BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

Mporium BMW

07-12-2010, 02:30 AM   #1
ducman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

DIY: No Holes Front License Plate (no tow hook)

I didn't come up with this clean, cheap, yet very effective solution to a front license plate with no holes. Since it took a while to search and find these posts, I'm going to link them all here.

The original post by khaye1: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374893

Here's a pic of my fake plate (still waiting for the real one).

What you need?
1. Bell / adjustable license plate mounting bracket from Autozone...$8.99
2. Two (big yet small hole) washers from Home Depot...$0.40
3. Might need some padding on the back of your license plate so that they don't scratch the bumper (I haven't got to this part yet since I have fake 'plastic' plate).

I was able to pop off part of the bottom grill but it was still too much trouble to put on the washer. So I had to take off the bumper which was a pain in the ass to put back on but it was so worth for a noob like me. You might need a 2nd pair of hands for this. Here's the DIY for the front bumper removal: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...69&postcount=3

You do not have to take off the full bumper. I recommend taking off the passenger or driver side part of the bumper to place your arms behind it. It's pretty easy from their on.

If you don't want to take the bumper off, then you can drill the bottom of it like frankie did in his post: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=378549
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 08:23 AM   #2
Frozen grey
CEO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 frozen grey M3

Here's a easy fix what I did not havin to mess with takin things apart.
Just take the nut and washer & solder them together with acid core solder & small torch, than solder small wire , I used baling wire to the washer bend wire to feed throught back side of grill attach bolt from front and than trim wire & bend out of sight and there u go easy hope this helps!
Mark B.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 07:23 AM   #3
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [6.88]
if you really wanted to be extreme, you could take off your front bumper, put magnets on the back side where the license plate would be. Then put magnets on the license plate.

This way you have a magnet plate mount, and can remove the license plate anytime you want.
Intakes, 13% Underdrive pulley, 3.91 Differential, RPI Scoops.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 12:15 AM   #4
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Just use the original bracket people. It's secured with 2 bolts under the bumper, completely invisible. And rather than drilling the bumper for the upper 2 bolts, just put double-sided tape behind the bracket and it won't go anywhere. Or bang anywhere. And it already comes body-colored .
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 06:31 PM   #5
Brucewonder
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 yea boi

i just use double sided tape on my previous car for fix-it tickets and euro plates back then
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
Ohh_5H1T
Captain
Rep
Drives: Backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducman View Post
I didn't come up with this clean, cheap, yet very effective solution to a front license plate with no holes. Since it took a while to search and find these posts, I'm going to link them all here.

The original post by khaye1: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374893

Here's a pic of my fake plate (still waiting for the real one).

What you need?
1. Bell / adjustable license plate mounting bracket from Autozone...$8.99
2. Two (big yet small hole) washers from Home Depot...$0.40
3. Might need some padding on the back of your license plate so that they don't scratch the bumper (I haven't got to this part yet since I have fake 'plastic' plate).

I was able to pop off part of the bottom grill but it was still too much trouble to put on the washer. So I had to take off the bumper which was a pain in the ass to put back on but it was so worth for a noob like me. You might need a 2nd pair of hands for this. Here's the DIY for the front bumper removal: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...69&postcount=3

You do not have to take off the full bumper. I recommend taking off the passenger or driver side part of the bumper to place your arms behind it. It's pretty easy from their on.

If you don't want to take the bumper off, then you can drill the bottom of it like frankie did in his post: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=378549
Really helpful! i like all these options! thank you!
      08-07-2012, 02:01 PM   #7
Ohh_5H1T
Captain
Rep
Drives: Backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyaman View Post
if you really wanted to be extreme, you could take off your front bumper, put magnets on the back side where the license plate would be. Then put magnets on the license plate.

This way you have a magnet plate mount, and can remove the license plate anytime you want.
Someone had suggested this but i didnt want to go through removing that bumper again. Its a pain in the ass. (had to remove it to wrap it).
      08-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #8
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Just use the original bracket people. It's secured with 2 bolts under the bumper, completely invisible. And rather than drilling the bumper for the upper 2 bolts, just put double-sided tape behind the bracket and it won't go anywhere. Or bang anywhere. And it already comes body-colored .
This will be the method I use, if I have to succumb to a front plate. It's required here, but I'm not running one right now. How do these under-bumper bolts typically secure to the bumper? Self-tapping screws? I have the front bracket, but I don't think any screws.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #9
jwaggen
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Anyone know whether removing the front kidney grille(s) will allow for a hand to go reach down and position the rear washer/nuts?
      05-22-2013, 07:38 PM   #10
crunchy_frog
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

i think it would be easier to use spring toggle wing bolts and insert them thru the holes in the mesh instead of taking apart the grill or bumper.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Sprin...-a&channel=rcs

Last edited by crunchy_frog; 05-22-2013 at 07:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #11
jwaggen
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Great idea! I hope this works without too much wobbling...

Last edited by jwaggen; 05-27-2013 at 09:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 07:35 AM   #12
hdoc2005
Registered
Rep
Drives: Grey '11 E90 M3

nicely done! thanks for sharing
Appreciate 0