E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Exhaust Valve Mod not on Auto ?!?

07-01-2010, 08:56 PM   #1
twistedm3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Exhaust Valve Mod not on Auto ?!?

I just tried the Golf Tee mod on my 330 with steptronic trans and I notice a few things, and I wondered if those who did not like the mod, what transmission type you had?

What I notice was .. as the car is decelerating with stopped traffic ahead on the incline of a hill, the car stumbles right about the point, as it is about to or starts to, downshift, around 2200 rpm or a little lower and when in that state, as you get right back on the gas it does not respond as it has before without the mod.

I also noticed a stumble as I quickly entered into a gas station and as I was positioning the car quickly into the pump area, like I have done in the past, that is when I had the stumble.

I can see were this mod would be great on a manual were one is more in control of the rpm, I would expect most would not have this, as in both cases my foot would have been somewhere in the clutch operation process.

The way that BMW has mapped the programing of the transmission in this RPM range, I wondering if the mod takes to much away from the engine to go along with the RPM-Shift mapping.

Outside of this RPM / speed decl, when not in the condition, there seems to be some change .. but it's hard to say, it seems quicker but not in all conditions.

So I also just removed the mod and then retraced my path and did not have the stumble and the car seems to pull more consistently, yet getting there .. is it faster with the mod or not?, still there is something there .. with the mod yes .. but then again not as consistent. There is something there, but it's seem there is some trade off.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 09:08 PM   #2
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Didn't notice a difference with mine. I have a 330 as well..AT. Try resetting your adaptive throttle if you have an AT. ACC power, hold down Accelerator pedal for 25-30 seconds and then turn off car/turn it back on.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 09:17 PM   #3
twistedm3
Private
United_States
Rep

I'll try that ..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 10:05 AM   #4
twistedm3
Private
United_States
Rep

Here’s my follow-up to my original thoughts on the T-Mod on an automatic that does not have paddle shifters and is driven mostly in DS mode with a few runs in manual.

I did perform an adaptive throttle reset; in fact I did it a few times in a row just to make sure. This did seem to address the stumble but it still seemed as if something was still off with the acceleration and engine response. What I found was with the mod on and when breathing off the throttle while cruising in traffic, say around 60 mph, the rpm would drop down into the 1800-1500 range, with the mod not on the rpm stays around 2100-1900. When one gets back on the throttle, without the mod, the car pushes you back into your seat and the acceleration and engine response is smoother than with the mod.
Appreciate 0