 135. All of that aside, what you are saying sounds amazing, but the shit youre smoking must be as well. I went to a local dealership and found a 135i in the showroom with what they called a "performance package". This included carbon fiber mirrors, CF spoiler, CF interior trim, a badass alcantra steering wheel, wheels, exhaust, front and rear bumper, and a few more nick knacks like sport pedals, 3" thick pinstripe. you are looking at a 15000 addition to the 42 they wanted for the car. No widebody, no CF roof, no seats, no quad tips or even second exhaust opening no M3 suspension or brembo brakes. What you are saying they want to add I could all too easily see being a 20-35k more.

sorry to be a dick for my first post but I just HIGHLY disagree with what you have said.
Edit: and if it is only 10k more for everything that you listed than I will stand corrected and probably buy one

Last edited by Windex; 06-25-2010 at 12:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 02:58 AM   #10
IS3andME
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windex View Post
I joined this forum to gather knowledge to help make the decision of whether or not I wanted to buy a 135. All of that aside, what you are saying sounds amazing, but the shit youre smoking must be as well. I went to a local dealership and found a 135i in the showroom with what they called a "performance package". This included carbon fiber mirrors, CF spoiler, CF interior trim, a badass alcantra steering wheel, wheels, exhaust, front and rear bumper, and a few more nick knacks like sport pedals, 3" thick pinstripe. you are looking at a 15000 addition to the 42 they wanted for the car. No widebody, no CF roof, no seats, no quad tips or even second exhaust opening no M3 suspension or brembo brakes. What you are saying they want to add I could all too easily see being a 20-35k more.

sorry to be a dick for my first post but I just HIGHLY disagree with what you have said.
Edit: and if it is only 10k more for everything that you listed than I will stand corrected and probably buy one
the 135i lists at what, 42K? By your estimates, 20k-35k would put it costing as much or more than a M3 and more than a 335iS, and ain't no way in heezy will they price that in that range. It makes no sense, especially if they (M Division) have made a statement saying that they want to get younger people into the---meaning this is entry level. 60-70k, isn't entry level. There is a M3 Competition at my local dealer, it was going for 76k.

Now, who is gonna pay for almost that much for a 1 series M? Which is why they are possibly using parts of the M3 in suspension, brakes, LSD (possibly) to eat up the cost of of development. They have to price this competitively, now the GTS version may cost that much, due to it being a hardcore track model...Now that is not to say that dealer won't make that up. I've seen a GT-R that listed for 70+K, go for 110k.

Come on, now we Lexus owners pride ourselves for being the level headed ones
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 08:09 AM   #11
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
the 135i lists at what, 42K? By your estimates, 20k-35k would put it costing as much or more than a M3 and more than a 335iS, and ain't no way in heezy will they price that in that range. It makes no sense, especially if they (M Division) have made a statement saying that they want to get younger people into the---meaning this is entry level. 60-70k, isn't entry level. There is a M3 Competition at my local dealer, it was going for 76k.

Now, who is gonna pay for almost that much for a 1 series M? Which is why they are possibly using parts of the M3 in suspension, brakes, LSD (possibly) to eat up the cost of of development. They have to price this competitively, now the GTS version may cost that much, due to it being a hardcore track model...Now that is not to say that dealer won't make that up. I've seen a GT-R that listed for 70+K, go for 110k.

Come on, now we Lexus owners pride ourselves for being the level headed ones

A base 135i plus $4,000 in options lists at 42k before negotiations.
      06-25-2010, 09:00 AM   #12
Future M1 owner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: No BMW atm

We're all here to await the news on this upcoming model, and we jump on every tiny bit of info and speculation with great enthusiasm, and rightly so IMO.
But I do think this forum can do with a bit less posturing.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 10:02 AM   #13
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windex View Post

The 135 you saw sounds like it was loaded with every BMW Performance option available, which I doubt would add up to another $15,000. I'm guessing that is what the dealer is charging for all the parts, installation and probably some markup. I hope whoever buys that car also gets all the old parts, since they should be included with the original price of the car. Also remember that the BMW Performance parts are different from the M Division parts that will be used on the M version of the 1. As IS3andME said, there will be parts/cost sharing with the 1 M and the current and future M3. We have been speculating at the ballpark price for a while, but all we know as this point is that the M Division has stated they want to offer an M car at a lower price point than the existing products to attract new and younger buyers to the brand.
      06-25-2010, 11:37 PM   #14
Scoobe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan SSII/SN/DCT

