New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

07-12-2010, 08:23 PM   #1
Z4BMC
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 s35i

Custom exhaust choices

hey, guys
I am looking forward for a quad exhaust system. After doing research, I decide to choose between 3D design(with rear diffuser) and Eisenmann.
Does anyone using these two system? What is the sound like? I have listened a lot on youtube, so hard to pick.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 08:41 AM   #2
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

We have the Eisenmann 2x90 mm Race Exhaust. A very high quality system with good sound. The only issue is the "droning" common with any high flow rate system, and that occurs at about 1,800-2,100 RPM when accelerating in a high gear. The problem is easily solved by more aggressive shifting and gear selection so that you do not "lug" the motor. My wife loves it and would never return to the stock system as she complained heavily that it was way too quiet.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 09:12 AM   #3
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBMW View Post
We have the Eisenmann 2x90 mm Race Exhaust. A very high quality system with good sound. The only issue is the "droning" common with any high flow rate system, and that occurs at about 1,800-2,100 RPM when accelerating in a high gear. The problem is easily solved by more aggressive shifting and gear selection so that you do not "lug" the motor. My wife loves it and would never return to the stock system as she complained heavily that it was way too quiet.
Any droaning at highway cruising speeds?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 09:40 AM   #4
MDLFCS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Zee Four 35i

I thought the stock exhaust was loud enough while accelerating, especially when the background noise was quiet.

What can muffle the exhaust sound though are the environmental noises and the noisy run-flat tires on rough surfaces, especially with the top down.

Having the droning noises during cruising can be a unsatisfying and tiring driving experience where you would want to relax after all those exciting and exhilarating accelerations.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 10:01 AM   #5
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

The "drone" is from about 65 mph to 69 mph BUT ONLY in 7th gear when applying the gas - I have learned to shift more aggressively to avoid this issue when I need to accelerate briskly. At normal highway speeds 70mph+ it is not an issue. Yes, it is a little louder but we are aggressive people and like it. A similar drone is when in 7th at 45 mph and applying the gas - I think you get the picture. Just shift more aggressively and don't try to save gas by lugging the motor.

I think the key here is to know what you are. I am a maniac - like power, speed, noise, gas/oil fumes, and burning tires. A full throttle as often as possible type of guy and my wife is very similar. If you like quiet journeys with gentle breezes and french wine - do not get this exhaust. I drink single malt scotch neat.

Last edited by Vintage; 07-13-2010 at 10:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 12:20 PM   #6
Roadstergal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i

I have been toying with the idea of changing the exhaust to something louder in the future. I don't want to have to cut the bumper, but am hoping that I can get something that would make the car sound more aggressive without altering the bumper. I don't need a quad exhaust. I like the exhaust pipes that are stock on this car. I don't like the ones that look thin and are perfectly round.
Just one thing, what is droning? Also, what exhaust would fit my needs?
E36 - 1998 Z3 2.8 (Red, black leather, wood trim)
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 02:03 PM   #7
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBMW View Post
The "drone" is from about 65 mph to 69 mph BUT ONLY in 7th gear when applying the gas - I have learned to shift more aggressively to avoid this issue when I need to accelerate briskly. At normal highway speeds 70mph+ it is not an issue. Yes, it is a little louder but we are aggressive people and like it. A similar drone is when in 7th at 45 mph and applying the gas - I think you get the picture. Just shift more aggressively and don't try to save gas by lugging the motor.

I think the key here is to know what you are. I am a maniac - like power, speed, noise, gas/oil fumes, and burning tires. A full throttle as often as possible type of guy and my wife is very similar. If you like quiet journeys with gentle breezes and french wine - do not get this exhaust. I drink single malt scotch neat.
We are both the same. Love an aggressive exhaust. Throttle tip in drone is not a big deal. Can't handle a steady drone at highway speed. I would expect most any aftermarket exhaust to have a low rpm tip in drone. As long as it goes away it's all good.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 02:06 PM   #8
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstergal View Post
I have been toying with the idea of changing the exhaust to something louder in the future. I don't want to have to cut the bumper, but am hoping that I can get something that would make the car sound more aggressive without altering the bumper. I don't need a quad exhaust. I like the exhaust pipes that are stock on this car. I don't like the ones that look thin and are perfectly round.
Vintage has just the exhaust you are looking for. No bumper cutting needed. Drone is a wollowing sound that resonates through the cabin, some exhausts can make at a steady low rpm. It can be very annoying if the drone rpm is the same as your highway cruise rpm.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 02:38 PM   #9
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Vintage's system might be a bit aggressive for you but he can be your guild to a system best suited from your needs.

Droning is a annoying low frequency resonance that results from an engine that is lightly loaded and running at a relatively low RPM, for instance during cruising. The engine speed is the primary factor.

Typically, you won't hear it as much with the old style smaller diameter exhaust tubes, but those system restrict exhaust flow, make the engine work harder and limit horsepower. Larger tubes allow the engine to reach it's potential but are more prone to a resonance effect (i.e., "drone") within the exhaust system.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Last edited by teagueAMX; 07-13-2010 at 02:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 04:58 PM   #10
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Just one thing, what is droning?
Easiest way to picture it is to think of a swarm or hive of bees.
Droning is named after the sound made by the worker bees in their hive (the drones), all fanning their wings together to cool the hive.
Any low frequency buzzing sound is called droning.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0