XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

06-30-2010, 12:09 PM   #1
twentyten
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3

Deciding on exterior colour?

I don't know if any of you can help us, but we'd value your collective opinion.

We're thinking of ordering a X1, currently we have a X3 and a 1-series, both of which are Black.

Now, by our reckoning "safe" colours are black or silver, however, we quite like Space Grey, our worry is, 3-4 years down the line the dealer is going to take a sharp intake of breath and come out with "well, you should have got it in a more common colour, that'll wipe £xxx off your trade in value".

So over to you, what do you all think?

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 01:17 PM   #2
DeckerJnr
Rep
Drives: X1 23d

I went for Vermillion Red...some pics here...

http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390473

Its a lot darker in the flesh...but def a bit unusual!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 03:55 PM   #3
bjotings
Norway
Rep
Drives: X1

Color options

I checked Mobile.de for used x1 colors. I believe black and silver are very safe colors. I guess something like 70 % of all X1's sold are black or silver where nearly 50 % are black! After this comes brown, grey and white which are probably safe bets (depending on country) as well.

The least popular colors seems to be the green metalic.

My X1 is black metalic - it is a nice color although as you probably already experienced not too practical as every dust and mud particle is very easy to spot. In that perspective the gray color is probably more practical.

RE
BT
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentyten View Post
I don't know if any of you can help us, but we'd value your collective opinion.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Hi Mike, another member from Scotland Wonder if last winter has anything to do with all of us looking at X1's

I tried to see as many X1's in the different colours as I could but looking at the used ones on the BMW site gives you a good idea. As you mention if residuals are important its better to go for a "safe" colour like black or silver in the UK. Of the two Titanium Silver is the easier one to keep clean, espesially up here with all the grit they spread in winter. Or you can go with what you like best, there are no real bad ones (the brown not so sure of).

Personally I like the Deep Sea Blue the best, Silver second and then Tasman which is really quite unique. There is a lot of silver bits on the XDrive which is more or less obvious or better matched on some colours. However, I specced the car and my wife chose the exterior and went for Silver. Also watch for the interior, some colours go better with the outside than others. I would have preferred the grey leather interior but its not an option yet on the X1 so went for black leather.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 12:03 AM   #5
boxx
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hey Mike
I suggest that it depends all on your situation.

If you're wanting to keep it for a while (like 5-6+ years), I suggest you chose whatever cover you like best, and factor in the practicality of how (or unluckily) here in Aus where I live, the majority of us don't have to worry about the snow (as you and mario486s would have to)

If you only want to keep it for a few years and/or want the best trade in value, then probably go with the "safer" colours so to speak.

It's each to their own, and their own circumstances, I think. There's no right or wrong equation you can apply to everyone.

Me personally, I plan to keep for a while, and am not worried about the potential trade in value that I may or may not need in the future. I wasn't sure what colour to chose but in the end, decided on what colour I liked the best, which was Deep Sea Blue. Let us know what decide to chose.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 09:56 AM   #6
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Space Gray, is by no means, a color that can be considered "not common". It is also one of the best colors that hide dirt, should you not be inclined to give it a nice bath once a week. During the winter months when my outside hoses are put away, I only do a surface spray at a DIY car wash to get rid of road salt. That means from late November to late March, the car is pretty much dirty but you really can't tell.

Any other questions about Space Gray, just ask. I'm sort of partial....

BTW, I'm planning on an X1 when it's released for US sales. Guess which color I'm leaning towards......
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 10:43 AM   #7
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STE92VE View Post
Space Gray, is by no means, a color that can be considered "not common". It is also one of the best colors that hide dirt, should you not be inclined to give it a nice bath once a week. During the winter months when my outside hoses are put away, I only do a surface spray at a DIY car wash to get rid of road salt. That means from late November to late March, the car is pretty much dirty but you really can't tell.

Any other questions about Space Gray, just ask. I'm sort of partial....

BTW, I'm planning on an X1 when it's released for US sales. Guess which color I'm leaning towards......
Its very country spesific, space grey is uncommon in the UK on any BMW. Best example is probably white, almost unheard of to get a few years ago and still quite uncommon, historically the "wrong colour" if you tried selling the car 3-4 years later. Never quite understood this as I actually think most models look very good in it. Black again is hugely popular here.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 10:47 AM   #8
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
Its very country spesific, space grey is uncommon in the UK on any BMW.
Gotcha...
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 11:46 AM   #9
twentyten
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3

Thanks for all the replies so far, please keep them coming.
I'm Reading them on my phone, which isn't very user friendly for typing out long replies, so I'll respond properly next time I'm sat at the computer.

mike
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 12:51 PM   #10
pwceg
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

well here is space grey
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 07:26 PM   #11
Nash
Rep
Drives: X1 xdrive 2.0d

Graphite blue is a soft grey/blue colour but needs a bit of chrome. Changes greatly according to light. I am happy with that choice and picked beige leather to match it. Had a Sea Blue car before and found novelty wore off fairly quickly. Have always gone for greys or blues... and change cars at least every two years. Black is stunning but constant cleaning is a pain. Silver is a bit outdated....(I think and view was shared by Sales people.) Minis tend to be style leaders in colour trends and they seem to have sparked the new "brown" shades. But bear in mind Minis are draped in chrome! And these more earthy colours need chrome to lift them.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 11:27 PM   #12
boxx
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just out of interest, have you got your Graphite Blue delivered yet Nash?