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [10.00]
Article I read noted that they expect it to be 10k less than an M3. That would put the base price of the 135M at 45-47k ish, with no options. With the more popular options it would be around 53-56k ish. However the M version will likely drive completely different than the fully optioned 135i. The current 135i pays little attention to handling and balance, whereas the M most likely will have a far better handling undercarriage. If your desire is to have a performance 1 Series, wait for the M.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #15
shinoko
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: black 135i with M sport ^^

So does my 135i (with M sport package) consider as M series, just like M3?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 01:41 PM   #16
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

NO

Please tell me you are pulling our collective legs here... I'm beginning to think twenzel was spot on.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 03:04 PM   #17
IS3andME
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinoko View Post
So does my 135i (with M sport package) consider as M series, just like M3?
Read what you put in parenthesis....read it 10x. Say it "M Sport Package".

Now, know the diff between a M Division car and M Sport package is the same as a Mercedes E350 with AMG sport package...wheels, exhaust tips, brakes, cosmetics, etc

it still isn't a AMG product, just like your car is not a M Division product.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 04:08 AM   #18
CGameProgrammer
Rep
Drives: 128i? (not yet)

The M3 sedan is $55,400 which is exactly $15k more than the 335i sedan. I would expect the "M1" (whatever they call it) to be at least $10k more than the 135i: over $46k. Probably more like $48k? The price would be especially closer to the M3 if they make use of aluminum instead of the cost-saving steel that I understand the 1-series uses (as opposed to the 3-series) for some things.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 12:48 PM   #19
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

^^^ I can't believe people spend $40-50K on these amazing cars, and yet don't have a freaking clue what they just bought. So much money, so little time....

A 135i M sport is an option-enhanced version of the regular 135i. IF BMW produces an M1 based on the current or next gen 1 series, best guess is it will be at least as different from the 135i as the M3 is from the 335i. So, if they produce an M1, it will be very clearly a different car from the other 1 series models.

Does that help?
      06-29-2010, 01:18 PM   #20
IS3andME
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudw View Post
^^^ I can't believe people spend $40-50K on these amazing cars, and yet don't have a freaking clue what they just bought. So much money, so little time....

A 135i M sport is an option-enhanced version of the regular 135i. IF BMW produces an M1 based on the current or next gen 1 series, best guess is it will be at least as different from the 135i as the M3 is from the 335i. So, if they produce an M1, it will be very clearly a different car from the other 1 series models.

Does that help?
Wasnt there a study that came out that stated that most people who bought a 1 series thought it was FWD? Well, I'm guessing that there are people who know that it is RWD, but see the "M" on the steering wheel abd think they actually have a M product---not just a M steering wheel with other options.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 02:05 PM   #21
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Wasnt there a study that came out that stated that most people who bought a 1 series thought it was FWD? Well, I'm guessing that there are people who know that it is RWD, but see the "M" on the steering wheel abd think they actually have a M product---not just a M steering wheel with other options.
Well, BMW never stated how they came up with their statement that most 1 series owners think they have a FWD car... It was at the time when they were also talking about creating a sub-1 series car that WAS (ta-daaaa) FWD. Go figure... That, coupled with nobody on any BMW forum known to man having been asked if they thought there car was FWD, and we can all paint the picture that it was BS...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 04:14 PM   #22
IS3andME
Major
Rep

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Well, BMW never stated how they came up with their statement that most 1 series owners think they have a FWD car... It was at the time when they were also talking about creating a sub-1 series car that WAS (ta-daaaa) FWD. Go figure... That, coupled with nobody on any BMW forum known to man having been asked if they thought there car was
FWD, and we can all paint the picture that it was BS...
Hmmm, or maybe it was polling the
salespeople who would ask the potential buyers. I know of one woman who was

looking at a E9x and cross shopping it with a Lexus ES330-350 (I know, 2 entirely diff
league of cars). The BMW salesperson asked if she could feel the difference between Fwd
and Rwd, she said no. What sealed the deal?
The Lexus ES had better cup holders

And she then traded the car in for a Hyundai Tucson...she said it had loads more room than her Lexus...duh, one is a SUV the other is a car.
Appreciate 0