E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > E90 Clutch / Throwout Bearing Noise??? Pedal Adjustment???

07-10-2010, 04:22 PM   #1
jraddington
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i Sedan, 6MT

E90 Clutch / Throwout Bearing Noise??? Pedal Adjustment???

Hello All, I just bought a 2007 328i 6MT and I have been searching for some answers here on the forum. So far I haven't found anyone with the same problem I have... The car runs and shifts great, no noise or vibrations under any conditions UNLESS the clutch pedal is pressed all the way down.

I can only describe it as pressing the clutch pedal "too far". When pressed all the way down there is a screeching noise that pulsates with engine RPM. I can feel the vibration in the clutch pedal and the gear shifter. It seems like maybe the throwout bearing is pushing out too far??? Again, there is no noise, vibration, or any other indication of a problem otherwise.

My wife and I can both drive the car without making the noise by paying attention to how far we push the pedal down, but I am hoping for some kind of adjustment in the pedal travel. I am thinking about putting a block or stopper to prevent the pedal from going all the way down.

Any ideas??? ( Car is just out of factory warranty, this will be a DIY job )
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 10:00 PM   #2
Jed
IN THE KNOW!!!!!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1994 E36 325is; 2007 E92 335i

Weird. I had throwout bearing issues (common issue with E36, E46 and E9X) but the noise stopped when I pushed the clutch in.

Here's a thread:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171030

2007 Jet Black 335i Coupe: Saddle Brown interior | ZSP | ZCP | ZPP | iPod integration.
1994 Hellrot 325is: Sport Package | PSS9 Coilover | AutoThority chip | AutoThority CF Intake | UUC pullies | Dinan HiFlo Throttle Body | UUC StrutBarbarian | UUC Evo II SSK | BMW Motorsports X Brace | Rogue Engineering DMS exhaust | Kumho Ecsta V700 R Comps |
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 11:56 PM   #3
jraddington
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i Sedan, 6MT

Hey Jed

Thanks for the reply, I had actually read through that thread a few days ago. So far I haven't come across anyone who has had the same problem. I get no noise, absolutely zero unless the pedal is pushed completely to the floor. My wife has enough practice with it that she doesn't do it anymore but I still want to make sure it isn't hurting anything. I am searching around for info on the pedals, and seeing about adjusting or doing something to limit the clutch pedal travel.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 07:14 AM   #4
Jed
IN THE KNOW!!!!!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1994 E36 325is; 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraddington View Post
Thanks for the reply, I had actually read through that thread a few days ago. So far I haven't come across anyone who has had the same problem. I get no noise, absolutely zero unless the pedal is pushed completely to the floor. My wife has enough practice with it that she doesn't do it anymore but I still want to make sure it isn't hurting anything. I am searching around for info on the pedals, and seeing about adjusting or doing something to limit the clutch pedal travel.
As far as limiting clutch pedal travel, you can always get a clutch stop. I mean, it's not a real fix but at least it might help with the noise for now. But it'd be interesting to see what is going on with it.

Good luck!

2007 Jet Black 335i Coupe: Saddle Brown interior | ZSP | ZCP | ZPP | iPod integration.
1994 Hellrot 325is: Sport Package | PSS9 Coilover | AutoThority chip | AutoThority CF Intake | UUC pullies | Dinan HiFlo Throttle Body | UUC StrutBarbarian | UUC Evo II SSK | BMW Motorsports X Brace | Rogue Engineering DMS exhaust | Kumho Ecsta V700 R Comps |
Appreciate 0