The Marakash Brown is the feature colour here in Aus. The X1 is still very new to Aus and I actually havent' even seen any X1s out on the road here in Adelaide. Can't speak for other states, but not sure if Marakash Brown will be/is a popular colour. Have you guys in Europe seen many in Marakash Brown?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 04:00 AM   #13
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwceg View Post
well here is space grey
Very nice pwceg. I think it suits the car well. My comments about colours in the UK were general. It can also be car spesific, ie some cars look better in a particular colour, an example of this is the new Fiat 500 with over 50% of them being white in the UK. The Golf GTI is also found in white more often than say a BMW 3-series.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 05:26 AM   #14
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxx View Post
Just out of interest, have you got your Graphite Blue delivered yet Nash?

The Marakash Brown is the feature colour here in Aus. The X1 is still very new to Aus and I actually havent' even seen any X1s out on the road here in Adelaide. Can't speak for other states, but not sure if Marakash Brown will be/is a popular colour. Have you guys in Europe seen many in Marakash Brown?
Nope, not seen one yet. Cannot see that it would be very popular here either. Of the 80 or so X1'a on resale through BMW here in the UK there is only one Marakesh Brown on offer. Black and Silver are the predominant colours, followed by Deep Sea Blue.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 09:51 AM   #15
Nash
Rep

Hi Boxx,

Yes, picked up Graphite Blue X1 2.0D about ten weeks ago... will post some pics when I find the cable for my camera!! Like the sound inside the car of the diesel motor - quite soothing. Quite silent once you start cruising at around 115 kmh. First diesel ever owned and surprised how different is the power surge compared to a petrol motor.... big shove and then sort of runs out but as long as gears keep changing car keeps accelerating!

Nash
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 03:51 AM   #16
boxx
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hey Nash
Sounds great. Would love to check out pics when you get a chance. Thanks for the update
Mine's due start of September and its killing me!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2010, 10:08 PM   #17
Nash
Rep

Some bad photographs (very difficult colour to capture)

Finally got around to taking some photographs of graphite blue - embarrassed at how bad my skills as a photographer are - bloody hopeless in fact! But this is an impossible colour to capture in photographs. In direct sunlight it is one colour but as soon as you move, metallic ingredient in paint darkens and shifts colour spectrum and starts reflections. However, it is really easy on the eye moving from dark blue, to mauve to grey blue ... depending on the light.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 08:11 AM   #18
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
Finally got around to taking some photographs of graphite blue - embarrassed at how bad my skills as a photographer are - bloody hopeless in fact! But this is an impossible colour to capture in photographs. In direct sunlight it is one colour but as soon as you move, metallic ingredient in paint darkens and shifts colour spectrum and starts reflections. However, it is really easy on the eye moving from dark blue, to mauve to grey blue ... depending on the light.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 10:11 AM   #19
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Anyone seen any pictures of the new metallic white that's being introduced?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 10:38 AM   #20
E92BSM10
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: E92 320D M-Sport Highline

you have to have black sapphire metallic!!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 11:35 AM   #21
LRS
Dead Head
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
Anyone seen any pictures of the new metallic white that's being introduced?
All I've seen is a large swatch of it compared to Alpine White outside in the sunlight.

In the end we went with the Alpine White as the Mineral Metallic White looked a little bit too "satin shoes" a little like what goes with a wedding dress.

Colour is such a subjective thing and trying to choose something that you really like, yet is safe for resale at the same time is not easy.

We went with the Alpine White for a number of reasons:
  • We already have 2 black cars
  • I think the white looks particularly sporty and fresh and really suits the X1 as a car
  • White looks like it is going to be the new black (BMW seems to have so many white cars now on all their forecourts. White cars are really getting popular, but the risk is that this could be short lived)
  • The Silver and grey look a bit old fashioned and a little frumpy now on the car (sorry, personal opinion only)
  • Green can have a physiological block for some people due to superstition associated with this colour on cars
  • Marrakesh Brown is a really cool new colour, but I'm just not brave enough to go for it

That's my 2 cents worth.

E92 335d SE Auto | Space Grey | Black Leather | 19” 230 Star Spoke | Comfort Access | Lumbar | Heated Seats | Black High Gloss Trim | Pro Nav | Assist | Bluetooth Telematics | Voice Control | High Gloss Shadow Line
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 04:54 PM   #22
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS View Post
All I've seen is a large swatch of it compared to Alpine White outside in the sunlight.

[*]The Silver and grey look a bit old fashioned and a little frumpy now on the car (sorry, personal opinion only)[/LIST]
  • Green can have a physiological block for some people due to superstition associated with this colour on cars
  • Marrakesh Brown is a really cool new colour, but I'm just not brave enough to go for it

That's my 2 cents worth.
I went for silver so I suppose that makes me frumpy...

Actually I am not a big fan of silver but I think on this car it goes well with all that XLine silver trim. And my wife chose the colour, I chose the options
Appreciate 0