E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Exciting News (for me) from AV Electronics, Inc - DVD movie function for iDrive

09-05-2005, 11:05 PM   #1
cdheaven
I'm Starving , So I Guess You Are What You Eat
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Exciting News (for me) from AV Electronics, Inc - DVD movie function for iDrive

i emailed AV Electronic about their plug and play systems, here was their response...

Hi,

We will be releasing the new version Navigation Video Switcher for the new 3 series BMW. With our system, you’ll not loose any factory functions and you don’t need to drill and install any switch inside your car and it’s Valet–parked safe. Please check or call back in 3 weeks.

Thanks,

Sales Team

AV Electronic, Inc.

770/418-1793

I will PROBABLY be purchassing this right away.
check out the site now. http://www.avelectronic.com/products.htm
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2005, 11:07 PM   #2
res_ipsa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i SparkGraphite

What does this thing do? Thx.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2005, 11:09 PM   #3
cdheaven
Rep

its let you watch Dvds on the factory screen. they also sell a 10 disc Dvd changer, rear view cameras that display on the stock screen. etc etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2005, 11:12 PM   #4
res_ipsa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i SparkGraphite

Cool, thanks for the heads up on that. I don't plan on keeping my eyes on my DVD while driving but still fun to be able to play a DVD and listen to my favorite lines or catch a few scenes while waiting for my gf outside her house or something. Hopefully it's not too pricey.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2005, 11:16 PM   #5
cdheaven
Rep

it should be around 600 bucks. and then the optional DVD changer will be a little less then that. and then they have other fun accessories that some people will want. the rear view camera is fun. it will automatically display on the screen whenever the car is put in reverse. this will also have inputs for a ps2 or xbox. as well as outputs for anyone who wants extra tvs.....
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2005, 11:17 PM   #6
cdheaven
Rep

o. i also emailed them back about a possible group buy. maybe we can save a little bit if we agree to buy a couple of them as a group. let me know if you MIGHT be interested. i might be jumping the gun
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2005, 02:40 AM   #7
sunchild
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

GROUP BUY!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2005, 04:25 AM   #8
sunchild
Lieutenant
Rep

thats right, it better have iDrive function. I don't want dominic's of navtv because that requires a video switcher and it is not oem or simple. you have to video "switch out" to something else... soooo uncool.

i hope the iDrive functionality will be nice... Plus, passengers can watch DVD on the left screen while you can watch directions for navigation on the small right screen. i saw a photo of it somewhere of a E90 in Africa with right hand drive with a dvd just like how i described it. DVD video on the wide portion of the screen and the secondary square portion utilized for navigation... sweet.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2005, 05:30 AM   #9
Tierfreund
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchild
thats right, it better have iDrive function. I don't want dominic's of navtv because that requires a video switcher and it is not oem or simple. you have to video "switch out" to something else... soooo uncool.

i hope the iDrive functionality will be nice... Plus, passengers can watch DVD on the left screen while you can watch directions for navigation on the small right screen. i saw a photo of it somewhere of a E90 in Africa with right hand drive with a dvd just like how i described it. DVD video on the wide portion of the screen and the secondary square portion utilized for navigation... sweet.
I don´t think it´ll work that way. My guess is, it´ll be a simple (or complex if you like) RGB switcher as has been done plenty of times before. So it´s either I-drive or Aux, but not a mix. To be integrated in I-drive, they´d have to mod the I-drive-SW and I don´t think that´s been done jet. Besides, I-drive and the prof nav are buggy allready, do you really want someone to hack that?

Maybe someon should go and request details from the vendor as to how it really works. Or the first adopter should be asked to post a DIY and a review before everybody jumps the bandwaggon.
      09-06-2005, 05:56 AM   #10
sunchild
Lieutenant
Rep

i think ... hope ... this is like the factory option in europe/africa.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2005, 06:01 AM   #11
Tierfreund
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchild
i think ... hope ... this is like the factory option in europe/africa.
It´s not. Check the website. It´s the usual switcher for the video signal. I-drive integration such as you are hoping for would be really complex. I don´t think we´re going to see that any time soon from the aftermarket. The 7series with i-drive has been around for quite some time now and jet no aftermarktet company has dared to tap into that either.
The european TV option is integrated into i-drive but it also incorporates a very strict barrier against any tv or video screen while the car is moving. If you want it anyway, try retrofitting the TV tuner. There is a kit available in Europe, but it also requires recoding the car which US dealers might not have the software to do.
      09-06-2005, 09:57 AM   #12
darkie
Private
Rep
Drives: going to be 330i

Tierfreund is right, if you look at the website under what they did on the 7-series, it takes up the entire screen. NavtoTV is only on the left hand screen i believe (not sure).

both AV electronics and NavtoTV are switchers...i don't know anybody that can split the screen to have both the video and nav at the same time.

it will be some time before someone here in the states gets a hold of the european unit and reverse engineers it to accept a video signal without interupting the nav signal. plus i don't know if it requires programming or what to allow it to play when the car is in motion.

