E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > What should I do?

07-14-2010, 08:13 PM   #1
timored
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92

What should I do?

What should I do? I have a 2007 coupe 328i automatic.

I would like to add more power (tunes,CAI,etc.) to it and add an exhaust or muffler delete to get power/ great low tone growl.

I am not very experienced with e92 as I just got it. What would you guys recommend.

P.S. I am student and not a billionaire so please dont advise things that cost a fortune.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 08:29 PM   #2
Wakeboarder442002
Rep
Drives: '07 328i

Hey man I am new too but I know enough to search before posting a thread like this. I don't want to sound like a dick, I just thought I would give you a friendly heads up before others start rippin on you. By the way, look for a BMS powerbox, BMW performance exhaust, and an AFE CAI those will be your best bet. Good luck and congrats on the purchase, I myself just picked up an '07 328i CPO with 24k on it and am very happy thus far.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 08:48 PM   #3
timored
Private First Class
Rep

Well actually ask me any question you want and ill answer it. I have researched and I am just looking at different combos people prefer but yes I have done my research and BMS is not the only tune out their. I dont like the bmw performance exhaust and i am just looking at what people will recommend.

Thanks for letting me know though.

Last edited by timored; 07-14-2010 at 09:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 09:30 PM   #4
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i

Welcome to you both, the PBX is a great entry level tune for you guys to try, and if its not enough for you I also offer a full valvetronic tune which pulls more power out of the car then the PBX. I carry both options should you need some help

Also the MMW performance exhaust is finished and is almost ready for market, videos will be up soon. If your looking for a out of the box option you can go for a Remus, Top Speed, or Ikon muffler which are cheaper alternatives to the actual BMW perf exhaust.

for an intake I would reccomend and personally use the aFe stage 2 with a dry filter, its a nice mellow growl of a sound and flows like a champion. aFe pulls experience form the diesel scene where filtration and airflow is everything.

Let me know if I can be of service with some options or answers to any questions
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 10:14 PM   #5
Wake27
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i ZPP ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by timored View Post
Well actually ask me any question you want and ill answer it. I have researched and I am just looking at different combos people prefer but yes I have done my research and BMS is not the only tune out their. I dont like the bmw performance exhaust and i am just looking at what people will recommend.

Thanks for letting me know though.
By research do you mean on the forums? Because there is actually a lot out there right now on stuff to do for your car. All of it headed by the man who posted right before me. Take a look at his downpipes thread, as well as Gintani tune, aka "the tune to end all tunes."
2006 JB 330i/ZPP/ZSP/I-Drive/Heated Seats/L7/Blacklines/19" Gunmetal V710's on Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas/BMS PBX/Red MFD Scoops/Matte black grilles/Matte black Amber Gone 2.0s/BSW center midrange speaker/35% tint/Black and white roundels
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 10:22 PM   #6
Wlew
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

+1 to letting Craven help you out with anything. He will set you up nicely.

I also recommend the AFE intake. I have the oiled filter, but they do the same thing.

As for exhaust I really would recommend the Top Speed muffler with a resonator delete. This is the set up I have and I absolutely love it. It is a nice deep low growl and sounds great through the power-band. The BMW performance exhaust is great, but not worth the grand it will cost you. It sounds just like the others give or take, in my opinion. Yea it sounds better than most I agree, but is it really worth paying 600 more dollars for a factory muffler that has a different sound? only difference is no resonator and less restricted pipes... but I dont even think you lose much weight with it. In my opinion it is not worth it.

As for Chips etc, I am currently running the bms pbx and absolutely love it. It really gets rid of the lag via remapping the throttle response. I suggest the Gintani tune as well. this gives you more power as Craven said, and can be paired with the pbx for better throttle response. I will be stacking the two as soon as the ez flash module becomes available, although we do not have a set date for this...

You can also get scoops, but those will not help too much except at higher speeds.

Look into lighter weight wheels as well. this will lose you some weight.

hope this helps.
      07-14-2010, 10:40 PM   #7
Wake27
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlew View Post
+1 to letting Craven help you out with anything. He will set you up nicely.

I also recommend the AFE intake. I have the oiled filter, but they do the same thing.

As for exhaust I really would recommend the Top Speed muffler with a resonator delete. This is the set up I have and I absolutely love it. It is a nice deep low growl and sounds great through the power-band. The BMW performance exhaust is great, but not worth the grand it will cost you. It sounds just like the others give or take, in my opinion. Yea it sounds better than most I agree, but is it really worth paying 600 more dollars for a factory muffler that has a different sound? only difference is no resonator and less restricted pipes... but I dont even think you lose much weight with it. In my opinion it is not worth it.

As for Chips etc, I am currently running the bms pbx and absolutely love it. It really gets rid of the lag via remapping the throttle response. I suggest the Gintani tune as well. this gives you more power as Craven said, and can be paired with the pbx for better throttle response. I will be stacking the two as soon as the ez flash module becomes available, although we do not have a set date for this...

You can also get scoops, but those will not help too much except at higher speeds.

Look into lighter weight wheels as well. this will lose you some weight.

hope this helps.
Nice post. Lot's of good stuff there OP. Except the blasphemy about the PE

Also, OP I noticed in your info it says you drive a 335?
2006 JB 330i/ZPP/ZSP/I-Drive/Heated Seats/L7/Blacklines/19" Gunmetal V710's on Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas/BMS PBX/Red MFD Scoops/Matte black grilles/Matte black Amber Gone 2.0s/BSW center midrange speaker/35% tint/Black and white roundels
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 06:30 AM   #8
timored
Private First Class
Rep

oops ill need to change that. I created the account and put in 335 before i had a e9x series lol. But ill change it now. Sorry if it confused anyone.

So basically I am now sure Ill be getting Afe Stage 2.

Also Craven how much would each of those tunes cost?

Thank you for all the help guys.

Thanks, TIM
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 11:57 AM   #9
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i

Ill drop you a PM
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 01:05 PM   #10
Wake27
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

The PBX is pretty cheap for what it is. The Gintani tune will be a good amount more, but its a much more complicated system with more features (top speed limiter removed being a nice one of these).
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 02:39 PM   #11
Wlew
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

haha I was not meaning to bash the PE. I love it. I think it sounds awesome. just not worth the dolla dolla billz, in my opinion. However, if you can get one for cheap... heck yea claim it. The tips look really nice too.