But like you, one can always hope....
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2005, 10:18 AM   #13
cdheaven
Rep

i also doubt it will work perfectly with the idrive. buuuuut
the part that gives me hope is, it says you dont need to instal a switch. this is huge. normal you have to instal a switch somewhere. flip the switch one way, and you get the factory screen, and i drive works like normal. flip the switch the other way and you get the aftermarket dvd screen. if there is no switch, how else do you tell it to swap screens???? hopefully they will email me back today about the group buy. and i will direct them to this thread so hopefully we can get more questions answered
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2005, 01:17 PM   #14
darkie
Private
Rep
Drives: going to be 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdheaven
i also doubt it will work perfectly with the idrive. buuuuut
the part that gives me hope is, it says you dont need to instal a switch. this is huge. normal you have to instal a switch somewhere. flip the switch one way, and you get the factory screen, and i drive works like normal. flip the switch the other way and you get the aftermarket dvd screen. if there is no switch, how else do you tell it to swap screens???? hopefully they will email me back today about the group buy. and i will direct them to this thread so hopefully we can get more questions answered
with the navtotv unit, it's a wireless remote. so no switch. I know what you mean, the unit that some TL owners use requires you to put a switch somewhere in the car to switch signals.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2005, 01:27 PM   #15
sunchild
Lieutenant
Rep

yeah, the part where you don't have a switcher and it works for iDrive gives me hope.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2005, 01:29 PM   #16
cdheaven
Rep

i spoke with them again. they called me. very nice people. they are willing to do a group buy. buts its gonna be a one time only deal when it first comes out, which should be in about 3-4 weeks. it doesnt use the idrive. they agreed that the stock idrive is already buggy.
its gonna be about 550. they couldnt give me an idea of what the discount will be yet.
its the same exact unit that will work with the new 5 and the new 6.
its got a video amplifier built in for people that wanna add 2 or 3 more screens. its got 3 video camera inputs, which is totally unnessacarry, but fun. one of the 3 will automatically display when the car is put into reverese. its got 4 audio/video inputs, one of which is an S video. so you can have a ps2, dvd changer, x box AND mobile computer at the same time.
here is the email they sent me

Hi Derek,

We will consider doing a one time group buy for the release of a new system if you will organize it.

With the new system, you will be able to do not just the back-up camera but also the front and side camera if the user wishes to. With the front Cam install, when you parallel park, the system will automatically switches between the front and rear cams. This plug&play system is already available for all BMW (except the new 3,5,&6 series). Please, check back with us.

anyway. let me know if you are interested. im assuming the 5 people mark will lower it just a little, and the 10 people mark will lower it a decent amount. im sure there are 10 people on here that would like to watch dvds on their stock screen!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2005, 04:16 PM   #17
Agni
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 435i M Gran Coupe

Garage List
2009 335xi  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Thats cool, i think I might get one eventually
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2005, 04:20 PM   #18
ZenDriver
Do Not Taunt Zen Driver.
Rep
Drives: 325i w/ MT, ZSP in Graphite

Cool...

So as your driving around with your front windscreen tinted and only your fog lights on in the middle of the night, you can also watch 2Fast2Furious!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2005, 04:33 PM   #19
blaine
Rep
Drives: 2011 m3 sedan

If this thing had some type of dvi or vga input for a small in-car computer i would be sold on it in an instant! Unfortunately if it only has s-video i just dont think it will be able to handle a computer's output and still have crisp legible text.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2005, 04:39 PM   #20
cdheaven
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenDriver
Cool...

So as your driving around with your front windscreen tinted and only your fog lights on in the middle of the night, you can also watch 2Fast2Furious!

i love 2fast2forious!!! syke. but you guys are too funny. actually, i will probably be watching cartoons. cause all i really watch are cartoons. but you guys on this bmw forum just know me too well. i ask one simple question and now you guys know every thing i do, and all about how i drive.

anyway, on a more serious manner.
This company sells an optional in car computer. i dont know anything about in car computers. you can probably ask zendriver,because he seems to know everything.
so if you decide to go with the incar computer this company sells, obviously it will work. i wouldnt know anything about building or buying a different one though

p.s. what the hell is windscreen. and i already told you guys im only gonna drive around with my interior ambiant lighting on from now. cause that looks the COOLEST. are you jealous of my newer, nicer car, or my better eyesight. orrrrrr the fact that i can have a movie PLAYING, and still have enough common sense to watch the road?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2005, 05:42 PM   #21
coco
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bimmmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenDriver
Cool...

Chill out man, he's just trying to share info with members that might be interested in this. Some people should really abide by the rule that if you don't have any good to say, then no need to say it. To each his own and let's just get along.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2005, 05:49 PM   #22
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
i'm in for a group buy.
Appreciate 0